1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP!!] Can't Change Homepage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Jul 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok, I don't know what happened, but I can't get my homepage to change from about:blank

I've tried all the basic things - deleting cookies, temp files, etc., but no luck. I'm not the smartest when it comes to these types of things.

Any ideas?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Go to the page you would like to be your homepage. Then go to "Tools-Internet Options and click in the upper half "Use Current". Then click "OK". Done.

3. JayZ750

I'm not the smartest, but I'm not a moron. I've changed it a hundred times. Every time the about:blank comes back.

4. JayZ750

To be more accurate, I change it to something like google, open a new window and then it works, but once I close all the internet explorers, and then open it up fresh, it goes back to about:blank

It's really pissing me off.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hmm....then I don't know. Try running Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep... you've got bad mojo on your computer. I downloaded and ran Spybot yesterday and it helped with a similar problem I was having.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Wasn't there a virus that was doing something similar to this?

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

it's a spyware problem, I had it on my old computer. Spybot has an option to lock your homepage.

9. JayZ750

I just downloaded Spybot and can't find that. Really, there has to be some simple way to fix this?? It seems either illegal or something I should be able to delte simply. I ran Spybot and it still doesn't work.

10. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

I think your homepage may have been hijacked by spyware. Run the CWS shredder found at

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

It should take care of it if thats the case. The site seems to be down right now so you can search on google for it.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I have had a similar problem for about 6 months now. I got tired of it loading a saved file of a search engine as my homepage, so I saved CF.net over the file so now when it opens up that file from my c:/ drive it opens an offline version of CF.net.

12. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I am having either the same problem or a similar one on my computer. Mine goes to about blank whenever I open IE as well and it says at the top "Search For" and then lists a bunch of things to search for.

I've tried to get rid of it using adaware, anti-virus programs, and CWShredder (which temporarily fixed it but it eventually came back in a couple of hours) but nothing hasn't worked permanently. I think it has to do with some spyware in the form of .dll files or something. I did a google search and a lot of people are having the same problem and they can't seem to fix it either. If you find out how to fix it please tell me because it is getting annoying.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If you are just using Spybot you are missing at least half (probably more) of the spyware on your computer - Get Ad-aware - if you already have it make sure you download the new update and the VX cleaner that will hunt out browser hijackers. It sounds very much like you have the dreaded CoolWebSearch browser hijacker:

Ad-aware spyware remover

14. sabirk

CW shredder should work for you. You should also get HijackThis on the same site where CW shredder is found. It will allow you to manually delete references to CoolWebSearch and other sites in the registry.

This happened on my fathers laptop a while back and using these two tools worked. Also, make sure you have the latest updates from windows.com or else CW shredder won't be able to completely remove the spyware. These redirect spyware exploit vulnerabilities in windows that can only be fixed with patches.

15. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I have another suggestion:

Once you run all these adaware and spybot stuff, USE MOZILLA FIREFOX

It'll help reduce the likelihood of this ever occurring again.

16. sabirk

I'll try it out.

Thanks

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Firefox takes a lot longer to load websites then IE does on my computer. Does anyone have any ideas why?

18. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I think you a virus that a lot of my friends got. Don't worry, I tried to change the homepage to, but that doesn't work. I ran Norton, SpyBot, and Adaware, and none of them caught it.

What you need to do is download CWShredder. It's a free tool like SpyBot or AdAware, and after you run it should clear it. Do a google search and you should be able to find it. Hopefully this tool solves your problem.

19. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I've heard of this problem before, but never experienced it myself -- I'll look for a fix, because I know there is one. Are you using the newest version of Firefox (0.9.1)? Also, before you installed the version you're on now, had you installed a previous version of either Mozilla (non-firefox), Netscape 6 or 7, or Firefox?

sabirk -- meggoleggo's given you one of the best pieces of advice you'll hear all year.

20. Knight

Knight Member

I had this problem about a month ago too. I ran the Panda online virus scanner
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
    on my computer, and it detected some spyware virus. After cleaning this virus and rebooting, the problem went away.

Adaware and spybot didn't help in my case - neither detected the spyware in question.