1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help Fire Van Gundy! - Email the Rockets your opinion!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

You are like that annoying dog that won't stop peeing on a rug or humping a leg.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm sure they know all-too-well as it was the defense of the Detroit Pistons (the Bad Boys) that helped end their dynasty. The Pistons' defense is what changed the NBA. There hasn't been a team to win the NBA championship without a very good defense in quite some time. There have been teams with above average, but not exceptionally high-scoring offenses that have won it. The most recent being the Pistons. Proof that great offenses by themselves aren't going to win squat : the Mavericks and to a lesser extent the Kings (although they've had good defense mixed with average recently). Even the Showtime Lakers' offense was predicated on being able to rebound and defend to an extent - it's how they got their fast breaks rolling.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Ooohh...you hurt my eeetie betiee feelings!

Use the ignore function you dork. :rolleyes:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

D.o.D,

No one is saying play ZERO defense, but you can still have a good offense and win in the NBA, it is not all about defense.

Especially with the referees finally calling all the touch fouls or holding at the top of the 3 pt line.

The Pistons, and what they got away with, started this downward trend of NBA basketball.

If the refs would just call the game as the rules are written the players would adjust, and the game would improve.

DD

5. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

alright.. i have emailedd and hope for a change by all our emails here.. dont quit, dotn back out or get lazy...if we can get thiss grumpy r****d out of here.... THEN LETS DO IT!!!! i cant stand to watch the rockets lose like this... i jus saw the hornets-rockets game and i was yelling throughout just because the way rockets are playing... same thing again!!
    rockets03 u need to go to the game again and start that chant cuz i think van grumpy has forgotten the embarrasment!!!
    i know we won the game but it was sloppy and we were suppose to beat hornets by a far lead... it shouldnt have been a close game in the first place!

6. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

let us know if they actually respond to the e-mail.

7. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

agree yao.

only the dog that starts to molest someone I would interchange it with

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This thread is just getting better :D :D :D

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I never said anything about 0 defense. I said you must have a very good defense. I never said you don't need an offense, just that you don't need an exceptional one. It's been proven over and over the past several years that the backbone of any championship team is having one of the best defenses in the league. It was proven that you don't need to have anything more than an average-to-above-average offense to win it.

The Rockets' focus should be having an elite defense first. Their next focus should be having a good offense. We really don't have either.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You know I totally respect your opinion on JVG (even if I may disagree a tad), but this (see quote), IMO, is a HORRIBLE reason to fire a coach. I could give a crap whether they look good on the floor or not as long as they are competitive and contending on a consistent basis.

This, IMO, is like the uniform argument. Who cares? It's all about the winning. I'll take substance over style every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That is an outstanding post.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, the only team I can think of in the past decade and a half that didn't have an outstanding defense was the 95 Rockets, who were something like 14th ranked on the defensive end. About middle of the pack, I recall. Hasn't happened very often that the last team standing has a much more dominant offense than defense.

13. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

I'm not saying this is the point of view of a Rockets fan. I totally agree that winning would make me, personally, feel better. However...

I'm saying this is the point of view of someone who treats the NBA purely as a business, say, for example an owner. An owner who has a new arena and a player who is supposedly a foot in the door of the largest country in the world, which also has a fast-growing economy.

If you bog down the team, you usually lose the interest of TV and radio. You lose that, you lose marketability.

If you lose that and you become a team that doesn't win, and your superstar(s) will leave. And then you're an owner with nothing.

Detroit won the NBA championship last year. Do the Rockets have more games on national TV than them? Why? Who else has that many games? Why?

Like I said, Jeff, I totally agree with you, and if someone said that to me in person, I'd claim they weren't a truly knowledgeable fan. But again, I was speaking from a business point of view. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

We found a way to pick it up in the playoffs. I am not disagreeing with you because I am agreeing with your underlying sentiment as well as DoD's.

I believe JVG is on the right track. No coach is perfect. Building a championship team is not easy and usually not preaty. We have two pillars in Tmac and Yao. Tmac's defense is steadily improving as well as Yao's. But the key is always winning. When you win your system seams like the in-thing. I still have faith and I hope old timers like you and DoD as well as other patient & wise folks outther will see the light. The bandwaggon is still open to all.