1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Meaning of Hand Gesture

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by baylorbear09, Aug 31, 2007.

1. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

I know, completely random, but one of my roommates and I were watching one the FIBA games the other day and Carmelo held up a gesture that we really want to know the meaning of. It was like he was holding up the shape of a triangle or diamond or something. Larry Johnson of the Kansas City Chiefs also does this after touchdowns and I've always wanted to know what it meant. If anyone here knows what it means I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

something like this?

[​IMG]

or this?
    [​IMG]

or even this?

[​IMG]

3. conquistador#11

It's the international sign for love :D

4. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I guess he is in Delta Sigma Theta Sorority

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

hey. that kind of looks like a vagina.

6. Lady_Di

if you put your hands in a L sign and put them together then it is sign language for vagina

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Tap your right foot and do that under the bathroom stall next time you use a public restroom.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

and of course lady di would tell me this

9. Lady_Di

i'm just expanding your knowledge on a language. ;)

10. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

If you are not really into hiphop, it is a bit hard to explain, but it just symbolizes how much LeBron (and Carmelo I suppose) love Jay-Z's music.

The diamond sign the way LeBron uses it, (although I'm not sure about Carmelo, I'm sure it is the same though) is a gesture showing love to Jay and his record label Roc-a-fella. It is a sign Jay came up with and it just symbolizes the love for his label and is his team (friends and what not). He originally came up with the symbol when he first started out as an artist to symbolize his goal to sell over 10 million albums before he retired. Safe to say, he reached his goal.

LeBron grew up listening to Jay-Z and idolized him. A while back, LeBron met him and he just uses the sign now also.

Not sure if others remember, but he also did the sign at the last two all-star games at the introduction of the starters.

Diamond Dallas Page would disagree with who came up with it, but that is a whole different story)

#10 JusBleezy, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do you mean a triangle like this, using a prop, or opponent?

[​IMG]

12. First Lady

First Lady Member

Kanye does that ALOT. He even tells the whole audience to do the diamond. I never got that. I thought it just means he likes diamonds. I like them too.

13. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

:eek: :eek:

Throw ya diamonds in the sky if ya feel my vibe!

:)

14. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

Its the R-O-C

15. conquistador#11

hence the international sign for love :)

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I thought Dallas Page came up with it back in 1996 or so?

BANG

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

[​IMG]

From wikipedia: Larry Johnson

Touchdown celebration/endorsement deal

Johnson is known for flashing "The Roc" symbol (also known as the "Diamond Cutter") whenever he scores a rushing touchdown. This symbol is made with both palms facing out and touching both thumbs together and both index fingers together. Interestingly, the symbol also resembles his initials L.J. Recently Johnson signed a contract with the Team Roc clothing line founded by Jay-Z.[3] The first appearance of this gesture was after he scored a touchdown in a game on December 4, 2005 (which also happens to be Jay-Z's birthday).

“Some people have Nike contracts, Reebok contracts, I don’t have either or,” Johnson said. “I’ve got Team Roc, that’s Jay-Z, Damon Dash... That’s their Nike or Reebok. I’m signed under that.” [4]

There was speculation that Johnson would discontinue usage of the symbol due to Jay-Z being sued by professional wrestler Diamond Dallas Page for copyright infringement, and the NFL's strengthened rules against end zone celebrations for the 2006 NFL Season. The speculation was put to rest when Johnson resumed using the celebration after scoring his first touchdown in week four of the 2006 season.

18. WildSweet&Cool

Wow! That's Ultraman. That dude was the most badass man on the planet. Thank you for the throwback pic!

19. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

Thanks guys i love ya'll