1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[help] Wireless network

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rage, Jun 25, 2007.

1. rage

rage Member

I set up a wireless network at my house a couple years ago. I had 2 desktops, 1 connected directly with cable, another wireless. They both worked well. I lost my desktop with wireless a while back.

I just bought a laptop with wireless. When it first boots up, it says it connects to my wireless network but the browser can not get to any website. There are other wireless networks in my neighborhood, so I disconnect from mine, connect to my neighbor's and it works fine. I disconnect from my neighbor's and re-connect to my network and it also works.

This happens everytime. The first connection to my network does not seem to work. Is there something I can do to fix this? Thks.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm having a problem too. I can't connect to my home wireless network. I can see it there but it won't connect for some reason.

3. Poloshirtbandit

Try powering off the router for a minute or so then turn it back on. It worked for me when I had a similar problem anyway.

4. rage

rage Member

I tried that and it didn't help.
    Why does it say it has connection, yet the web browsers have trouble? I used Firefox and IE.

5. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I am having the EXACT same problem...driving me in freaking sane.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Why are we all having the same problem, dammit???

I can see my router...shows it has a good signal, but when I click on it it does not connect. It worked fine for weeks before this happened.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You can get to the router's web-based utility at http://192.168.1.1 (or https). If it is a linksys router, the pass is admin and the password is... uh... I forgot... but it's either admin or password, and you can get into the settings. Once you're in, change the admin password, so I don't know it.

If you hold the RESET button on the side of the router for 5 seconds, it can revert to the original settings from factory and allow you to connect, but you must delete the connection and allow the desktop and the laptop to recreate it.

Network connection doesn't mean necessarily that you have Internet connection. Having connection to the interwebs requires that you get past your router out to your ISP.

Once you're in the web-based utility, get back over here to the BBS... and we'll take the secure settings from here. You might need to reset the entire connection and delete it on your desktop and on your laptop to restart the setup. You do not need to run the software that came with the router.:cool: ?

8. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

it says you have connection... but only to the wireless router does it give you connection to. That's all it's really saying, but it doesn't mean you can access the internet.

What that last poster said is right. Just reset the router.. try to get the connection going. Also, check how you are connected and if you ave any security settings. Reseting the router should let you reset your wireless as well, setting a new encryption if you haven't before.

9. Chance

Thanks for your thoughtful response I will try this when I get home.

10. SwoLy-D

Any luck? [can you read this post? :D ]

11. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

LOL good one. :cool:

12. Chance

Diving in upstaris when my old lady racks. 9:30 or so.

13. SwoLy-D

:eek:

Please forgive me, Chance dude, but for a second there I seriously thought you were talking about your old lady's rack. Forgive me. :(

do you have a pic? ;)