1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help dispel the myth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Karlfranklin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Major

Major Member

In part, yes. But there's more to it. This, in particular:

No question? Can I take them as truth, or mere stereotypes?

It seems that you're looking for a reason to believe them. And this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=201854

suggests you're very much into conspiracies and have decided you know all and everyone else is stupid.

2. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

You're decided not to bother to present facts to prove or disprove certain outlining of opinions, simply go after the intentions of a poster. Brilliant.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Your problem is that all of these are some what true...

4. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

...And get under the skin of a guy not named "minor".

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I would think the onus of proving opinions would go to those who are providing them, especially since these are general and possibly misleading?

6. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

What exactly is "possibly misleading"?

7. Major

Major Member

This is certainly true. As I noted, you clearly have no interest in finding the truth yourself - if you did, you wouldn't have posted those nonsense Ben Franklin quotes. I'm not going to waste time trying to dispel a bunch of garbage that you could easily do with even a tiny amount of research on your own.

8. Karlfranklin

Karlfranklin Member

I may now know where you came from, Major. It's not a big deal.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

For example, saying blacks are promoted as "tokens", when in reality there exists a gap between even Asian immigrants and blacks. Even though these are terribly vague and generic statements, there still exist contradictions within it.

I would think that the priority of proving these slanted statements ("the earth is flat! now good day.) would go to those who are posting it, but I can help out a little bit.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=1w0...s=3u3qPS-_zl&dq=crack+cocaine+black+white+gap

If that's TL:DR, historically speaking, from 1971-1988, the black-white achievement gap was closing significantly. There have also been many studies done that show integrated schools help close the gap by up to 25%, and that those who are socioeconomically suffering give about the same results (so, for example, a poor white child is doing more or less as well as a poor black child if you isolated certain variables). That the 1990s saw the advent of crack cocaine and a significant upheaval in the black community that did not affect white communities is the main reason why the gap is reopening. However, this historical evidence suggests that blacks are not inherently "lazy" as some would portray them, but rather hampered by circumstance. After the shackles of Jim Crow were thrown away, and before the wave of crack cocaine, the black community was showing a strong wave of gains that could only come from serious effort.