1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Spring Break for grown ups with special needs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

My girlfriend is a professor so we have the opportunity to go away during Spring Break and we'd love to go somewhere with a beach and beautiful water and an at least somewhat luxurious hotel. The problem is neither of us drink and going to a party beach would be a very bad time for us. We want rest and relaxation and sun and water, but we also want relative peace.

Another wrinkle: though my girlfriend eats dairy and fish, I am vegan. So we are also looking for a spot where either the hotel is able to accommodate these dietary needs or at least one restaurant that can. (I remember having an almost perfect time in Costa Rica years ago, but there was lard in everything and I wound up eating almost nothing but fruit and artichokes, neither of which I particularly enjoy. As a result, I spent about three days in a total blood sugar freakout until finding an Italian place where I could at least get a clean plate of pasta.)

If anyone can suggest a place to meet these incredibly restrictive needs, it would be much appreciated. We don't want to blow 10K on this or anything, but we can afford to spend some money to find the perfect spot.

Any ideas?

2. AMS

AMS Member

Catch a flight to the Maldives...I am sure you won't have a problem being Vegan in that part of the world.

[​IMG]

3. AMS

AMS Member

$1400 for the ticket though... :eek:

4. leroy

leroy Member

Traveling with you 2 must be a blast.

No drinking and no meat make Homer something something.

:grin:

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

6. Mr. Brightside

Come to the East Caribbean. Antigua & Barbuda (or St. Kitts). Over here a good percentage of the the population are Rastafarian. These people are strict vegetarians although some will eat fish. When I first moved here, I was surprised at the number of vegetarian options compared to the USA. I'm generally on island for about 2/3 of the year. I could recommend some places or even give you contact info of people who will personally deliver you vegan/vegetarian food to your hotel.

Airfare should cost about 500-700 USD per person. They have some really good deals on tourism packages these days I've heard.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We have been to the Grand Velas all inclusive resort in Nuevo Vallarto a few times. They have 4 top restaurants plus their buffet restaurant and bar type restaurants. Have a look here:

http://www.grandvelas.com/

Your girlfriend will have no problems getting a very nice fish lunch/dinner whenever she wants. You could email them about your dietary needs to see if they suffice. I suspect they could accomodate you. It is an incredibly nice place and is as relaxing as you want it to be.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I was thinking about something in the South Asia/Indian Ocean neighborhood, too... thoujgh for an one week vacation it's one hell of a long flight from the US.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow. I envy you.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I can't help you unless you are willing to go to Asia.

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Sounds like a trip to whole foods, then an hour drive down 45 to the San Luis in Galveston to me

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Girlfriend? Interesting.

14. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I was just wondering how the hell are you vegan and don't enjoy fruit? LMAO. I'm a vegetarian myself BTW.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

^ Uh-oh. :grin: And... here we go!

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Do you happen to go to school there?

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Medical school??

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's Spring Break... eat dangerously for once :D

19. jo mama

jo mama Member

lake atitlan - guatemala. went there last summer and had a great time. the place to go for rest and relaxation! and lots of vegetarian options for hippies and great swimming.

"the most beautiful lake in the world" - aldous huxley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stayed at this incredible eco-hotel about 50 yards from the lake...$30/night. our room was the one in the bottom center - had our own private balcony that looked onto the lake.
    [​IMG]

20. mc mark

mc mark Member

that's beautiful jo

wow!