1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Travel ideas and recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by player_13, Jul 22, 2014.

1. player_13

player_13 Member

I plan on going somewhere for 5-7 days this upcoming October with my fiance but need your help coming up with some locations to go to. We are thinking of doing something relaxing and have already been to Cancun, Cozumel, and Hawaii... so I was leaning towards a place like Puerto Rico. Have any of you guys been? Any must go to areas, restaurants, or activities?

She's big foodie type person, so doesn't necessarily have to be a beach or tropical setting, anywhere would be fine if it had really good food! So any other suggestions for travel location would be welcomed also!

2. Classic

Classic Member

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Punta Cana. :eek:

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Do you have any airline miles, credit card points, or hotel points?

I spent a few days at the St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort in Puerto Rico, as well as the W Hotel on Vieques Island in Puerto Rico.

Both were fantastic.

For October, flights from IAH to SDQ (Dominican Republic) are pretty cheap at $279 round trip, including taxes.

#4 s land balla, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In a completely different direction, Vancouver? October might be too late, but if early October you can try.

Or something like Maine.

I am thinking of "fall", "changing seasons", etc. For the foodie in her, its real, local, fresh seafood dishes type.

6. player_13

player_13 Member

Thanks for the suggestions... They all look to offer more or less the same kind of experiences outside of the resort or hotel themselves. I was initially leaning towards Puerto Rico because I had Hilton Honor points and they had a pretty good exchange rate for those points.

Ladera looks to have an amazing view of the mountains and ocean, with the 4th wall open. Couldn't believe it when I clicked the link actually.

Punta Cana/DR has a couple of excursions that look interesting, especially the one that takes you to Hoyo Azul.

The flights out to the Caribbeans look to cost around $600-800, I couldn't find any for that $279 that you mentioned. (10-20 to 10-26, flying out of DFW... although I checked IAH too)

I was thinking about the Vancouver/Canada/NE area also... but figured it might be colder and more walking and exploring of towns which sounds fun. But we both work retail pharmacy and really hope to get off our feet and just chill for a couple of days, especially during the start of flu season.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking into them more before I decide and I may have to hit you guys up for more specifics of a location once I pick.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I enjoyed Puerto Rico.

Beaches, rainforest, bioluminescent bay. Salsa dancing, tons of outdoor stuff. Touristy rum tours.

Stay in Old San Juan and get some good mofongo if you go.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member