1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] SC2 Running Slow

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinywang, Sep 1, 2010.

1. tinywang

tinywang Member

Just bought SC2 the other day and so far it's been really laggy, especially once there's a bunch of units on the screen. I turned all the settings to low on the battle net in the options menu. But I am wondering if there's anything else I can do on my computer settings wise to help speed up the game.

Also, these are the specs on my laptop if it helps:

-CPU: AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9 GHz, 2 X 512 KB L2 cache)
    -RAM: 2 GB DDR2
    -HDD: 160 GB HDD
    -Wireless: 802.11b/g WLAN
    -Softload: Windows Vista Home Premium
    -Up to 896 MB ATI Radeon
    -Xpress 1250 HyperMemory

I really wanna play and can't really afford a new laptop at the moment, so I am just wondering what my options are.

Thanks and rep for any help that fixes this damn lag.

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

The only thing you could do is upgrade the ram from 2gb to 4gb. Otherwise you're sol because you're on a laptop. I guess turning off all the visual effects for windows might help, but not much.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Is Turion suitable for gaming? I ask because I think RTS is one of the game genre that processors speed matters a little more (relatively) so I don't know if Turion is also what's causing the issue. I know you can't afford a new lap top, if you have old parts from an older desktop (chasis, HDD) you can build a reason desktop gaming pc for about $400

$200 for processor and mobo, $80 for the ram, $120 for the video card and you should be more or less good go. Not really an expert but that's probably the direction I'd go in.

4. chonox

chonox Member

SC2 is a CPU intensive game, meaning having a inferior cpu will really hamper your gaming performance, of course video card plays into it also......

Your best bet is to upgrade. I don't think you'd see much of an improvement with upgrading your RAM. To make SC2 playable a new desktop is probably you're only option as desktops offer the best performance for the smallest price.

If you can't spend say... $300 at least, your options are close to non-existent. A forum I post on recently had a guy undertake a project which he documented, where he tried to build the best computer he could for a budget of $300. I come from Australia, so it would be even less than that in America) by buying second hand products from online buy/sell forums or cheap online stores (I think newegg is an American one?).

Here's the link: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1518767

It's certainly not an easy or straight forward answer (the guy got some really good deals on 2nd hand parts) but it's certainly possible. All the best.