1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Someone is stealing my internet...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Sensei, Feb 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

While I was trying to set up Sling Box, I had to reset the my Linksys wireless router. In doing so, the WEP protection was taken off.

A few days ago, I lost connection. When I checked my network settings, I saw that the Linksys I was previously using has been protected, and I could no longer use the Internet. I pulled the plug on the router and the problem seemed to be resolved.

Last night, it happened again. I know I need to set up some kind of security, but just to be sure, is some ass-hat neighbor trying to cheat me out of my internet access? Is there anything I could do to either pinpoint the problem and/or punish the possible culprit?

As you can tell from this post, I'm not a computer wiz... Any help would be appreciated.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

there is a little pinhole where someone can stick a paperclip/needle to reset ur router's settings.
    Reset it immediately and once ur back online, sign into ur router's web page and set up wep and block his punkass.

3. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Check out his link. Basically it outlines how to teach these leechers a lesson.

4. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

someone can steal ur internet?

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

everyone that dont know jack technical-wise AND has broadband routers (wireless or otherwise) pay attention

FIrst thing you do when you plug it in (before you plug the internet line into it)

and IMMEDIATELY change the admin password.

by default it is normally somethign stupid like password or admin (which every wannabe hacker with a quarter of a brain knows by heart)

Change it to something weird, write it down, and stash it with your valuable papers. (not a postit on your monitor)

also make sure the passcode you use for the wireless encryption is similarly weird (a combo of numbers and letters is best)

trust me...if you dont enable better protection than they come with from the factory, you are at risk...breaking into those things aint that hard.

6. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Thanks everybody!

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Muahahaha... :D Nice. PERL Rules. Thank you for that link.

DUDE. Just write down all the options you set on your LinkSys web administration. Also, you can allow web access or internet access for only the machines you know by MAC/NIC address. Don't forget to write what you did in each step in the manual or the quick-guide that came with it.

8. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rox Box,

Don't listen to any of them....................you do anything they mentioned, especially Rockets 2K, your computer will explode and I won't be able to post anymore............ ;) :p

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I've been leeching off a linksys network in my neighborhood ever since I got my laptop! :eek:

But, in the spirit of common decency, and since I already have AT&T Broadband for my desktop computer, I will go out to Fry's and purchase a router and a wireless networking card to make the AT&T Broadband wireless in my house. Also...because the linksys network I'm leeching is slower than hell! :D

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I sometimes will leech off other people's network when I bring my laptop to visit other people(without wireless network). Man they are so slow sometimes.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hmmm...

[​IMG]

12. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Don't listen to a word all these punks are saying Rox Box!

We loves our free internets!

:D ;)

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It's all moot anyway! In a couple of years it will all be free anyway!

I've got about 7 unsecured linksys networks in my building alone!

It's all moot anyway! In a couple of years it will all be free anyway! New York is trying to set up a free city wide connection. They already have wired all the major parks in the city.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would look into MAC address filtering. Once you know how to find your computers mac address, the filtering is just as hard to do.

Doing that will let only your computers connect to your wireless without encryption. The encryption these days is like locking your door with a crude two pronged key....

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're probably over-reacting. Whoever that person is probably lost sync with their router and Windows defaulted to yours, because connecting was problem free.

Wardriving doesn't happen terribly often, IMO. I did, however, set up my mother on the wireless AP that I've been leaching off of in the corner of her house for years. If they want to give it out for free, they can help a poor old lady out 30 minutes a month (her browsing time).

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ummm... this post is worthless without pictures... of your MOM. :(

I kid! ;)

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You asked for it!

GILF action:

Come on! You actually looked? Like I would really post pics of my mom for you pervs. :p

I do have pics of Swoly's mom, though. $5 a piece.

19. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

I usually disable SSID BROADCAST so leechers don't see my connection when they search and now I never get leecher on my connection.

20. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

you know theres rumors on the uh internets