1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HELP!!! Suddenly cannot play DVDs on my PC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by apostolic3, Dec 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I get this error message from Windows Media Player: "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection."

On Real Player: "DVD Error. The DVD cannot be played. Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed."

This only started happening in the last few days. It's happens on old and new DVDs. I've recently installed iTunes, iPod, Cucusoft Video Converter, Xilisoft, Avi synth 2.5 (which I just uninstalled) and Videora iPod Converter.

Anyone had this problem come up and find a solution?

2. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

Do you have PowerDVD or WinDVD?

3. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Apparently neither.

4. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

lol. I wonder if you have a rootkit from Sony.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Funny you would say that. My PC is a Sony Vaio PCV-RX550. 1.5 GHz Pentium 4. About 3 or 4 years old. But I haven't ripped any CDs recently.

6. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I don't believe it's the players. Both RealPlayer and Windows Media Player played DVDs fine until about a week ago. Now they give me the error messages.

8. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I don't know much about DVD players, but from personal experience my Windows Media player is always asking for updated codecs or telling me that a certain codec isn't working. Sometimes it will just flat out refuse to work after I install a new program. I got fed up and used VLC instead.

Have you tried googling your error message? You probably have. But in case you haven't, here's what Google came up with:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283620

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

apostolic

before you discount the suggestion, at least try it.

besides the VLC player, I would also recommend tryin Media Player Classic.

if the problem persists with these two players, then you have deeper issues, but the open source players suggested arent quite as anal about copyright issues and codecs as Windows Media Player and Real Player.

besides....both Real and WMP suck...once you try VLC or MPC I think you wont want to go back to the others.

btw....MPC also has a addin that handles RealMedia and Quicktime without the bloat of Real and QT.

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

OK, I'll try them when I get home. Maybe Real and WMP are a couple of boxes I need to get out of.

However, for curiousity's sake, I would like to find out what happened on my PC to cause the problem. Was hoping someone else had experienced the same thing and figured out why.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well...the problem is with the digital certificates, so more than likely waht happened is the key you have has gotten corrupted or expired.

Seeing as I never have to deal with those kind of things(I dont watch DVDs on my computer), I cant say for sure

sorry

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

VLC worked. Thank you thank you very much!