1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

help! cheapest auto insurance around??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pharaoh King, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

well it is time for me to re-up my auto insurance for the next 6 months. i would like to get something more than just liability but really since my car will likely be parked for at least two of those months while i am out of town, i wanted a tip from anyone who knows what the cheapest auto insurer is? it can be a local company or a crappy one i do not really care i just want to save the most money and drive legally around Houston (well, the few remaining months I will be here at least). i was with State Farm but they have steadily been raising my rates over the past 18 months for no reason whatsoever! i asked how they could justify it if the car is over a year older and i have not had as much as a traffic ticket in the past two years or more, and they just give me some crap about "oh all rates have been going up in Texas"!!!

i appreciate all your help guys! my premium was almost $400 but it was for full coverage with $500 deductibles. i am an over-25 single male.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Im shopping around. Esurance seems to be the cheapest so far

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I was recently shopping for car insurance and Geico was by far the cheapest.

4. Relentless

Relentless Member

5. The Boz

The Boz Member

This. Geico really did save me $70 a month for same coverage as Progressive. I was just pissed it took me seven years to check them out.

6. Relentless

Relentless Member

Geico didn't give me a better rate. They were actually higher than progressive.

I've had unitrin,progressive, and now infinity.

7. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I've only had Geico, but I've shopped around at least a half dozen times, every other company was several several hundred more. I almost thought I was putting in wrong info, but Geico was far and beyond the cheapest for me. I'm 26, have an 08 Altima and 06 Chevy Aveo. We have liability, comprehensive and collision, paying about $180 a month. To me at least, that's real cheap.

8. Classic

Classic Member

I'm an agent/broker. If you don't own a home, only have one car and are single, that's actually not a bad rate for Houston. You might end up making 5 phone calls to save maybe $15 a month.

To save money, while you are gone, have your agent remove the collision coverage if you don't have a lien holder on the car. This is the deductible to pay to have your car fixed if you're involved in an at fault accident. Since you won't be driving, this coverage is unnecessary and is usually the most expensive coverage item on a policy. All changes can be applied on a pro-rata basis so don't worry about switching it up. Creates a little more work for the agent but that's what our account managers are for. ;)

9. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

thanks for the suggestions guys! i am actually paying now around $65 a month for full coverage (30/60k, $500 deductible on comprhensive and collision). i shopped around and it looks like GEICO can closely match what i have now with State Farm except with $250 deductibles. i guess the remaining question is this: which company is better from your experience? i hear GEICO has better post-collision service than almost any company in the business.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

For one of my vehicles (2003 Chevy Tracker) I am paying $105/month full coverage. Could I be doing better?

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not enough info, but assuming you don't have a bad accident or citation history, you could do better. Driving record? Deductible?

12. Lil Pun

I have no tickets and I have never been in an accident where I was at fault. Not sure of my deductible, I'll have to look at lunch time.

13. Lil Pun

Currently paying $1240 per year through State Farm. GEICO quoted me at $740 per year. Are these quotes pretty acurate?

14. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KeYhkN5i5R4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I was with State Farm for like 3 years, and each time I renewed for 6 months they would hike up the price even though I didn't have any incidents. I recently switched to geico and it was 100 bucks cheaper for.

16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

That sounds about right to me, not knowing any of your info. Like I posted before, Geico was scary in how much cheaper it was compared to other companies. Ontop of that, some guy ran into me in a parking lot, the Geico people took care of me real quick, it was the most painless situation to deal with.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'll insure you forever for a one-time only payment of $50. Send me a check and I will send you a really nice legal looking insurance card.
    [​IMG]

18. Mr. Clutch

I had a similar drop, except from Esurance. I guess these insurance companies each have different models, and every once in a while you can find one that is super cheap.

They are accurate. If that's what they quote you, that's what you can buy.

19. Lil Pun

This may sound like a dumb question but I have always been with State Farm so how do I go about switching? Do I need to cancel then buy or buy then cancel?

20. Mr. Clutch

First you should cancel your policy at a certain date (it's easiest to do it at the renewal date) then buy the new policy starting at that date.

I just canceled my car insurance yesterday. All I had to do was send an email with all of my info (name, address, policy#, date that cancellation is effective, etc.). Once I get a confirmation back, I'm going to buy the new policy.