1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HELP!!!!!! XBOX or PS2.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by j-bone, Nov 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Band Geek Mobster

You only need 1 reason to get PS2...

Metal Gear Solid 2

I guess it's pretty safe to assume that if you don't like the N64, then you won't like the gamecube, am I right Gamecubers?

Anyway, I liked N64 for a little bit, but Playstation's games were just so much more kickass.

I have difficulty thinking which will be better between xbox and PS2, good thing I already have a PS2, if xbox lives up to it's hype, then I can always get that one later.

So I say get both, start with ps2, and then save up for xbox later if it kicks so much ass...

Back on Metal Gear though, it is so amazing...

Also my roommates talking about getting a Gamecube, so I can play it without actually having to pay for it...:p

2. Christopher

Christopher Member

I think with the power of the systems now there isnt a great deal of difference. Its not like a few years ago when the difference between systems was large....these days all the top ones game the great graphics and sound.

I think PS2 (The system I own) and XBox will be the two big players in the games market. I prefer the PS2 for a few minor reasons. Sony know the market and have experience. They have alot of backing as far as games go....second to none. They are looking to go online, but they are taking their times testing and making sure they get it right (I think online gaming is a bit over rated but llets hope it works!).

From what Ive read about the Game Cube it has a few draw backs and is aimed to much towards the young Nintendo fan....not a good idea if you ask me. They are loyal....but they grow up!

Just on the DVD players in these systems.....when I brought my PS2 one of the things that made the price alot easier to cope with (I brough mine when they first come out) was the fact it was also a DVD. I didnt own a DVD player and think its great to have one in the PS2. I read that in Australia the PS2 is actually changing the DVD market because DVD players are not just for thoes that like to show off.....they are now avalible to young adults who are buying games systems.

Now if only they could get MGS2 out before Christmas here in Australia....

Christopher

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Who cares....from what everyone is saying, you can't go wrong with any one of the 3 systems. Put 3 names in a hat and draw.
    If a DVD player is important to you , then put 2 names in a hat and draw. If DVD, broadband support, HDTV support, and Dolby Digital 5.1 are important to you, then put one name in a hat and draw.

That's what I did and I ended up with the xbox. Granted, the games are not there yet but I don't care...they will come and I'm in no hurry. What do I have to play every game NOW? No. But, if there are specific games related to specific platforms that you must have, then your mind is made up already and quit wasting our time.

:D

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah That pepsi Twist does taste like horse poop .

Gamecube is 100 bucks less but if somene handed me 200 bucks in Best Buy I would Buy Tony Hawk 3 , Metal Gear Solid 2 , NCAA Football 2002 , and a bottle of regular Pepsi over a Gamecube .

5. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

That's a horrible assumption. Many 3rd party developers were scared away from N64 because of the cartridge format. Now that Nintendo learned their mistake and using DVDs now for gamecube, developers are coming back.

If people were a Resident Evil fanatic off the playstation, and with this series being exclusive to Gamecube now, why wouldn't they like the gamecube?

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Of course we need DVD capability , That is one of the main reasons I bought A PS2 , If it didnt have DVD I wouldnt have paid 300 bucks for it .

N64 had some good games but they need to shed their "kiddie" image of all the pokeman and mario stuff like kidrock said .

In My Life I have had the Following , Nintendo NES , Sega Genesis , Playstation , Playstation 2 , You want to know who had the best games? The NES by far , Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest Sports game ever know to man kind , Ice Hockey was so fun with friends and you could stay up all night L'ing your AO and The Mario games were fun and challenging as well , There was no saving your game crap like that , it was go for it all baby , I miss the NES days .

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why would they want to do that? Their systems sell the best, partly because of that image. Nintendo cares about mature games, but they care more about sales, and they know what drives sales. Good gameplay, cheap prices, and attracting the biggest gaming market, the kids.

8. NinoBrown

NinoBrown New Member

I like the PS2, an X-Box is just a mini PC.....which means upgrades. After all it is a microsoft product, and they are all about upgrades.

Get the PS2, atleast that way you dont have to buy a DVD config set just to run the DVD player as you do with the X-box. Not to mention the controller stinks. In japan microsoft has already changed the controller to a different one thats sold in North America.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am with JayZ. I have played most of the systems out there, and I have always enjoyed Nintendo's products. I have games like Mario Party and Super Smash Brothers on my N64, both of which would be considered "kiddie" by most, and I enjoy the hell out of those games. Regardless of how they look, they are entertaining. I don't need a badass looking game to make me feel like less of a kid. You're playing video games, for Christ's sake! This is already viewed as a "kiddie" thing to do.

I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards getting a Gamecube. I don't want to spend $300 on a system right now, so the XBox is out. PS2 is not bad, but I have never liked the design of the PS2 controllers. They really irritate my hands, for whatever reason (perhaps playing Nintendo style controllers has indoctrinated me to those systems...who knows :)). There are several games I have seen coming out for Gamecube that interest me greatly. Metroid, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, Rogue Squadron, Wave Race Bluestorm and of course any games in the Mario Brothers series, nearly all of which I enjoy.

PS. No Dreamcast, anyone? ;)

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is the Gamecube going to have Mario Cart?

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Band Geek Mobster

I wasn't making that statement as an argument against Gamecube, but rather a question about the Game Cube because I admit that I know very little about it.

Sorry about the horrible assumption...:(

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

First off, don't buy into the 'Gamecube is for kids' crap. Funny, but usually the ones who can only have fun with blood and guts games are the least 'mature'.

Beyond that, I can only tell you what I would recommend. I'm not getting an XBOX right now, because I already have a good computer. And none of the games interest me, save for Halo. (Which I hear will be out for PC anyway). XBOX will likely have some good games further down the line, however.

But if you want something now, and it comes down to XBOX and PS2, I'd go for the PS2. Great system, and already with an EXCELLENT library of games. MGS2, Devil May Cry, great sports games.... you can find plenty to play right now. If I had the extra money for another system I'd go for a PS2.

It's all a matter of how much patience you have...

14. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Well I have played Nba Live 2002 and Madden 2002 on both systems and the XBOX is better. It's all about the polygons.

I am a staunch XBOX supporter and I love mine. Even has Online support already for three games.

Granted there are Limited List
    (it just launched) but Microsoft is in with the developers good.

Cool Games to come -
    * Nba,Nfl,Mlb 2k2 Sega Dreamcast Sports line being brought over.
    *Star Wars StarFighter Special Edition- hopefully this will be as sweet as Rogue Squadron on Gamecube. That game alone would make me want to buy a Gamecube. Awesome looking.
    *Dead or Alive 3 - This will probably be the next game I get. Pretty sweet graphics.
    *Star Wars Obi Wan - Another cool looking game.

Just wait and there will be plenty of XBOX titles out. They launched 19 to begin with. Not too bad.

Some others I want to check out include
    The Simpsons Road Rage - kinda kiddy looking
    AirForce Delta Storm - looks like the old Sega Game AfterBurner

Complete List of XBOX games

Oh, and HALO is badass. Completely worth buying the XBOX for. Intense gameplay and killer graphics.

The XBOX is very fast and doesn't make you wait long at all too load games - like the PS2.

Other Good XBOX threads-
    Xbox vs. Gamecube
    ps2 vs xbox vs gamecube
    Halo on XBOX

#34 Sonny, Nov 30, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2001
  15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

will x-box ever drop in price? I heard they were already losing money on the console. PS2 never did.

I already have a ps2, but am itching to get an x-box. Don't both systems have cable upgrades or something? Where the graphics improve? And hasn't there been some malfunctions?

Are there any single shooter games for PS2?

16. Surfguy

Wink3Cat5,

Are you asking to be flamed? Don't even start comparing SW: StarFighter to GameCube's Rogue Squadron. The Gamecuber's are likely to take you out back and pummel you to death with old Star Wars hobby shop models. I can envision a Millenium Falcon sticking out of your head even now.

:D

17. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

what's the problem Surf?

I am complimenting Rogue Squadron on Gamecube.

#37 Sonny, Nov 30, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2001
  18. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

gr8-1, you're right and you're wrong. Microsoft does lose money with Xbox sold but every console made at least in the last 2 years loses money. The dreamcast was sold at a loss, the PS-2, the XBox, etc are all money losers if just the console is bought. The way these companies try to make money is by 3rd party developers.

This is why the dreamcast failed. It was a great console (I have one) that was cheaper than the XBox and had great games. However Sega didn't (and still doesn't) have the financial resources that Sony, MS, Nintento etc have and they couldn't sign the crucial 3rd party developers as a result.

The hardware in these new generation consoles is pretty impressive and not much of a step down from home PC's. In fact the dreamcast was popular with linux people b/c you could make it boot linux and have another machine. Since they were designed to be sold at a loss they are cheaper than the equivalent hardware in a home PC.

Personally I regard the whole argument as simlar to the PS-2 and dreamcast debate about a year ago. At the time the dreamcast had better games but not as much potential. The same situation occurs now with the XBox and PS-2 only this time the XBox hardware has a bit more potential than the PS-2. If I were buying a console today I would get an X-Box for that reason.

19. Surfguy

I was kidding...geez. I know you were complimenting Gamecube but hoping SW: Starfighter is as good as Rogue Squadron is just wishful thinking. It's okay to hope and wish. Gamecube fanboys would certainly have a field day with your hopeful comment....not that there are any on this site. I was making a joke....umm....forget it.

I'm on your side. In my opinion, XBox SW: Starfighter blows Roque Squadron away :p . So, there you have it....hehe.

BUY XBOX OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!

Haha....I'm kidding...just being a goofball. I'm bored silly at work.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Damn straight.

The most advanced system in my house is the SNES but 90% of the time I'm on the NES and 80% of that time is on Tecmo Super Bowl. I swear Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest sports game ever. The players may be just little blobs on the screen but it's just so damn fun to play. I can't believe you brought up Ice Hockey, that game is pretty cool, too. Of course the only way to make it challening is for a little USA v TCH action (maybe v Soviet Union also). I can't get any of my friends to like it though.

Sometimes I wish I was more into current games but any time I have to use a joystick (or whatever it's called) I just go to crap. Also I don't think I could bring myself to pay for the systems, much less enough games to entertain myself.

However, as someone who likes Microsoft (not sure why, I just do), I say by the XBOX. And could someone describe what kind of game HALO is, I'm sick of hearing about it and not knowing what it is.