1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hedo Turkoglu benched fo partying

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Space City, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mr. Space City

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/03/28/13389321.html

dude has clearly mailed it in. got that fat contract and is on straight chill mode now [​IMG]

2. Mr. Space City

lol smilie fail

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He was a pretty obvious "pay him and you'll regret it guy"
    Last contract, winning has never been important to him, etc.

Nice role player in his prime, though.

4. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

wo. ill they make him opt out of his contract and join rockets? lol

ps: i have never been on the top 5 posts until NOW!

5. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

fixed :eek:

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Took a look at his contract. Jesus, at least Elton Brand's deal is only for 3 years after this one - Turko's is 4.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Even with Portland's current management issues they must have cracked a smile when they got this piece of info.

8. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

http://sportstalkcanada.com/2010/03...3-million-dollar-mistake-and-how-to-solve-it/

Click on link to see stupid Hedo Turkoglu PizzaHut commerical...

The Raps continue their slide towards missing the playoffs and the worst part of this late season collapse is how what's happening now looks like it will echo for years in Raptor-land.

The closer the Raptors come to missing the playoffs, the more likely it becomes that Chris Bosh walks this off season (if he hasn't already reconciled that with himself). But almost worse then that is the contact the Raps have Hedo Turkoglu signed to.

Four more years! $43.8 million left. No heart, no commitment, overrated, unathletic, unmotivated and killing the future of this franchise. His PPG have dropped from

The fake or exaggerated illness this past week might have turned him in Larry Murphy in Toronto (Murphy was unceremoniously booed out of town when he played for the Maple Leafs.) Only problem is, how do we get rid of him?

My only solution is the Wizards. They would love nothing better then to get rid of Gilbert Arenas, and where better for him to go then to a city with strict no-gun laws.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfw4658

Turkoglu and Banks for Arenas works on Salary. Move Arenas to shooting guard or small forward and call it day.

9. blackistan

blackistan Member

Man did he fit in perfect with the Magic last season. Another example of a player playing for a contract then just takin it easy.

10. jose

jose Member

I would say he was more than a role player, he was an all star who could initiate an offense very well.

He is nowhere near the same player as he was last year and I think he doesn't care, just wanted the money. at the same time though, maybe coaching is a factor too because what if stan van gundy was coaching the raptors, would Hedo be doing as bad? I doubt it.

11. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Dwight Howard is so dominant of a player that he made Hedo look better than he really was.

12. jose

jose Member

I would say he was more than a role player, he was an all star who could initiate an offense very well.

He is nowhere near the same player as he was last year and I think he doesn't care, just wanted the money. at the same time though, maybe coaching is a factor too because what if stan van gundy was coaching the raptors, would Hedo be doing as bad? I doubt it.

13. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:00 pm EDT

Hedo Turkoglu has already crapped out in Toronto
    By Kelly Dwyer

He was never that great.

He was good, I guess, but save for one year at age 28 (most players' peak season), he just wasn't too good. Average, sure. Very good on some nights, but average as an average. And nobody bothered to pay attention.

Well, some did. John Hollinger. Otis Smith. Various bloggers and scribes. But beyond that? Hedo Turkoglu(notes) was on TV a lot, and for some reason this changes things. He was on TV constantly starting from his time as a youngster with the Sacramento Kings (who were put on national TV more than anyone else in the early part of the 21st century), through a spell with the Spurs and then onto Dwight Howard's(notes) Orlando Magic. It made a difference.

Then he played 24 playoff games for the Magic last season, most of them not on NBA TV, and man? That was all she wrote.

Hedo never left our TVs, and because what's on TV must by extension be good and valid and worth our time, Hedo must be good. Or great, even.

To the tune of two teams - two general managers who had received more fawning praise than any two other general managers in the entire NBA that I can think of - trying to toss an extended, guaranteed deal that would pay Hedo Turkoglu eight figures a year to play basketball on their teams until his mid-30s.

And, beyond the TV thing, I still can't tell you why.

Besides summertime ennui, ego, the absence of the "advanced" (really, it's not) statistical starter set, and, well ... I've to stop making excuses. Signing Hedo Turkoglu was a terrible move, and anyone with their head on straight last summer knew it.

I rarely have my head on straight, but that didn't preclude me from warning about this to no end last July. The guy, on his career, averages about 15 1/2 points with nine combined rebounds and assists when he plays 36 (starters) minutes. Combine that with his iffy, at best, defense? The pace in which his teams have played? And you have an average player.

This isn't to excuse the dropoff in production. Turkoglu has been terrible this season. Absolutely awful on defense, below average offensively (about 12 points, four boards, four assists in 31 minutes), and he's rightfully drawn the ire of Raptors fans less than a full season into his first year with Toronto.

(Well, he drew their ire less than a full month into his first season, but the enmity is starting to run hot and heavy at this point.)

Trey's post from earlier today sums it up pretty expertly, but there's also this well-placed missive, from Eric Wagman over at Outside the NBA that just nails Hedo right where he's supposed to be hit. Let me quote a bit:

As far as mitigating circumstances go, there are none better than those annoying things we need to do our work but have no control over: our co-workers. In real-life work settings, no matter what our industry, job or pay scale, we all know some people who just drive us up the wall. The people who have seniority and don't seem to ever do anything other than hang out by the coffee machine. The people who never get asked to do ‘special projects', who seem to escape the criticism that accompanies the rest of the employees. The people that seem ‘untouchable.' The people who never seem to do anything, but when it's job-cutting time they always seem safe and when it's pay-raise time they always show up. And while they never show up with a bunch of coffees for the rest of us, they'll be first in line when someone brings in a box of doughnuts.

You know someone like this, I know someone like this, we all know someone like this. Well, the Toronto Raptors have someone like this. His name is Hedo Turkoglu.

So now, fans and countrymen and followers and fanatics, can you begin to understand just how debilitating an influence Hedo is? No? Well, then please read on. Eric did fantastic work with this post.

This can't help but get worse. Hedo isn't daffy, like Stephon Marbury(notes) was, so we won't see that level of weirdness. But he's also not athletic, overrated and quite clearly unmotivated. And Stephon, for all his faults, was still a pretty productive player a couple years before his contract went pop.

Turk? He's shot, right now. And he'll make $12 million in 2014. 2014! Raptor fans, almost to an attendee, would drop a tenner in a hat during every home game from here until the end of the season (playoffs, stop laughing, included) if it meant that money could go toward some sort of buyout for Hedo - and we're in 2010. What's this mess going to look like in 2014?

Remember, he was never very good to begin with, and though Turkoglu is tall and can sometimes shoot, even this guy at his absolute best from the ages of 31-to-35 will be nothing but rather awful. Relative the contract. And that's the best-case scenario.

And yet the team has another $43.8 million to pay him over the next four years. It's such a colossal bust that it almost seals Raptor GM Bryan Colangelo's takes in our eyes. I don't care if the Raps are a 70-win team despite Hedo's presence, Turk's contract alone is worth a deciding opinion. And if it isn't enough for you, darlings, consider that Jose Calderon(notes) and Andrea Bargnani(notes) will average nearly $20 million a year combined for the next three seasons, with Bargs' terrible deal moving toward 2015.

No cap room, no promise, no hope, and that's not even getting into the Chris Bosh(notes) situation. Would you like me to? If you're a fan of a team that could sign Bosh this summer, are you afraid his particular well has been poisoned? Because his play over the last month suggests it.

It starts with being smart. It always has. And the Raptors just didn't have that last summer. The Trail Blazers didn't, either, but they were given a reprieve because Hedo wanted to stay somewhat close to the Eastern seaboard.

As nasty as it is right now - with Hedo stealing money in the first year of his contract, blaming fans, playing terribly, and partying the night after calling off sick for work - this will only get worse. Even if the guy shapes up and gets everything right.

"Everything right." I mean it. Even that won't be enough. Do you know why?

Because he's not that great.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t-in-Toronto?urn=nba,230860#remaining-content

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

In a recent interview he sadi he owned something like 150 guns. The better solution would be to move to Texas so he can carry his gun(s) legally.

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Man I actually looked up to Hedo, as he we a fellow Muslim, but its really hard to defend this guy now.

I kept telling all my freinds that the Magic were worse than last year for the basically Carter-Turkoglu swap, and took alot of heat for it. He was ther oversized point guard when Nelson went out and stepped up in the ECF Finals and Finals.

He is the epitomy of what you should not do in the league if your a GM or Owner of a franchise; Overpay a player because once they sign that contract, they will tend to coast and not give it there all every single night.

This Turkoglu is different than the one I saw last year with the Magic. He doesn't have that killer instinct anymore.

17. sew

sew Member

I was against this signing from day one.

Brian Colangelo is single handily destroying that franchise.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What was there to destroy?

19. sew

sew Member

Good point.

20. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

I would happily take Hedo's contract from Toronto's hands if they ok with this deal.

Hedo/Bosh for Shane/Jeffries/Andersen/Hill and 2012 NY Pick.