1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HELP: Managing a band

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by docgundy, Dec 17, 2006.

1. docgundy

docgundy Member

I'm now representing an up-and-coming Houston rock band. They're music is really good. I'm trying to get as many gigs as possible and just "get them out there". They're called Midnight over Athens, and they have had a ton of influences, including Phish, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa. I'm including a link to their myspace page. In it are some of their songs. If anyone has any questions or really likes the music or knows about some good contests or places around town to perform, just message me, write on this thread, or send me an email at yodaw_yodaw@yahoo.com. Thanks.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=57172819

2. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Good luck. I'm having a hard enough time getting goods for my own band.

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

So anyone have at least any advice or tips on how I sh ould make this much smoother?

4. zantabak

zantabak Member

sounds like you're in over your head.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I officially rename this thread the "Band-Aid" thread. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! :p

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your first assignment as a manager should be to learn proper English. Nothing will hurt your band's chances more than having a manager whose emails look like the work of a high schooler. ;)

To be honest, it doesn't sound like this band is at the point where they should need a manager. The band members should concentrate on promoting themselves - going to local shows and introducing themselves to other bands, playing 1-2 shows per month and developing a following. They should also work on writing the best material possible and save money to make a professional sounding recording. None of these things require a manager - just good communication skills and hustle.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ask Yoko.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Being in a band is passe.

Interpretative dance is where it's at these days.

BTW, I will be performing under the name "Magic Feets to Astound You" at the Lucky Dragon in Katy on Dec. 26th. I will be doing an interpretive dance set to the music of Vangelis entitled "The Loves and Triumphs of Doug Henning: The Amazing Journey of a Beautiful Mustache."

Tickets are free with the all-you-can-eat buffet! Come and show support for a fellow Clutchfan!

[​IMG]

9. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Harmony-Central is an excellent resource for this kind of information. Lots of experienced, successful folks there.

I did some work for a few songwriters/bands a couple years ago, mostly getting gigs, helping them plan and budget for tours, and creating promotional materials. I used to wander around at gigs, chat up folks about the performers, and get a finger on the pulse of the crowd. I took my cue from the performers: we would meet and set goals, then draw up a plan. My job was to make sure we didn't lose sight of our goals, that we were executing on our plan, and redirecting where necessary.

Of course, managing encompasses a great deal more than this. Are you getting paid?