1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Spilled wine on my friggin' MacBook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

really? That's impressive. I'm curious how the "transaction" went in general.
    translation.... did you tell them?

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yes, and I told them that it started up fine the next morning, which it did. In reality, it was a very small amount of spillage; I didn't dump a full glass over the keyboard or anything like that.

They started it up and did a scan of the battery, which they said would need replacing due to my rarely (if ever) unplugging the computer, which affects the life of the battery. They also said the battery was a consumable part, and that I'd have to pay for a new one, which is fair, and they'd have to check everything else and compare it to the warranty.

I went in today expecting to buy a new battery. I was surprised that I wasn't charged anything at all, but I wasn't going to start asking questions about it, either.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Game. Blouses.

Haters gone hate.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hey congrats. It's really nice that they helped you out. I'm surprised they did, but happy nonetheless.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That's pretty awesome Lynus. I was going to post that that might happen, but didn't want to get your hopes up. Lol. My wife managed to drop her iPhone 4 face down onto a broken piece of concrete. Cracked the front glass all to hell. When I went in I knew that wasn't covered under warranty and expected to pay for a new phone. Told them what happened, and they said that it wasn't covered but they will try to make a one time exception since we hadn't had any other problems. Free replacement. I was pretty happy about that.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you went into an ATT store, it was ATT who covered it, not apple.

7. Coach AI

Why do you think I went to an ATT store?

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Translation: Yes we are aware that our phones are poorly built, please don't tell anybody. Here is another one.

Yup. I speak Apple!

9. CrazyDave

Your concern and appreciation for the situation of the OP is duly noted, as well as your grasp of the topic at hand.

10. BleedRocketsRed

Wasn't responding to the OP.

He had his problem taken care of. He got lucky.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

No, he got Apple. You get what you pay for. :cool:

12. BleedRocketsRed

I had Apple and AppleCare.

He got lucky.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Exactly. I spilled coffee on my Thinkpad and it didn't need a new anything.

Thinkpad > MacBook

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Well we're talking about A laptop that does Cool stuff. Not your placemat:cool:

15. VanityHalfBlack

The only liquids I ever spilled on my macbook is my DNA, and still works like a champ!!!

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Actually it depends where you live. I can guarantee he wouldn't have gotten that service out here. I have a couple of friends who work/worked at the apple store and they would tell me stories of how they love to tell customers they couldn't get a replacement. One time, a friend of mine ended up telling a girl who spilled water on her iPhone that she was SOL so she gave him her iPhone free of charge and bought a new one on the spot. He swapped out the LCD to cover up the damage and forced the service order and ended up getting a new iPhone for nothing. Essentially the guy got a phone because he was to lazy to help a customer...

... I've got tons of those stories. It happens. I've got as many of those stories as Geek Squad stories. Heck, BestBuy 123 (in Tucson) used to have a hard drive labeled "homemade p*rn". Techies are like that. The fact that out there the "geniuses" did something nice is great. However, your whole notion of he got an apple so he got "good" treatment is a farce. This is more of a testament to the apple store in question and less of a testament of apple.

17. CrazyDave

just awesome.

Here we go...

Good story Lynus, glad things worked out.

18. BleedRocketsRed

My experience was different.

Back in 06, my dad spilled tea on my $1500 iBook. It worked great the next day. Infact, it worked for more than 6 months after the incident (which has me convinced that the incident had nothing to do with it).

However, I used the laptop during a system update (I did ignore a warning saying not to do so), the system update stopped working midway and the computer was unable to boot (still have it, gets stuck at the OSX booting screen).

I took it to an Apple Store (had extended AppleCare, had their most expensive warranty which is nowhere near as extensive as what is offered by other laptop manufacturers). They said that it can stop working if an update goes wrong and that it was covered by the warranty. So I sent it in and they sent it back saying that they saw corrosion from liquid damage and that my warranty was void. It would have cost what was close to equivalent of a new MacBook to get it fixed. Said **** that, had a third party look at it, they were unable to fix it.

Ended up purchasing a $400 Toshiba and used that for more than 3 years (about 1/4 the price and it sported better specs, lasted me alot longer, even dropped coke on it a couple of times, had no problems. Did not look as good but it was a far superior laptop. Recently replaced it with an HP which has been nothing but smooth for me and only cost $500 on Black Friday. Core i3 processor, been smooth as hell).

I used to be an Apple fanboy. Used to think that Apple made the best quality products. Looking back at it, it was crap. Its just flashy crap. The browser, Safari was crap. The thing used to crash more often than my Windows PC did/does (yes, I do consider an application unexpectedly quitting is a crash). The laptop itself was slow (compared to the much cheaper laptops I got following it).

19. Coach AI

Damn BRR, what happened to you? It's a shame to see you've just devolved into the usual OS WARZ bullsh!t.

And I can't believe that's the story that makes you mad. As though only an Apple laptop that had tea spilt into it and soaking into it for 6 months would have some problems. smh

20. lean

lean Member

I'm amazed by the wide assortment of liquids you all seem to be spilling on your electronic devices. Clumsy bastards :)