1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help! I wanna get better!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

Guys, I'm a senior in High School and I love the game of basketball. I go to a small school where sports is not really taken seriously and therefore I never got real coaching. I've learned the game myself, get help from anyone who knows basketball, and also learned from Calvin Murphy once. I assume y'all know the game, so can you please tell me some drills y'all might know to improve my shooting, ball handling, and defense.

I'm 5'10, about 180. Currently trying to increase my speed and stamina.

Please help and Thank You

2. YaosDirtyStache

Our resident Chi-Mac,Paulftsk, can help you out.

He is legendary for his 8/10's and lies.

The guy has it all, height, shot, handles, defense...hell last week he lost a heartbreaker in the real league that means something...the UH Rec.

If you need anything im sure he is willing to brag in your direction and change your name to BRAH, itll make talking to him a bit more tolerable.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

http://helpfulhoops.com/

This site has over 1000 drills for you or for a team. Think you'll find many helpful things.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Super broad needs:

Assuming that you are 180 and have a bit of fat on you, I'd definitely recommend shedding down to about 160. If you happen to be 180 pure muscle then keep doing what you are doing. As someone who will likely play PG/SG, while playing with friends, speed will be very important, so being slim and quick is worth it.

You have also got to work on dribbling drills, layup drills (with both hands), and jump shooting.

5. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm not pure muscle but I have more muscle then fat. its easier for me to become muscular, shedding fat has been a problem tho

And thanks

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You want to get faster and gain quickness then do hill runs. Once you've gained stamina and leg strenght add a weighted vest but start in 5 pound increments until you max out the vest.

If you have access to a good field of turf plate pushes are great too. Overall work on your quads, glutes, hamstrings and core. Explosive exersices like burpee to box jumps sit down squats will build power and increase your vertical too.

7. SK34

SK34 Member

Can you explain more about the explosive exercises?

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Did you even go to the site I mentioned? There are tons of exercises.

9. SK34

SK34 Member

Yes sir, im checking it out right now. Its nice

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You can never be as good as Jeremy Lin

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Find someone to rebound for you. Seriously.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm not trying to be as good, im trying to be better

14. SK34

SK34 Member

Thats hard to do

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Nah, not if you know where to look. There's usually at least one socially awkward kid without a lot of friends who will do menial stuff like that for you if you ask nicely. He gets a new bro, you get someone to board for you and someone to talk to when you're practicing your shot, everyone wins.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Play basketball to have fun. You will get better naturally as you do.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever you do to add strength, do as much if not more to increase your flexibility. Straight high kicks forward and backward will do wonders to help increase your leaping ability. Stretching and flexibility will be a huge key to helping you get better.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

That'd be messed up lol

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

HUSTLE and REBOUND

Learn the art of the box out. Watch videos of Dennis Rodman, Larry Smith, and Chuck Hayes. NEVER EVER believe that you can never box out a taller, bigger man (that's what SHE said). I'm a 5'9 170 lbs. Mexican that can hang with the taller six-footer dudes because I can out rebound almost all of them. I am not afraid to get in there and hustle for the ball and follow the flight of it, until it's in my hands. I will average at least 10 rebounds every 21-point game and I will get you at least 3 steals every game. I'm the Robert Horry and Larry Smith of your team.

My high school basketball coach who taught me how to rebound, Mr. Ronnie Courtney, went on to win championships with Willowridge HS in the late 90's after leaving my high school. He ran drills of boxing out, hustling, and never letting down on defense. It was defense that won the championships and made him famous.

In order to explode off your legs and jump for the rebound while still gaining the advantage over taller people by maintaining your position, run around the track, and burst into a sprint on the straightaways, running as fast as you can, then jogging the rounded sections. Do POWER LEG BURSTS like in this video, but instead of holding your hands out to the sides, lock your fingers behind your head, and explode UP as you switch legs. Do at least 10 continuously until you're tired. Do them again, and again.

To learn to control your jumps and to box out while watching the ball, stand right under the rim, and shoot the ball. Never bring it down, continue to rebound it, but always jump for the rebound while continuing to have your eyes on the ball. ALWAYS make the shots as you put them back, and continue this until you get tired. You will see that you will make more shots and last longer (that's what SHE said). On the 5th put back, grab the rebound like you're the boss and sprint dribbling the ball on the other side. Score, and start this drill again.

Play tough D. Play tough SwoLy-D. :eek:

#19 SwoLy-D, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XsKurjZBz1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>