1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello, 6th Pick!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 17, 2023.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The Rockets now have 26% chance of getting the 6th pick! Good Job Silass!

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Okay. And the same exact odds at the first pick, along with the top 4 picks. It’s a top 3 draft. Who cares?

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

So now you’re mad at him for winning a few games? o_O

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Guess we run it back with KPJ

Streakshooter, RKREBORN and DaDakota like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

It doesn't matter, there's a clear step down after Wemby/Scoot, and lots of good prospects that are hard to rank in the rest of the top 10. We're going to get a good player no matter what and our odds at the top 2 haven't changed, so people just need to relax.

Invisible Fan, Y2JT, cbass and 2 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

It’s not just a 3 player draft and it DOES matter. Thompson for example is likely to be on the board at #4 and he has a lot of upside. There are others as well.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Good win(s), let's just lose a couple, please

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

ITS DICK TIME BABY

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'd rather just trade it than draft Thompson. .233 from 3, .646 FT%? Disgusting.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Might not get picked there though. Depends on the team, he's a controversial prospect. That's why I'm not going to tear my hair out worrying about where we fall in the top 6 or 7. We don't know who's going to be available. Might even be a blessing in disguise to miss out on certain players. Just really hard to rank this draft class from about 3-9 or so, that's why so many draft boards you see are wildly different. It's a great draft class, just not a lot of clarity after the top 2.

roslolian and rpr52121 like this.
  11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No real coverage on the Overtime Elite all year in this forum.

They play in their own league, all I figured.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So 74% against?

DD

maj21 likes this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well, the 2nd and 3rd picks have not been home run hits the last two years so if it's the 6th pick, I'm alright with that. Shoot, the 16th and 17th picks have looked more consistent than the 2nd and 3rd picks so at this point I really don't care where they end up. No player in any draft is a guarantee.

Y2JT likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is no time for Silas to start saving his job.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dame jumps out, of course. I actually think this draft class compares interestingly with 2012. That was a pretty deep draft class too, led by a freak athlete of a big man just like this class. Had its share of busts, but also had a lack of clarity outside the top of the class like this one does, and some guys who got drafted a bit later turned out to be way better than some of the earlier picks, which I think there's a good chance of happening in this class too.

Also, Brandon Miller is totally Harrison Barnes, how did I not think of that comp before?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. keeez

keeez Member

One of the best wins of the season showing huge growth from all our guys. But nah, you wanna come in here and make another completely negative and pointless thread. Man, some of yall are just miserable and will never be happy.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Almost any draft class outside of the top 3-4 is hard to rank, especially this early.

I would FAR rather be locked into the top 5 than the top 7… and that’s for a number of reasons.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Almost any draft class outside of the top 3-4 is hard to rank, especially this early.

I would FAR rather be locked into the top 5 than the top 7… and that’s for a number of reasons.
    It is very hard to evaluate them because of where they play. Some advanced stats predictors actually have their numbers being higher if they played in the G-League… so really it is all going to come down to scouting.
    From a raw athletic and size standpoint, Amen has the attributes of a star - he will enter the league as a top 10 athlete.

He is a good passer as well, but his success will come down to how well he learns to shoot going forward.

He could be Brandon Jennings (great talent that never learned to shoot) or he could be a guy that makes All NBA Teams.

Personally I would like to be in a position in the draft to take him if we are picking 4-5…. The Rockets need a franchise player type guy on the top end.

Thompson is also a perfect match defensively in the backcourt for Green… long and can cover 2’s.

Very much a low floor, high ceiling type player.

Arnel, Yung-T, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Other than trade value, why? The history is quite clear that in the 5-7 range it is very random where the eventual best player was picked.

The Rockets are “up” 4 with 12 to play and mainly playoff teams among the 12. Unless they go on an epic win streak, the situation is clear:
    * 50% odds of top-4 and no variability of odds within that based on position
    * 50% odds of 5-7 and minimal to no variability of eventual draft quality within that based on position.

I will concede trade value is slightly better 5 vs 7, but only slightly. Other than that, it really doesn’t matter.

DaDakota, cbass and rpr52121 like this.