1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello, 6th Pick!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Twelfth on the toughest schedule list.

#41 daywalker02, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    BigShasta and Nook like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

Bunch of dumb MF-ers

roslolian, RocketsDraftTV and Fulgore like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol how has Jabari shown "more top tog". Dude scores 25% of his makes unassisted and still scores less efficiently than Green who scores 60+ % of his makes unassisted and that's also with NBA defenses gameplaning for Green and not Jabari. Your takes are dog **** man.

Come back to me when Jabari is getting doubled, trapped and defensively game planned for every time he has the ball at the perimeter.

topfive likes this.
  4. maj21

maj21 Member

But you’ve made “fire Silas” threads when we lose. I’m confused lol

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

As a pro tank guy this season I'm very happy with "good wins" but I hate "bad wins".

Earlier in the year, if the Rockets won a game because Eric Gordon had a nice night or Garrison Mathews had a hot hand - that's a bad win. Our young guys didn't grow or outperform. Also, recently, we've won some games when other teams sat their best players. There's nothing special about beating the Lakers without Lebron AND AD. Plenty of teams have beat them with both in the lineup.

I am, however, very happy when we beat a team that has a lineup with their stars healthy like the win against Boston. Our team had to step up on both sides of the ball to have a chance and they did. That's a "good win".

As a fan, I'll be annoyed if we get a bad pick because we beat a bunch of depleted and injured teams down the stretch after showing no fight all season. Think about how silly it would sound 10 years from now to say these wins were important if it caused us to miss out on the next LeBron or even D Wade.

All that said, the rockets have mostly exhausted the reasonable tanking levers after getting rid of Gordon at the trade deadline. The only thing they could maybe do is sit Tate and reduce KPJ's minutes for Nix/TyTy/Christopher to get those guard minutes but that might be controversial with the league office. It would actually give us another chance to see where they are at near the end of the season. Some of (maybe all of) those guys will be on the chopping block before next season starts with a big free agency and draft coming up.

#45 pmac, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Fake injuries coming soon

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Why don't you write that it is instead of the 5th pick? If you are gonna make a negative thread, at least give precise information. Even if we finish dead last we have 48% of a 5th pick. If we finish better than those chances are distributed to 6th pick and 7th pick. Is it really a big deal if we land 6th pick rather than 5th pick? Of course it is worse, but we have not tanked for this anyway. The marginal loss there is nothing compared to not getting top 2 picks.

snowconeman22 and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

And coaches and players don't tank, front office tanks.

a time to chill and gfab-babyboi like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Why choose to b competitive now? That's like lovie Smith choosing to b competitive to win and deny the texans the chance of getting the number 1 pick aka best pick by winning that last meaningless game.

Winning these meaningless games is potentially short sighted in terms of draft potential. We are now open to the possibility of getting a 7th pick in the draft just bc we decided to start winning so late in the season.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And it is a possibility we get top 3 too.

go Rockets!

DD

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

This franchise needs a top 3 pick or trade back I agree.
    Miller is Good don’t let the TamuCC game fool you that was a pick up rec center game.

12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets only had 1 stretch where we really looked bad with a bunch of blowout loses…to start season on road with really no time to practice they were competitive …

a time to chill likes this.
  13. RocketsDraftTV

rockets did not learn from the texans apparently

napalm06 likes this.
  14. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

He’s not - I’ve seen enough of his post

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think...while I agree it makes sense to trade out of this draft if you're not top 3...(or top 4)

WAAAY Too early to say anything with any confidence now. Consider, while it might be a weak draft after the first few guys there actually has to be a trade market too. Who will be available?

If it's just some decent vet, like a Alex Caruso type, you're better off just drafting at 6 or 7 or whatever. If it's someone like Jaylen Brown or some other superstar that you never expect to be out there...then yes.

Otherwise, I think saying this now is meaningless. The Rockets can feel this way now but once they settle into that pick, talk themselves into 2-3 guys they really like at that spot, it then becomes harder to trade the pick.

Just way too many variables for now and then the Harden variable too.

snowconeman22 and pmac like this.
  16. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Like I said all season, watch the bottom 3-4 teams all season, they will never allow more than a 2-3 win gap between them all… makes it alot less stressful

These wins are just fine

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

1. Jabari has 100x more competitive juice and doggedness on D than baleGreena.
    2. He has struggled mightily, but his shot mechanics is good. It’s a matter of reps and confidence.
    3. I get that Green is a multi-level treat, I like how he can get separation on his shot. I think he will find place in the NBa as a good offensive player. What Jabari has, is not sauce-y but can be lethal. With his length and high release, he could become a huge problem, once accuracy improves and he gets to be featured more.

Just read what I wrote, Jabari needs to make a leap to get to top-dog level, no question. But he’s got the mentality and the potential. Green has some potential, no question, but he doesn’t have top dog mentality.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or in our case, tanking involves a GM who makes no effort whatsoever to improve this year's team at the trade deadline. No attempted trade for a borderline star, no usable vets brought in to shore up the rotation, buy out anyone who might help. Just leave the kids out there on their own to sink or swim, preferably sink, and hopefully learn a few things along the way that'll pay off next year when we're done tanking.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

These seem like empty platitudes. I've seen Green lock down elite guys like Halliburton also.

Anyways it seems like your analysis is dependent on how often a player screams on the court or something to show that "dawg".

Seems like rather empty analysis.

You know who is more likely to be "top dog"? The second year player who just turned 21 who NBA defenses think needs to be doubled and is the center of defensive gameplaning.

Also even in Green's rookie year he scored 50+% of his buckets unassisted and had a significantly higher scoring efficiency.

glynch likes this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Those of you who were in the Texans forum PISSED OFF at a win need to keep that same energy for the Rockets :)

Arnel likes this.