1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Spilled wine on my friggin' MacBook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, but there is so much about this post that is difficult to believe completely. If it 100% accurate, that is pretty impressive.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This.

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

I remember when I spilled water on my MBP's trackpad and it stopped working. I can only imagine how you feel :(. Hope everything works out!

5. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Take it drcellphonehouston.com, they're local. 70% recovery rate. Put in a bag of rice, heard that helps also.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

State Farm has a reasonable yearly premium for Personal Article insurance (I suspect other insurance companies have the same). My son had it for his AlienWare desktop for a few years. It seems the payment was $35 or so a year and it covered accidental damage including spills. It was certainly cheaper than most accidental damage policies that the manufacturer or retailer offer.

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I had no idea this was available.

now a days, you pretty much need warrantly/accidental coverage for everything.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dell has the same thing, called Complete Care. I ran over my laptop with my Jeep and they replaced it with a brand new Alienware a couple months ago, AND transferred the Complete Care warranty. It cost me $500 for 4 years, but it's already paid off.

A reason why competition is good, and it's bad that Apple has none in the Mac arena (unless you know how to piece together a hackintosh, but that voids warranties, anyway).

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Whoa, $500?! Wow. That State Farm thing sounds like an amazing option then, considering the price.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss Lynus. :(

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'll be damned....

I had most of it disassembled last night and I wiped and compressed-aired the hell out of everything.

Gonna take it to the Apple Store now to see if they can tell me anything in particular.

Hopefully, all is well. Will update later....

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, it does. I may go that way next time. However, my laptop was $2500. I doubt I could get full coverage on that for $35/yr. And I'm used to dealing with Dell warranties, so I know how to work the system for maximum payoff if I have to.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My son's AlienWare was around $3000 (this was probably 5 or so years ago) and the monthly payment was around $3.00 for the insurance.

14. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I used a rugged laptop called Go Book Max about 8 years ago in uncomfortable conditions: daytime temp highs of 125 F, mild sandstorms, and best of all, in the rain (I'd be working in a tent, but water would easily blow in and soak the machine with gusts of wind).

Here's a link, it seems out of date now. You can buy similar products with current tech too.
    http://www.itronix.com/products/notebooks/gobookmax.asp

15. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

16. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Its a sign that you should change back to windows. ;)

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well it's a combo of LoJack and HP's accidental damage plan. They provide both to you if you buy their extended warranty. For the extra $20 I opted into the LoJack guarantee program which states, if they can't find my laptop, they will give me $1000 for it. If they do find my laptop and it's all beat to ish, guess who's getting a call from me about a new laptop? That's right, HP...

It's a good plan...

18. SunsRocketsfan

yup harddrive is probably fine. Just pop that sucker out and attach it to another computer and take your data off. Macbook is probably ruined. Sounds like you shorted something. Hopefully it wasnt that new of a macbook?? Well let us know what happened. Good luck

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have had a laptop for over 10 years and just spilled coffee for the first time ever on mine a week ago. Fortunately my laptop has drain holes in the bottom and after I let it drain and pulled off the keyboard for a good cleaning, it worked perfect.

Thinkpad FTW.

20. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Well....they replaced the top case and the battery.

Total cost to me: $0.00.

Apple rules.