1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Spilled wine on my friggin' MacBook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I bought a brand new MacBook Pro on Saturday. On Monday I was at Jasper's for lunch sitting outside, doing some work. My waiter proceeds to spill a beer all over my BRAND NEW ****ING LAPTOP THAT I HAD NOT OWNED FOR 48 ****ING HOURS!!!!

DIE DIE DIE KILL KILL KILL!!!!!

$1400 to fix by Apple.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Like I said, Lynus' story is more a testament to how awesome his Apple store is and less a testament to how awesome apple is. In certain markets, they just don't give a flip.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is the waiter or the restaurant paying for this? Because I sure the hell wouldn't.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sounds like a restaurant is buying you a laptop.

5. Master Baiter

I sent it to my lawyer. He is dealing with the restaurant.

6. Master Baiter

Exactly. I don't want a 48 hour old refurb. I want a brand new laptop like I had before knuckle ****er poured a beer all over it.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Do you have a 'loaner' laptop of comparable value until this situation is resolved? These things can take a long time.

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The apple store is apple, no reason to consider them separate entities. I'm pretty sure the apple store I went to isn't the same on Lynus went to, and so on. The point is it isn't covered under warranty, so the fact that these replacements can still happen it's a good thing.

I really don't see how the restaurant can argue otherwise. hope it works out for you man.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's a testament of the the Apple customer care being top notch surely added to the finally price of the product. I've been to 4 different Apple stores in 3 states and have never run into any problems, just fantastic customer service. Your stories sound more like anomalies than the common experience.

10. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

sounds like the waiter getting fired because of an unfortunate accident

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As an aside, State Farm charges $2.75 per $100 in coverage for computers, to handle accidents such as spilling stuff, dropping, etc. So for $55/year a $2000 computer can be insured with no deductible.

12. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

While I've never had an incident like this before, I'd have to agree with this assessment. I've been to several Apple Stores as well, sometimes just with questions and a time or three with a friend with a iPhone or Mac that had some issue or another, and customer care was exceptional.

Not that I would consider it poor service if they didn't help me out; it was my fault anyway, but still: every experience I've had with Apple has been simply great.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

fixed.

14. Master Baiter

I really hope that he is not fired as I know what happened was an accident.
    He's a young guy trying to make some money and I don't want what happened to ruin his immediate future. The situation sucks but if I get a new laptop, I'm cool. It's a pain in my ass but not enough to jeopardize this guy's living.

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I've been to the Apple store in Denver and Jacksonville and it couldn't have been easier.

Since we're bringing up unrelated anecdotal stories for the hell of it, my HP experience was awful. They fixed the problem (which I ended up paying for) and the same defect happened again 3 months later. Sold it for parts and never looked back.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Does it hurt to put the laptop/fagtop/Ipad whatever pad you call it, at home or in the car??? Do you really have to bring it everywhere??? There's this thing that I use that has been out for centuries called, a Pen and paper?? You can even by this thing called, a Pencil that has this really cool device at the end of it called, an ERASER???

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

We both have such amazing sample sizes, how will we ever choose?... Neither one of us can conclusively say this or that is the way Apple operates, all we can say with certainty is that the locations you've been to have promoted a positive experience and the locations I've been to have not. To say that this is Apple's operating procedure (by either of us) is stupid.

BestBuy is not BestBuy everywhere you go. In fact, all stores will vary based on management, sales numbers and profits. A store that is underperforming will act differently than a store that is doing strongly. There are countless occasions at BestBuy 123 where I was allowed to knock down a price by $100 or even $200 and even throw on free stuff (ink, paper, Geek Squad services, etc) just to get the sale done. At BestBuy 198 I did not have this leeway. It will vary from location to location, I guarantee it. To say that they are branded similarly and accordingly you should get a similar product is not true. The sad thing BestBuy isn't even a franchised entity.

Regardless, at BestBuy, at Apple, at the former CompUSA you would get awesome associates who would bend the rules and let you do exchanges for things they shouldn't to preserve customer loyalty. In my book that is awesome, but to insinuate that Apple or any other store does this more so than the others is foolish with such little data. People who have had experiences like this stay true to Apple accordingly, in the same way I stay true to HP because they have been good about exchanges and services. It's superstition at work but at the end of the day it gives you a sense of comfort (albeit a false one). We all do it.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does that pen and paper connect to the internet? Really a "fagtop"? :rolleyes:

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

...so i guess the lesson here is that if you have a little accident while sitting around enjoying a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier with your mates, Apple will understand, but they have no empathy for the beer swilling commoners.

;).

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

No, they just don't like it when you lose your phone while swilling beer... Especially if its a prototype phone that just happens to fall in the hands of Gizmodo...