1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heisman Race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by manbearpig, Nov 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Looks like Ingram is going to run away with it. Does Colt McCoy have any chance though? This would be back to back Texas quarterbacks getting jipped by Heisman voters.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Colt should be the front-runner followed by Gerhart, jmo.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Colt McCoy has a good game against Nebraska, it's over. It's his to lose after the A&M game.

I'm not saying whether he SHOULD win or not, just that he will.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Heisman will be determined in the UF/Bama game.

Colt McCoy came up big against A&M, but I see a lot of the same people who were bashing Keenum for the soft defenses he played against are conveniently forgetting that A&M's defense is like running through wet toilet paper at this point. (Pass defense ranked something like 108, barf)

Right now I'd say it's Ingram's to lose. If he opens the door for Colt with a stinker against UF and McCoy blasts Nebraska then we could have a real nail-biter of a vote on our hands.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ingram sucked against Auburn.

I think if McCoy punks Braska, its his.

6. Major

Major Member

Ingram and Spiller likely knocked themselves out of the mix this week, barring spectacular efforts next week. I think Colt, Tebow, Ingram, and Gerhart go to New York, and Colt wins it pretty comfortably barring a disaster next week.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It's BS for Spiller and Gerhart to be in the discussion when Keenum is out cause UH has 2 losses.

1 person likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

QB's always get held to the wins/losses standard, unfortunately. Running backs tend not to be held responsible for wins/losses as much. I agree that it's pretty stupid.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think he played well enough against UCF to earn a trip to NY.

Perhaps next year.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Heisman has been a popularity contest for about 10 years now.

Skill is what we have other awards like the Doak Walker and Davey O'Brien for.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I just don't get this. If Keenum should be in the discussion, Tech's QBs should be in it almost every year. And you should think that Graham not getting invited last year was the biggest sham in college football.

Coogs fans - gotta love em? :)

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Do I really have to explain the difference between Tech and UH's offenses again?

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

A Heisman candidate does not sit on the sidelines in a crucial 4th quarter drive due to ineffectiveness as Ingram did against Auburn yesterday. That in itself should take him out of the race. Love Colt, but how Gerhart doesn't seem to be in the mix is a travesty.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Colt might probably get it on the Eric Crouch type career achievement honor.

15. Landlord Landry

does anybody even know for sure if Ingram is playing in the SEC chip game? I heard s-pin say he had a pretty nasty injury and bama was waiting for tests to come back.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All time winningest QB in college football history.

ALL TIME !

DD

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree on Ingram. He's dead in the water this year. Colt has the advantage of being (1) a QB, (2) a finalist last year, (3) on an undefeated team that will play in the national championship game. If the vote were held today it would be a slam dunk. We all know actually winning the Heisman is about more than merit and the other factors are squarely in Colt's favor.

Gerhart is certainly in the equation and could be the runner-up, but (fairly or unfairly) Colt will beat him hands down in the vote.

Shroopy2, you get it.

LL, according to Saban, Ingram's injury isn't serious.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How is Ingram even in the picture? The last 3 running backs to win the award are Reggie Bush, Ron Dayne, and Ricky Williams. Reggie and Ricky had over 2300 yards rushing. Ron's was more of a career achievement award but still had over 1800 yards.

Edit: I meant Reggie had 2300 yards rushing and receiving and ran a few back as a returner also. He also averaged 8.7 yards a carry.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He's in it because this year has a really weak group of players. I think it's wrong in principle to give it to a guy like McCoy who is not playing nearly as well as he did the year before.

A guy should be winning in his best year, not in a declining year. He's also not really in the top of the stats for his position with the exception of completion %.

Ingram isn't the best to win the award but he is the best out of this bunch.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody should win it this year. Its coming down to the final game though... Ingram could totally win it if he can somehow shred Florida.