1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's info on the Rockets/Warriors situation regarding Marc Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, Sep 30, 2001.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

Published Sunday, September 30, 2001

Warriors mulling Jackson options
    By Matt Steinmetz
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OAKLAND -- Marc Jackson has felt the squeeze of the Golden State Warriors all offseason.

Now he's putting the pressure on them.

"I would like to play for the Houston Rockets," Jackson said Saturday from Houston.

On Friday, the Rockets and Jackson agreed to a contract worth $24.375 million over six years. That offer sheet is expected to become official on Monday, at which time the Warriors will have 15 days to decide whether or not to match it and retain Jackson's services.

Although Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean has maintained he will not comment until the offer sheet arrives, he cannot be enamored with the prospect of bringing back a player who has no interest in being a Warrior. Still, by not matching, the Warriors would outright lose a player who averaged 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game, has the ability to play power forward and center and finished third in the Rookie of the Year Balloting.

"That's a great question," Jackson responded when asked what he would do if he had to return to Golden State. "I'd have to show up and do my job. I'll be professional but will I be happy? I don't think so. Nobody could do that. I might have a smile on my face and I'll work my (butt) off, but under my jersey, under my skin and in my heart I will be very, very upset."

The Warriors still have the upper hand -- and options -- but they are no longer in the dominant position they were before the offer was made. The Warriors undoubtedly will spend upcoming days trying to work out a deal with Houston, one that would both allow Jackson to play for the Rockets and get Golden State something in return.

That scenario would go something like this: The Warriors would agree not to match the Jackson offer, with the understanding the two teams work out a deal that might favor the Warriors -- because they're allowing Jackson to go to Houston.

The problem is the players Houston would likely be willing to give up don't hold much appeal for the Warriors. One possibility would be that the Warriors would agree not to match the Jackson offer, then trade guard Bob Sura to the Rockets for swingman Walt Williams.

Williams, who will make $5 million this season, played for St. Jean in Sacramento and is in the last year of his contract. Sura, who is among several backcourt players vying for playing time, has had back problems and has a contract that runs through 2004. He will make just over $5 million this year.

The Warriors likely will be taking and fielding calls for Jackson. If the Warriors believe there is sufficient interest in Jackson -- who will make $3.25 million this season -- they could match the offer and trade him to another team. However, they would have to wait 90 days from the date he is re-signed before they can move him. There will also be base-year compensation issues under that scenario, making a trade more difficult.

Jackson said he thinks there's bad blood between the Warriors and him, and it is playing into the situation.

"I think they were upset when I said at the end of the year that I wanted to look around (for offers)," he said. "But they didn't want to make me an offer. People kept telling me that that Saint said they were content to let me marinate, that's the word he used. They also tell everyone they want me but they drafted Troy Murphy (a power forward). Obviously they don't want me. They have Erick Dampier, Danny Fortson, Adonal Foyle, Corie Blount. Antawn (Jamison) is going to play four. I mean, they don't even need me."

Jackson, however, didn't show any interest in returning to the Warriors. He cleaned out his locker immediately following the season and never worked out in Oakland, even as many of his teammates did.

Jackson said he was stung by a comment he read in a newspaper earlier this summer attributed to coach Dave Cowens.

"He said that I didn't want to work for anything, that I wanted it all handed to me," Jackson said. "I couldn't believe that. That's not the way I am. I came in last year and worked hard and made the team. Then I waited for my chance to play. I don't want anything handed to me."