1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Staying Rockets / NBA Fan After Nixed Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hightop, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

After Stern nixed the Gasol trade I have lost interest in the Rockets / NBA. If the league wont let Rockets management try to make the team better, how am I supposed to stay interested? I have lived in Houston for 41 years and have been a Rockets fan that entire time (when to Rockets games at Hofheinz Pavilion when I was a kid) but now the NBA is kind of dead to me.

Are the rest of you just ignoring this issue - and pretending everything is fine? I will always love this team and hope the best for them. And I will probably get back on the bandwagon if and when things start going really well, but right now it is pretty hard to give a crap.

Or I guess I should pull for the team more since Stern made it impossible for them to compete for talent? I dunno... It's still rough to even watch.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Well see, were real fans. So we don't just hop off the bandwagon and stop caring because the team isn't perfect on paper.

By the way, we are 20-14 halfway into the season and just a game behind the Mavs, their the raining champs in case you stopped caring before then!

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd scroll thru the last three pages of the garm and see how many articles/threads there are on how the trade affected the Rox.

Even Jeremy Lin's been brought up in the domino effect it had on us. Trust me you're far from the only one.

F**k you Stern!
    [​IMG]

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Loyalty is everything. You stay with your team regardless of anything.

Is this why you and Texxx are always stirring up crapola in the D&D? :)

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If you die, you die.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I didn't want Gasol. More importantly, I did not want the lakers to get cp3. We're right there with the Lakers in the standings.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hightop

Hightop Member

That's not what I said. I said I find it hard to care because the league prevents the team from making personnel moves in order to improve it. I have probably been a fan longer than you have been alive, btw.

8. Hightop

Hightop Member

I don't blame the team, I guess it's more of an NBA issue - but it has affected my affection for the team indirectly. And that pisses me off.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Another nothing but problems with no solutions thread. I feel your pain, but try and add some insight and analysis to the GARM instead of just creating a b****out thread.

In my opinion you either like the game of basketball or your obsessed with it. I happen to be obsessed with the game and will continue to watch it despite all the politics that surround the business/Stern side of the game.

Just like any other multi-billion dolllar industry, there are politics involved and dirty hands in the cookie jar. Houston has been one of the more stable business related franchises since the 70's, and has meant a great deal for the NBA revenue wise in years past with marketing players such as Hakeem and Yao.

I dont think that Stern is purposefully trying to screw over the Rockets, they just so happened to be a victim that walked in front of the Stern bus who does not care how wreckless he has been driving that bus as of lately. Stern has a "god complex" and its about time for him to retire anyway.

He's said multiple times that this last CBA dealing will be his last so dont worry, he's on his way out, and the Rockets will find a way to rebuild and be a contender within the next 5 years. Boook it.

10. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

don't want gasol anymore and don't believe in nene, believe more in our group as constructed than with those two as our long term solution. i'm happy with our bunch and hope the DM continues to improve the roster but not with gasol (who doesn't even want to be here) and nene (injured a lot recently).

11. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

a part of me agrees, but i still end up watching the games. there are few things about the team to get really excited about. i guess the style of play has changed this short season.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'm just saying real fans don't stop caring, the fact that you posted this and didn't expect to get flamed is beyond me! And if you'd been paying attention this year, you would see that we are actually pretty good.

Who cares how long you have been a fan, I've been a fan my whole life! Just because youre an old man doesn't make you a better fan than me! In fact I guarantee that you're not!

13. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Well if that's all that's stopping you from caring, then know this. The Stern-nixed trade was a New Orleans issue, not a Houston Rockets issue. Stern was looking out for the best way of improving the value of that franchise so that the league can sell it. He did his job, albeit in an under-handed, dirty conniving sort of way.

To think that Stern won't let the Rockets improve is silly thinking and makes me think that you want to self-loath, that you're looking for a reason to not care about this team. But if that's all you can come up with, then start caring.

The months leading up to this point have been filled with doubt, anger, talk of willingly making the team worse, giving up if we don't win a championship this season...it's finally starting to peter off because of how well we're playing, and NOW you want to come in here and complain about your apathy for the team and blame it on Sterngate?

I'm not buying it. Either you care about the team because you're a true fan, or you don't because you only want to follow a winning team. If you really have lost your love of the team and are asking for a solution, then I suggest joining the Maverick's bandwagon.

1 person likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wish people would just get over it. Some of you guys just hang on to things too much. This happened months ago. We are 20-14. Who cares??:rolleyes:

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Bad day?

You have to stay patient and you really can't let 1 trade that didn't happen - which could be debated on whether it would have really made us true contenders - make or break your loyalty.

Personally I'm not "on board" on the path they have chosen but I have no plans to jump off the bandwagon. I mean, I was an Oiler fan during the "L(y)uck" years.

16. Tmac1Yao11

Tmac1Yao11 Member

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

I didn't mind the idea of rebuilding. That's another attempt to improve. But at least I know what to expect and the Rockets would be mostly in control of their own destiny (minus unforeseen circumstances, with injuries etc.). The NBA Emperor dictating destiny is another matter.

18. Hightop

Hightop Member

Yeah but the trade just "didn't happen" like the Horry for Elliott trade. It was mandated that we couldn't obtain certain players.

19. heartofachamp34

You seem to think the league stopped the trade because they didn't want us to improve. In actuality, it was because they didn't want the Lakers to improve (or rather, to get another big name superstar to pair with Kobe ala the Miami superfriends and Amare/Melo). We were just collateral damage.

Rumors were that Stern himself was fine with the trade; it was the small market team owners that were outraged because they thought the whole point of the recent CBA and lockout (just barely 2 weeks prior to the trade) was to prevent small market teams from basically being used as DLeague teams for big markets. He caved because he didn't want them to stop the new CBA from being signed and keep extending the lockout.

20. VBG

VBG Member

It's rough to watch the 6th best team in the West which might be equal to what the 10th best team in the league?

You should admire this team for fighting. Everyone gives the Nuggets props but what the Rockets are doing is even more impressive. And we have a better record.

1 person likes this.