1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me pick a new phone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Astrosfan183, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

So I have verizon (not switching) and I want a new phone. I basically want the best one there is out there. But I haven't kept up with this stuff at all because i didnt care before. So I figured I wanted the Droid X, but then theres been some not so favorable reviews. I'm not taking size into account right now btw, I'm going to actually go to the verizon store and see that stuff, more talking function. So I was deciding between the Droid X and Incredible.

But then I just found out they are coming out with ANOTHER Droid phone next month, the Droid 2 (jesus, how fast do they pump these out). So, now I don't know if that ones going to be better or what.

So basically, Droid X, HTC Incredible, wait for Droid 2, or another one? I've never had a smart phone before, though I do have an ipod touch I use frequently.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Droid X and Droid 2? They are competing with their own phones now basically?

3. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I'm assuming you are only looking at Verizon phones.

Droid 2 = physical keyboard.
    Droid Incredible = 3.7 inch screen
    Droid X = 4.3 inch screen

Hold them all and pick which form factor you like the best (you can use the original Droid as a close comparison to what the Droid 2 will feel like), then make your choice based on that. They are all VERY similar as far as functionality goes.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S Pro (marketed as Samsung Epic 4 G on Sprint) to come out in Germany.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Judging from google images, I'd say Droid X has the tightest look. I'd get that one. It just looks clean.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Some people are crying about it though. I didn't look into why because Verizon is the one carrier I cant roll with but the complaints seemed legitimate.

7. Mulder

Mulder Member

Check this before you get the Droid X. http://blogs.computerworld.com/16551/motorola_droid_x

I will personally NEVER buy another Motorola product.

8. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Pantech Jest.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I'd say droid x...I have tmobile and won't be able to upgrade for another 10 months...cant wait to upgrade my current MyTouch...

10. Nolen

Nolen Member

Most people don't use custom ROMs, even amongst the geek population.
    The Efuse doesn't brick the phone as rumored; just prevents a different ROM loading.

I'd prefer it to be open, but for 99.5% of customers this is a non-issue.

11. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Picked one of these up today in a Verizon store to compare to my Evo and I can't believe how absolutely cheap it felt. A while back I was going to pick up the first Droid phone until I picked it up and hated the lack of build quality it had.

The phone has a ridiculous bump on the top (for the camera) back making it feel uneven in your hands. It was too long and skinny, didn't feel proportional. And the physical buttons on the bottom jiggled and were loose.

Those issues at hand, were compounded by motoblur. Clunky and too much going on. Not any where near as nice as the HTC Sense UI on several devices. Even the Samsung touchwiz UI on the vibrant/galaxy s was way better.

I was completely disappointed by the Droid for the second time. The incredible is actually a better phone, to bad it doesn't have the hardware that the X has.

Outside of that the phone is fast, looks great on the large screen, and is very capable. Too bad they butchered the form of it, and surrounded it with such a terrible build.

Did play with the t-mobile vibrant also. That phone is an awesome. The colors and the screen were amazing. The blacks were true black. Much better than even on my Evo. Shame it has no front facing camera no flash and only a 5 mp camera. But those shortcomings were not enough to drag this phone down. Extremely lightweight, and had some real nice goodies loaded on it, like swype.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd go with the Incredible

13. yuantian

yuantian Member

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Wait for something better to come out, I've been waiting for the past few years.

15. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Played with a Droid X today. Its pretty big but not unreasonably big. It fit in my pocket.

Didnt get to play with it much though, the store was way too small for how many people were in there and the alarm went off nearly every time i touched the damn thing for some reason. I'll go to a different verizon store, hopefully one thats not as packed, and check it out some more, and talk to the guys there about it.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Vibrant is the same as the Galaxy S phones right? I played with the AT&T version for awhile. I liked it a lot, the screen is definitely its forte and it also has some mean processing/graphics power (on paper). I would have it by now but I am a little weary of Samsung as a phone manufacturer and the thing felt so similar to an iPhone, ewwww iPhone. But if I don't jump ship to Sprint to join your Evo bandwagon it looks like I will have to go with the Samsung. Anyone know if HTC has a big screen phone planned for AT&T anytime soon?

17. Hak34

Hak34 Member

The Evo has been purely awesome for me so far. I'm not hating on the Droid X because I bought an Evo. I'm a fan of Android and don't hate the X, I want all android to be successful.

ATT does have a version of the galaxy s called the captivate. Don't think it has some of the goodies like the vibrant does though like Avatar preloaded, Sims 3, swype, and the addition 2 gb SD card.

I think ATT having such a large investment in the iPhone really fell behind in the android explosion, being that HTC has strong ties with android, you may have to wait a bit for a super ATT/Android/HTC phone anytime soon. ATT is way behind the curve when it comes to good android selections. The Samsung captivated is a very good start though.

18. ubigred

ubigred Member

1. Switch to Sprint.
    2. Get Evo 4G .

3. Root for the rockets and all will be well.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

Evo is rocks.

20. moose

moose Member

I'm also looking for a new phone too, but I'm with T-mobile. Does Verizon work on sim card? Can Verizon phones be unlocked to work on T-mobile?