1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's a laugh; Astros expect to win 90 games

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If the Astros are buried in the standing come trade deadline time, they should be open to trading anyone not named Oswalt or Berkman.

2. Bruins&RedSox21

Different story. Buchholz, Bowden, Bard, Anderson are all primed for the future. Pedroia is the future. I'd say Youka too, but he's kinda old for the amount of years he played. I don't know of anyone in the Astros organisation. I'm not trying to be rude either, hence me asking the question. I was just saying that Berkman, or Oswalt could x > likely get you guys some killer pieces in return. *shrugs shoulders, lifts hands in the air.*

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think astros fans hate their team more than any fans in the league

this has nothing to do with your post, I just thought I would say I hate the Red Sox more than any baseball franchise in the MLB

4. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Doesn't someone say this exact statement every season? More like they should be more open to trading any player we have, and strait up rebuild with prospects and younger talent.

5. Bruins&RedSox21

Cool man. Can't expect everyone to like the Sox. And this is the biased fan of me saying this, but I just dont seem how everyone can't hate the Yankees the most. Would you mind me asking why? You certainly don't have to answer, and with that being said, I (sincerely) wish you guys luck this season.

6. msn

msn Member

You answered your own question: your own bias! I can't speak for the other guy, but the Yankees and Sox to me are just mildly annoying. I *hate* the Braves and Mets, no junior circuit club will ever approach that level of loathsomeness.

7. Bruins&RedSox21

Sounds reasonable enough to me. The only team I actually HATED in the senior circuit was the Montreal Expos, but that goes back to another sport. :) Everyone else in the NL is fine with me.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The Red Sox used to be fun to root for when the Yankees were dominating just 'cause people hated the Yankees and there was no better way to stick it to them than to have their hated rival unseat them. But now that they've won a few titles, Red Sox fans (generally speaking) have become almost or just as annoying and arrogant as Yankee fans. So now they get lumped into the same category as the Yankees meaning people hate them both about equally.

9. Bruins&RedSox21

You are right. While I don't think Sox fans should be associated with the MFY, they are mostly, rather I like it or not, frankly. In addition, I know many Sox fans who are confrontational, so you are indeed correct in that fact. However, every Sox fan does have a problem with someone, and that someone's name is Joba Chamberlain. :) BTW, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I was just wondering the prospects the Astros could've gotten in return. My apologies.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Because I see the Yankees and Red Sox Sox essentially being the same, except the Yankees know they are arrogant and no one likes them. Sox fans still think their team is cinderella team and think they are better than yankees fans when they are in fact the same, if not more annoying. I don't really know you well enough to know if you are one of these guys but that is my general perception of their team and fans

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm an Astros fan so the argument doesn't apply to me, but I've always been stunned at this perception that the Yankees and Red Sox are "the same." I get that they might be the same in terms of media hype, but in terms of payroll (the largest complaint), the Yankees finished last season at $222m... the Red Sox at $147m.

The Red Sox might have the second-largest payroll, but a $75m difference is huge! Hell, the Astros' entire team was at $100m, and the Astros are a fairly big-market club. To me, as an outsider, the two are nowhere close to the same. You didn't see Boston signing virtually every top free agent on the market for around $400m combined in one offseason.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Keep that crap at SOSH.

I can't wait to see Youkilis hit the deck this year when a curveball that misses him by 10 feet drops into the catchers glove.

13. Bruins&RedSox21

Bring it. I'd like to know what Chamberlain's problem is in the 1st place.

14. Bruins&RedSox21

EDIT: Don't worry, I post there much more than I would here about the Sox. & Bring it. I'd like to know what Chamberlain's problem is in the 1st place.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I was teasing about the SOSH stuff.

I don't know what you mean about his problem so I can't answer you.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So, you are a Bruins & Red Sox fan, but a Rockets fan over the Celtics?

17. msn

msn Member

lol @ NE baseball fans going at it here on Clutchfans. awesome.

I was never one to hate the "haves" just because I perceive myself as a "have not". Also, I blame ESPN, not the Yanks or Sox, for humping their legs like an undisciplined dog.

sorry for the redundancy, but I hate the Br*ves. And Mets. and, more and more, the Cubs. OH and the j*zz. Really, really, hate the (*&@#$ j*zz.

1 person likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Cubs are baseball's Jazz. Obnoxious fans...no championships...dirty crap underneath lillywhite aura...

1 person likes this.
  19. right1

right1 Member

Oswalt, Berkman are not "serviceable major leaguers" dick wad. They're All-Stars. And so are Carlos Lee, Pudge Rodriguez, Miguel Tejada, Russ Ortiz, Mike Hampton, Darin Erstad and Jose Valverde. Throw in Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn, Kaz Matsui and Doug Brocail and the Astros have a decent shot at kicking some Bo Sox butt come October. You just worry about beating the Yankees. :eek:

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he openly admitted to not knowing much about the Astros and just asking a question. Why the hell are you attacking him and calling him names? Uncalled for

Pudge is not an All Star. Neither are Tejada, Ortiz, Hampton, or Erstad. You're the one that needs to figure out what's going on it seems like..

I'm glad you're optimistic, but he was just saying that Berkman and Oswalt could fetch some prospects.

To respond to the Boston guy.. you're right, they could do well by rebuilding and trading stars for prospects. However, their owner has never been one to give up on a season before it starts.. and really, not even in the middle of a losing season since this team has shown remarkable resiliency late in the season over the years. He wants to put fans in the seats, and he's not going to quit.

Plus he doesn't realy give up the homegrown talent like Berkman and Oswalt that are the faces of the franchise. The Astros will do what they can, and barring a complete meltdown early in the year, they'll probably try and buy a piece or 2 to go for the wildcard