1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's a new word for the Rockets...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Juugie

Juugie Member

Balanced.

Not dominated by one person - neither Yao nor Steve. But taking advantage of the skills of all its players.

By going by the age old formula of "Hot man gets the rock."

Who ever has the best matchup or whoever is going well keeps getting the ball until the other team stops it.

By being a balanced, versatile team, the Rockets can be a more consistent team. If the opponent goes all out to deny Yao the ball, make them pay somewhere else. If they take away dribble penetration, go down low. Have a player shooting 8 of 9, get him more shots.

Instead of fighting over "Who's the man" or "Who should get the most shots" how about just going out, playing the game, and finding a way to win.

That is TRUELY team basketball.

And if that means that Jim Jackson is the leading scorer on the team but the Rockets are winning 70% of their games, so be it.

Everyone hustle, play defense, and rebound, and let the shots come where they will.

Just a thought...

2. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

yeah I agree with your post. How about Cato knocking down shots last night. Man I get so fired up when he hits his shots.

3. Rob English

Rob English Member

Very well said. I agree 100% We need to be a balanced team.

4. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

To add to that, how 'bout another word —

TEAM.

In a funny kind of way, the Rox were a lot like the Astros — depending on the home run to win every time. Let's hope they're moving an approach more like Marlins baseball — work any angle as a team to manufacture points wherever the opportunity arises.

To me, team ball is a lot more fun to watch; and don't forget which approach won the World Series. Same holds true for bball.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know if it's a new word. In the Rockets 45-win season, during that streak that Walt Williams was shooting something like 75% (until he had to serve the suspension for decking Bradley and he turned cold), it seemed like we found a new high scorer every night. But, I'm glad to see again the Rockets finding role-players to carry the load when Yao and Francis are misfiring.