1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's how to free up $9m in cap room.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 18, 1999.

1. RocketHead2

RocketHead2 Member

Once again I agree with Spencer

Read my post in "What we need in the lottery"

2. heypartner

heypartner Member

I agree with Spencer and the thecabbage...no trades now. but when the trading deadline comes, dream is back, and the playoff contenders needs some big men and pure shooters, management must seriously consider what we have and what we want in the future.

I'm not really suggesting any trades. I'm looking to prevent non-winners from draining our salary cap room. I would do anything to get those players off my team in exchange for last-yr contract players who can be rescinded...it happens all the time.

thecabbage is right...after the Boston game you must give Cato time. I snuck down to 1 row behind the bench that game and I have some comments about Cato/Rudy to relate...another thread. In quick summary, Cato going 11-11 is a tribute to the team system. Sure, Cato with his athleticism can benefit more than your average center, but Rogers is not what I'd call a coveted player and he can go 7-9 as well.

My point here, Cato's game does not mean Rudy is happy with his defense, yet. And his defensive potential is the main reason for his $42m salary.

My contribution in this thread is to point out that Cato's contract can be dumped this year, probably easier than years to follow.

Thanks Dreamshake, cabbage, Mango...next I will post last contract year players who add up to Cato, Walt and Bullard. I can't profess to know what other teams are thinking, or even being interested in trade speculation,,,but I can contribute numbers and CBA factoids, for those inclined to chat that up.

Dreamshake,,,do you think Clippers really have any control over what Mo/Falk does...i suspect they will take less than market for Mo. Odom could use a PF...I suspect they will want to surround him with all the rebounding they can get to getting open in transition (which is where he will really excel).

3. Mango

Mango Member

heypartner,

One other quibble about your thoughts on moving Cato. Give us the name of the future center that will take his place.
    Dream is a season and a half from retiring and Hamilton can give you some minutes, but what is the name of the center to take Cato's place.

Pros

1. No weight or apparent physical problems.

2. Is athletic.

3. Can be quite exciting at times.

4. Wants to do right. No attitude problem.

5. No sign of mooching friends ("posse")

Cons

1. No postup game.

2. Focus problem

3. Out of control at times.

Cato has potential and since the cons against him can probably be fixed with some serious tutoring, stick with Cato.

Will he be another Dream or Shaq?
    No, but he is good enough with some polishing to sand the rough edges off.

After getting past the name centers such as Shaq, Mourning and Mutombo, how would you rank Cato?

Mango

4. heypartner

heypartner Member

Mango,

I don't mean to say trade him. I'm presenting numbers and explaining how $9m cap room is doable, but requires tough decisions.

To answer your questions"
    Mo Taylor, Jamie Feick! Center by committee. A big, smart passer, rebounder. Plus $15m of cap room after Dream retires should help. There are plenty of centers who would want to be with Francis/Mobley/Anderson.

But Mango,,,,I do agree with you. Cato has glorious potential. But I'm talking about $9m in cap room!! The league is full of potential....I want hungry winners. I don't yet see that in Cato...Boston game just showed me a team effort with aggressive slams by Cato. I also suspect there is some attitude problems behind the scenes, or he'd be starting! You know in the Boston game, I was behind the bench and Cato never made eye-contact with Rudy. Mobly/Francis/Rogers are right there in Rudy's face at every time-out.

I'm hoping he'll realize his potential...I'm really with you there. But this is a man who never really was a leader even at Iowa State and who is simply Mr. Potential since college, with some athletic Highlight Reels. Reminds me of another mr. potential...Robert Horry. He's not showing me the defense we will be paying $7m average for starting next year.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 20, 1999).]

5. Mango

Mango Member

Taylor is 6'9" and Feick is 6'8".
    Unless they are the offspring of Unseld, they are power forwards and not centers.
    That is also banking that you will resign Taylor in the summer. I can't do anything like that. That also involves deals with 2 teams and again you are gambling that you can make both trades.

Tell me again where Cato stands in your universe of NBA centers.

Perhaps Cato still feels a bit sheepish about getting in Rudy's doghouse for nonperformance in recent games and that is why he failed to look at Rudy.
    Until I hear something definite, Cato doesn't have an attitude problem.

Mango

6. Tha Play Maker

I love how people come on this board and put up these absurd scenarios and hope that people will agree with them. Strikes me as lunacy sometimes, but its fairly interesting and I enjoy it most of the time. Oh well...

------------------
    If blended properly, youth and experience can be deadly...

7. heypartner

heypartner Member

Playmaker,

touche. trade speculation is absurd.

But I am just doing the math here and letting people know their is an salary cap ploy called renouncing free agents. I don't agree with myself on the trade...i'm just saying these numbers are correct, and renouncing is part of salary cap squirming.

I just thought those who enjoy trade speculation would appreciate the research.

8. Mango

Mango Member

heypartner,

In your post above, I think you meant superior backcourt.

Doubtful if you can ever convince me to agree with you on this matter.

Mango

9. heypartner

heypartner Member

I didn't say getting *both* Mo and Feick. For the sake of argument not I want to speculate on such a trade, but Walt/Cato/Bullard for Gill/Feick matches current salaries, then renouncing Gill in the summer subtracts $10.333m from our salary.

Feick is playing center right now. TMass will be playing as much center for us when he comes back as PF. There are 6-9 centers in this league...who are doing the job on the boards. Feick. Fortson. Foyle, in the mold of Carr. I'm don't need a Unseld or Cowens. Just give me the defense/rebounding and smart offensive positioning.

There are about 5 centers who are stars...yes I agree. Shaq, Duncan, Mourning, Mutombo, (not mentioning Dream, Robinson), I'd throw Webber in there too as a possible center. Yes, after that (am I missing someone) there is a noticeable drop-off.

After that I see Wallace, Sabonis better than Cato. A healthy Jayson Williams. Mo Taylor many would rate higher in a no center-double PF system. Ahead of Cato on Defense/Rebounding/Desire are the three Fs: Feick, Fortson and Foyle. Hell, you'd have to consider the argument that Pollard and LaFrentz are as valuable to their respective teams as Cato is--right now. I think you are measuring Cato's potential against other player's actual results. You should match results to results.

Anyhow, the point you and I agree on is the Center position is vital and difficult to fill with a true center. That's why we both agree that Cato's potential is huge. Not too many teams have a good center.

With that said, look at all the teams that are good without a true center. We have the makings for playing in the mold of Seattle/Phoenix with our superior front court and motion offense. We really just need a active body, rebounder and smart passer. You can't have everything. Our defense still sucks...Boston played without Pierce. Cato must anchor that. I don't see him doing it, yet. If he doesn't do it, then he's just an expensive sportscenter dunker/blocker.

Last...before you go off on me that the 3 Fs, Pollard and LaFrentz will never rate up to Cato, let me remind you that what I am suggesting will produce $9m in salary cap...of which you will go out and get an impact player, whether next year or the year after. Cato or $9m in cap room....that's the question. Not: is Feick better than Cato.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 20, 1999).]