1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's What the Rockets Should Do Without a CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

Ok, so now the NBA players are locked out. Bargaining is crawling along with not much give on either side. Most of the owners claim they are losing money, mainly because of the high dollar salaries the players demand. Meanwhile, the fans are anxious about the possibility of a lost or delayed season...I know I am. Let's face it, professional athletes demand and are paid too much money...ticket prices subsequently cost too much money...and owners are in a quandary as they are trying to run a business and pursue a championship without profit. Meanwhile, the fans are left wanting as teams are unable to do their business of trades, pursuing free agents, developing the new crop of drafted rookies, rehabbing injured players, familiarizing players to new coaches, etc.

I have no idea how the details of a new collective bargaining agreement will work out for everyone's benefit. I do have some ideas about what the Rocket players should do if August arrives and there is no agreement on the immediate horizon. They should all assemble in Houston, rent a gym, hire some non-NBA trainers and coaches and go to work. They should make a concerted team effort to get in excellent shape and start scrimmaging against one another. The veterans can school the rookies and newer players in the finer arts of NBA play as the team begins the journey of coalescing into a competitive unit.

Who knows, maybe a labor agreement will be reached in time for regular training camp. If so, the current squad of signed players will be in great shape and ready to embrace new coach Kevin Mchale's system of play. If not, then what? Then, the Rocket players should contact the players on the Spurs and Mavericks and start scheduling some exhibition games around Texas. This would serve several purposes...one, it would allow the players to do what they love the most...play basketball games. Two, it would allow fans to watch their favorite players play ball in venues that are affordable. Three, it would motivate the owners to get a contract done. Four, the players would be honing their skills for the day when the real season begins.

I truly hope it doesn't come down to this, but it would be interesting to watch as players take the initiative to direct their own course without owners and agents.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/nba/2011/06/n...yers-wont-like-how-it-will-end/#comment-51853