1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me pick a phone provider?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RasaqBoi, Jun 8, 2016.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I currently broke my Iphone 5s. I pay like $80 a month for 5 gigs (AT&T)

I was just going to wait and get the Iphone 7 once it comes out. But now I have to get a phone.

I see Best Buy has a $1 deal to switch services but it really doesn't make sense & makes you basically pay off the phone.

Is the Iphone forever deals worth it ? Is Sprint a waste of my time even tho it's the cheapest?

What is the best deal I can find at the moment?

Thanks

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

T-Mobile has a pre paid plan that gives you 10gb data for 60 bucks. You'll have to bring your own phone so best to get on one of those slick deals for a sightly older phone

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've been using Virgin Mobile for about 4 years. It's 30 dollars for I think 4 gigs. I think that is an older plan though and when I get a new phone again (probably the iphone 7 in a few months) It will go up to $35. It's always worked fine, they use Sprint towers.

The only stipulation is you pay full price for the phone (i think it's a $100 off or something) you come out way ahead though for the same service the other carriers provide. From doing the math now I've saved probably about $2400 over the last 4 years, minus the cost of the phone.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Take a look at your data usage, find out how much you ACTUALLY typically use, and then look at Google Fi, as they have now opened it up to everyone. And then look at a Nexus 5X. Good deal on the phone, it works well, and you literally only pay for the data you use - if you use less than you pay for, they refund you the un-used amount on your next bill.

5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Verizon is the best but also pricey compared to the others. You get what you pay for. :)

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My Verizon bill is cheaper than what I paid for T-Mobile, which is why I made the switch. Better service, better price, was a no brainer. My friend switched from Verizon to AT&T, he doesn't regret it persay, but he didn't see the point for switching now that he's experienced both networks.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I've had Boost Mobile for 5 years. I pay $30/month for my iPhone with Sprint coverage. You do have to pay full price for the phone. The 5s is currently on sale for $199 with a $50 account credit, which I just took advantage of this morning because unfortunately I dropped my phone in water yesterday.

I'll probably never switch carriers.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

just switched from verizon to sprint. my bill is more than half price off now. can't say how it's been since it's been only a day.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Totally depends on if this is a single line or a family plan. If its a single line, then the discount on Sprint or Tmobile really isn't that much (and in some cases there is no discount).

The budget brands of each carrier will give you a discount (so metropcs, boost/virgin mobile, Verizon Prepaid, and Cricket). I would focus on those four and go with one of them if its a single line.

If its a family plan, then Sprint and TMobile start to save you money. I'm on the grandfathered 4 lines with 10GB for each line on TMobile for $120. Still can't find a better deal for four lines at the moment.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm with Verizon, just under $200/month for two lines on their Edge upgrade plan. That includes 15gb of data and insurance on both phones. Also includes a 20% discount somewhere in there from my employer. My bill will go down by $50-60 once the phones are paid off.

Verizon is expensive, but it just works. I can probably count on one hand how many times I remember losing service over the past four years since switching to them. And I live in a rural area notorious for poor cell reception. Sprint and T-Mobile aren't even option if you want reliable reception at a home in my area.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Quality vs Quantity

Quality of service = Overall best coverage through the US and actually getting the service you paid for.

Verizon: Generally the best quality of service with the best customer service. My dealing with customer service has been very good. Price points are on par with ATT.

ATT: Quality of service rivals that of Verizon, but not quite as good. My dealing with customer service rates them sub-part. Price points are the same with Verizon. Bonus: ATT has roll over data.

TMobile: Best bang for your buck if quality of service is not an issue. TMobile customer service seems to be hit and miss based on other peoples experience.

Sprint: Gutter Company. Terrible customer service. Terrible quality of service. By far the best price point.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sprint sucks donkey balls.

that's all i have.

13. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I switched to Google's project fi earlier this year. It's cheap. It works in 120 countries. The coverage is good in my area. The Nexus 5x phone has been good to me so far. Only draw back is the phone options are limited.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What are the chances that Google Fi becomes open to other types of phones? I prefer entry-level $100 phones to top-of-the-line $800 phones. Any chance that at some point I can use my BLU Vivo XL on Google Fi?

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The Nexus 5x is $200 right now if you sign up for Google Fi. And that phone is way better than an entry level BLU phone.

But I doubt outside phones will be able to utilize Fi properly anytime soon. I've read that some people managed to get Tmobile service off of an activated Fi SIM but that's about it. And frankly, signing up for TMobile service via MetroPCS or a TMobile MVNO would be cheaper.

16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I really doubt any non-nexus phones will be able to jump on google fi in the near future. The phone needs to be both CDMA and GSM compatibility as well as special software in order to seamlessly go back and forth between T-mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular tower.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'm on MetroPCS after switching from Cricket. I have 3 lines with my parents and only pay $90 total for unlimited mins/text/6GB data each line, which includes the Unlimited streaming music that doesn't count against your data.

I was on Cricket but hated their coverage inside the Toyota Center with the horrible data connection and was limited to 8mbps d/l on LTE. With MetroPCS, haven't tried in TC since the season ended but works beautifully at Minute Maid Park. Not going to lie tho, Cricket does have better LTE coverage since they are on ATT. When I drove to Dallas for Wrestlemania, I was able to stream to watch NXT the whole drive up there. When I drove up to Colorado, had spotty LTE coverage in the same 45 North route, sometimes no data coverage with MetroPCS. If you don't travel much, TMo/MetroPCS isn't bad, but if you do, and pass by rural areas, stick with ATT/Verizon.

I go the pay full price for phone (Nexus 6P) route and get the cheap prepaid services, definitely save you money in the long run.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm using Straight Talk. Got the SIM card at Walmart. It works on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. I pay $45 for 5 GB per month and they just started offering 10 GB per month for $10 more. I switched from AT&T last year when my contract expired and have experienced zero problems with service. Prior to that my monthly bill for 2 GB was in the neighborhood of $110 monthly. You really save more money by purchasing your phone outright instead of paying on installments with one of the major carriers. Plus, the major carriers are no longer subsidizing the cost of the phone anymore so you end up paying extra for the phone anyway. Take a look on Amazon as they have the best selection I've seen.