1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] MS Outlook Calendar & Time Zones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Mar 12, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I do a lot of recruiting with my company for positions that are out of state, mostly in WV and NJ. Several months ago, I came across this issue: I would set an appointment in my Outlook Calendar and send an invitation to the hiring managers over on the East Coast. The problem was that Outlook would automatically compensate for the time zone difference and push the time forward one hour. ie. 4:00 Central is 5:00 Eastern.

The issue was first caught by a colleague out East several months ago after we had already made verbal confirmation of an appointment before I sent it in Outlook. After that, I was sure that I had researched and found a way to stop Outlook from making the time conversion. My work laptop was upgraded to Windows 7 a week or two ago, and whatever it was that I did settings wise in Outlook is now gone.

I’ve tried researching again this morning and I can’t seem to find what it is that I did. Is anyone out there knowledgeable on how to fix this? I had several people pretty pissed at me yesterday when candidates showed up at a neutral location to be interviewed for positions an hour before the hiring managers arrived. And rightfully so. Very unprofessional and wasn’t at all a good look.

I know how to manually change the time zone on an appointment, and obviously I could compensate an hour when entering the time; but that’s just asking for another oversight and confusion down the road. Additionally, our ATS (Applicant Tracking Software) can send the appointments directly to Outlook using a .ics file. So I’d like to not lose that added convenience or have to add an extra step if possible. And lastly, I don’t want to have to go to IT – Because I just don’t. I always walk away from convos with IT feeling like an idiot.

Thanks in advance.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

SRSLY? You want help with Outlook with THAT attitude?

I know the answer but can't help you with that. I work in IT, sorry. :eek:

3. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

There is a Windows Daylight Savings Time patch you can install.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What version of Outlook?

5. HR Dept

It's Outlook 2007. Prob should have mentioned that.

6. bobrek

I guess I am a bit confused by this statement:

" The problem was that Outlook would automatically compensate for the time zone difference and push the time forward one hour. ie. 4:00 Central is 5:00 Eastern."

You should see the meeting on your calendar as 4:00 and your invitee should see it as 5:00. Does it change yours to 5:00 and leave his as 5:00?

7. Chilly_Pete

8. HR Dept

Thanks, but this has nothing to do with Day Light Savings time.

Yes, that's exactly whats happening. But the problem is that I don't want it to do that.

9. Chilly_Pete

Other than it's Microsoft's Daylight Savings Time Help and Support website.

10. HR Dept

"This" as in my problem. My problem has nothing to do with Daylight Savings Time.

Again, thanks for your help though.

11. HR Dept

No worries, I guess I'll just have to remember to manually change the time zone for appointments on the East Coast. No reason why I shouldn't be able to remember that.

12. Chilly_Pete

Sorry I was confused by your statement. I see what you are saying now.

I have seen similar issues of what you are experiencing. Usually it's a case of installing the correct Time Zone Data Tool that will work with the combinaion of your versions of Outlook and Exchange.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So how do you feel now, that you have to do that? :eek:

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It may be an unpatched exchange issue. In that case, you'll havta call the ol nerds in IT! -sigh-

15. bobrek

But, that is the correct way for it to behave. You (in CDT) see 4:00 PM on your calendar, while your counterpart (in EDT) sees 5:00 PM on his calendar.

I am confused as to why you want a guy on the East coast to see the meeting time at 4:00 when it is at 5:00 his time.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This doesn't sound like an issue at all.

The person on the receiving end gets an invite in their time zone. When they travel, their phone should change time zones, and the invite should automatically update. If they're on a computer, they should manually change time zones, and Outlook on their end will adjust their meeting time.

If those people are functioning on "I'll remember the time you tell me in my head", then they should pay attention to the time zone that their invite states