1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help playing video from h.264 DVR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Aug 17, 2010.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

My friend has a video security system and needs to play some of the video off of a USB flash drive on his pc. The system has a DVR that uses h.264 compression.... He's downloaded the clips he wants on to the flash drive, they appear as 264 files...but i can't get it to play on PC. I tried using the VLC mp, but it didnt work. I used the gspot codec utility to very the file, but it says file unknown. The files were downloaded correctly from the DVR to the drive, exactly as instructed on the manual, so i'm pretty sure what's on the flash drive is legit.

Any suggestions? Eventually he needs to burn this to a CD. Thanks in advance.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Is this in the DVR's manual on how to retrieve the clips from the system? I've read some DVR's encrypt the stuff on their hard drive, so you can't exactly just copy them over.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It doesnt say anything about an encryption.....it explains how to select clips and then back them up to a flash drive and that's it. I guess if it's using the word "back up" instead of "download" you'd have to assume it's encrypted? Any suggestions on a reliable program i can use to decrypt it?

4. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

I'm not to sure of the problem you have. But I've played them using CCCP codec pack http://www.cccp-project.net/ and media player classic which comes with the codec pack.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Well, if you followed the manual's method, it probably copied fine.

You might just need the h.264 codec on your machine. The CCCP above should have what you need.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"I MUST BREAK YOU." :eek:

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

For that codec you're not suppose to do anything else besides download it and then play open the file using the MP classic included, right?

It's still not recognizing the file. I guess i'll ask him to make sure he downloaded it correctly off the DVR. Thanks again for the help though.