1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me with my wardrobe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Jul 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to start a new career soon. I have been taking advantage of this change by getting in better shape and saving up for an entirely new wardrobe. It is a diplomatic position and thus it is important that I represent myself well. I absolutely love Amazon and prefer shopping online due to the massive variety of items and great prices.

What I'm looking:

- 10-12 new shirts (those that I can where with suits or stand alone with some good slacks)

- 3-5 pairs of new slacks

- about 4 or 5 new suits (these I might consider purchasing in the store but online is not out of the question)

- 2-3 pairs of new dress shoes (2 black and 1 brown or burgundy)

I have about 4k that I am willing to invest in this so obviously price is a factor.

Now I need your help with opinions and recommendations based on personal experience on what brands I should go with for each of these items. I'm looking for a great combination of quality and price, (Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole, Armani Exchange, Express etc.)

Additional information:
    I am 29 and am not afraid of dressing contemporary and modern. For my job I want people to take me seriously but I also want to make an impact with a great first impression and that starts with good style and charisma. I'm looking forward to the recommendations and thanks for all of your help. I love this site.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Nordstrom Rack is pretty cheap with some quality stuff. I'd look there.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Check out putthison.com. It's a men's style blog that does a great job of not only giving out style advice but also making you aware of good sales at both brick and mortar stores and online retailers.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB U LOUS.

Sorry, that's my only input.

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Pajama Jeans

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've been getting most of my stuff from Brooks Brothers. Might be a little pricey, but it's good quality.

1 person likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

spend $1500 on a trip to madrid and buy everything there real cheap

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

get a set of suits.... then get nice shirts to go with it and ties that compliment.... and a swank pair of dress shoes... do some homework on what you feel projects the image you're looking for first and make damn sure everything is comfortable first. and get those suits tailored for the love of god... can't tell you how irritating it is to see men in shaggy suits.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

You said that you've gotten in shape, so I would highly recommend when looking for shirts, check the fit. "Classic Fit" shirts, to me, are not good looking on younger men such as you and myself. Definitely look for "Slim" or "Fitted" shirts as the silhouette is much more contoured to your body. If you're still a little heavy set though... then be careful. Tight fitting shirts on men with beer bellies are just as bad.

For suits, I'd recommend at least one or two three piece suits simply because the vest that comes with it gives you a lot of versatility. I picked up 3 myself, and during the summer months, I leave the jacket off and just sport the matching slacks and vest. I get A TON of compliments every single time I wear the vest to the office, especially from the females.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ctshirts.com has great, sized, affordable slim and tailored fit shirts.

1 person likes this.
  11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I would stay away from contemporary stuff. The image you want to project is American power and stability. We are The Superpower. We don't do fashion on a whim.

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Always build a business wardrobe around suits, so if one's budget is about $4k, then concentrate on acquiring two quality navy and charcoal suits tailored to your build (not online). Throw in a backup suit or two from places like Jos A Bank or Macy's (Alfani) where your money goes a long way.

Places to find suit and dress shirts for cheap: Neiman Marcus, Brooks Brothers, Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth, and Nordstrom. Contrary to popular thinking, the best deals are in the department stores, not their outlet counterparts (though you should check them out as well). I got a Hickey Freeman from Neiman Marcus for about 66% off in the week after Christmas so timing is also important.

You can find well-made shoes on eBay with brands like Allen Edmonds and Alden. Johnston and Murphy, Cole Haan, Rockport, and Ecco also make decent footwear, and they all have stores around the US so try them in person.

1 person likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

With dress clothes, its all about fit. Go to the store and get fitted. That being said, I'm in love with the no iron tailored fit shirts from Brooks Brothers and Jos Banks. You still have to iron them but they stay nice the whole day even when it gets humid.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the fitment on Jos A Bank (the slim fit) is still a smidge bulky, but still pretty good. As for the non-iron part of the equation, its true, I seriously don't iron Jos A Bank shirts between wears, its uncanny.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Pleated pants are a no-no. this one rule will greatly enhance your body image.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chopped

Chopped Member

1 person likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

God, if you take care of them well enough I would just go to Mens Warehouse for the dress shirts. I'd almost take it down to 5-7 dress shirts in the blue, white and stripe family and just hope the tie and suit combinations make your look seem fresh enough on a daily basis.

I actually think the best advice would be to make sure the hair isn't too gelly and/or spikey, and maybe even a little longish for the Euros.

1 person likes this.
  18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

For shoes and great prices I don't think one can do much better than Nordstrom Rack.

1 person likes this.
  19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

express men has a bunch of B.O.G.O. deals on their collared shirts, 1MX.

then they have the military style shirts with the chevron/epaulette that seems to be popular now. their tie collection isn't bad either.

they'll hook you with a credit card but the sales are always good...

1 person likes this.