1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heath 'has gone to hell'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussiejack, Jan 24, 2008.

1. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

One of our popular radio broadcasters interviewed an American woman by the name of Shirley Phelps-Roper about her fervent belief that Heath Ledger has gone to hell because he portrayed a gay man in Brokeback and you have got to hear her to believe that she has the nerve to criticise him and his parents on his upbringing.

http://media.smh.com.au/?category=Breaking News&rid=34892

I gotta ask you guys...do you believe she's right and please tell me she's a unique specimen there in the states...

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I wish her and John Gibson would just go have a baby and get this whole hell on earth thing started.

#2 Apollo Creed, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

To D&D.

Yes, he's going straight to hell. Along with all of the other actors who played murderers and rapists.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

No, because Hell does not exist. (unless you count Australia)

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She's in part of what amounts to a cult here in U.S.

However I've seen some shockingly barbaric comments regarding the death.

John Gibson who is a fairly mainstream anchorperson was mocking Heath and his death. In fairness Gibson has received a lot of criticism for his remarks.

It's a real shame and kind of depressing seeing some of the reactions to this tragedy.

6. Buck Turgidson

She's part of the Fred Phelps legal racket. They're despicable & well known in the states. Wiki him if you want to know more. Why anyone would put them on the radio without ample background info is beyond me.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm sure some people believe she's right. Most, myself included, probably don't.

She's not unique here, but she's likely not unique to the United States, either. I'm sure a small minority in Australia probably feel the same way.

There's a thread in the D&D discussing something similar, btw.

And RIP, Heath....but in general, his death is really getting a lot more "coverage" then required. It is sad and all, but why people like Shirley Phelps-Roper are even talking about it blows the mind.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Quoted for truth!

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

he lived in hell while filming that movie

actually it was a god movie

i could care less what she thinks

10. Apollo Creed

I can't say for sure, but I can only imagine that they brought her on there, knowing that she'd say inflammatory and offensive things, simply because they want the pub.

His death is getting alot of burn because he was a young actor in his prime, who was on the brink of superstardom.

Or at least that's what I'd like to think. Why it's really getting as much pub is because insane zealots are using his death as an excuse to bash and belittle the homosexuals, even though all he did was star in a movie about it.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This is the same church that pickets funerals of soldiers and homosexuals. They're basically a brainwashed cult. A lot of Christians put too much emphasis on the 'sin' of homosexuality. Yes, it's mentioned in the bible but only briefly and these people act like it's one of the 10 commandments. I don't believe being a homosexual, let alone portraying one in a movie, is a one way ticket to hell. We're all sinners. Who's to say being gay is worse than being a fundamentalist hate monger who completely ignores the compassionate teachings of Jesus Christ?

12. Buck Turgidson

I think this after every highly-publicized celebrity death, but it bothers me that people react the way they do, the whole "this is such a tragedy" sentiment .

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Best Buy cashing in on Heath Ledger's death (from Digg.com):

[​IMG]

14. Apollo Creed

I have no problem with them portraying this as a tragedy. A little girl is left without a father.

Anna Nicole Smith dying wasn't a tragedy...it was probably a blessing for that little kid.

Ledger, by all accounts, was an attentive and loving father. I think it's sad, at least as much as the death of someone I didn't know or cared about could be.

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

People like that talk out of their ass for attention. I am sure if anyone was going to hell it isn't going to be because of what role they played in a movie. Whats going to matter is if you developed a relationship with Jesus Christ.

16. Apollo Creed

Sounds sexy.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think you have an exaggerated perception of that sentiment. This is certainly not getting the Anna Nicole Smith level of coverage.

It is a tragedy for his family, the movie making community, and for his fans.

If Roy Oswalt died in a freak tractor accident, it would be a tragedy to Astros fans. Would you honestly be going around here or orangewhoopass and try to tell those fans that it's not a tragedy?

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

You, my friend, have issues.

[​IMG]

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

you're going to hell

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Playing a bisexual dude(his character was bi, not gay) equals eternal damnation? I know he's a method actor, but I seriously doubt he got into character by doing Jake Gyllenhaal offscreen.

I suppose it's ok that his final performance was a psychopathic mass murderer since the Joker is hetero.