1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heat signs Bobby Jones over Gerald Green

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hooroo, Mar 13, 2008.

1. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Smush Parker got picked up by the clippers before Gerald Green.

2. pmac

pmac Member

probably because guys watched MJ growing up, but I think today's game has the most amazing wing players as a group the league has ever seen.

I think Gerald Green is a much better player than alot of guys being put on 10 day contracts but when you're talking about a guy that is on the end of the bench, what do you want? You want defense, hustle, and high bball IQ. He doesn't have that. If he can find a team in need of a 2guard then I think he will be fine. I remember the hornets basically threw away J.R. Smith now he's putting 42 pt games off the bench for Denver

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

the nuggets were allegedly trying to move him before the deadline.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Member

Is there a remote chance you Green sympathizers are overrating him a wee bit?

5. user

user Member

And Landry dunks much more often with fire. Green looked very passive around the offensive end. Landry is just much more hungry.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How? The most people are saying is that he has lots of untapped potential and has all the right tools to be a good NBA player. I don't see how that is overrating him. I don't think anyone has said he's an all-star or even said he was going to contribute a lot to us this season. Anything positive being said is about what he can do in the future. I think those opinions hold as much merit as the people who say he will never play in the NBA again.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Member

Ah I think you're missing some of the more Green colored glasses posts. Ones that don't understand why Green was cut cause he would have been a good bench player to spell TMac as the season progresses and into the playoffs.

gems like this makes me wonder why can't they see the big ass billboard in bold print that says Green isn't that much of a player:

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

he doesn't seem to be the brightest tool in the shed.

9. dookiester

dookiester Member

thanks for the condescension oh wise one. but where did i say green is "that much of a player"? i said a handful of things which were facts, and one thing which was an opinion. my opinion is that green would be a boon off the bench considering the fact that we struggle mightily just to get a shot off when tmac isn't in the game. the facts supporting that opinion are that green shoots a significantly higher % from the field, the 3, and the free throw line than bobby jackson, our current playmaker of choice off the bench. i also like the argument that bobby jackson 'gets us into our offense' when anyone who watches the games can see that the dude kills any ball movement we may have had, and makes me wonder what aaron brooks did to deserve getting glued to the bench in favor of this washed up, layup missing 'energy guy.' i don't think green is some superstar in the making; i do think he'd be a massive improvement over bobby jackson as a weapon off the bench.

gems like yours make me wonder why people struggle so much with elementary reading comprehension. point out to me how i'm wrong instead of dismissing an argument i didn't even make.

10. dookiester

dookiester Member

also notice that i am well aware something else must be going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of. hence why i said "i just dont understand what circumstances would lead to a kid with that much athleticism and that nice of a shot not getting any minutes, much less even being on a roster." i know something is wrong, i simply don't know what it is. perhaps you can enlighten me in all your infinite wisdom.

11. emjohn

emjohn Member

Take most uber-talented guys off the blacktop, put them on an NBA squad, and they'll be cut immediately, even if they have league-caliber talent.

This isn't pick up ball. You have to execute set plays and excel in specific roles and assignments. Green seems to be one of those guys that just doesn't know how to play structured ball. He's one of the last guys to make the jump from high school, and they implemented the age rule because of guys like this that never learned how to play in a system.

Green was NOTORIOUS from his initial run in Boston as being clueless on defense. Celtics loved his talent, but even while sucking, couldn't keep him on the court because of his inability to grasp concepts and assignments. That's why he went down to the Development League (they initially hoped he'd blossom into a near All Star), and that's why he got buried in Minnesota.

We're a playoff team. If you can't get on board and contribute immediately, there's not much room on the bench. Looks like GG is still too far away from being ready for anyone's liking.

Evan

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yall do realize that Green proably doesn't get cut if Yao never get hurt right? If Yao doesn't get hurt, the Rockets don't have a need to pick up an extra big man. It was the most logical cut. Rockets sign Harris for a bigger swingman, plus he already knows the system. He would contribute more than Green this year. Then we a big man in Justin Williams since we are thin there now.

Getting cut is going to be the best thing to happen for Green. Now he knows he is going to have to work his butt off to get back on a team. He has something to prove. Being cut from his home team should be extra motivation.

Another misconception about Green is that he is some headcase that is a chemistry killer and doesn't listen to people. Everything negative about him has came from his high school days. Yeah, like everyone are perfect angels when they were teens in high school right? Just how somebody posted earlier, there hasn't been any reports of being a headcase.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Thank you.

I personally hope when Landry comes back they cut Justin Williams and re-sign Green.

DD

14. v3.0

v3.0 Member

You don't seem to know the concept of paragraphs or generally well thought out sentences so I guess when you say "elementary reading comprehension" you must actually want the reader to have the same elementary reading skills as your writing skills.

But I persevered and sludged through your masterpiece...

Dude, who was cut and who's backing up Rafer right now...

Thank you. End of argument.

I don't need to "wonder what was behind the scenes" to figure out why Green was cut. I really don't care to figure out why, if you want to put on the Inspector hat on and make a mountain sized grassy knoll conspiracy out of this mole hill of an insignificant player, go right ahead.

BTW, my meaning of "that much of a player" is you basically extolling the positives that you think Green can bring to the Rockets, but alas he won't anytime soon. You know why? BECAUSE THE ROCKETS CUT HIM.

So basically the Rockets are the ones saying YOU ARE WRONG. But go ahead and bust out that magnifying glass and start your investigation of why Green isn't what you think he should be to the Rockets.

I think Green is an insignificant player in the NBA, you think he can be otherwise. Rockets cutting him: point in favor to me.

15. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

I am sure the rockets saw that green was a scrub at practice and just decided that he had no bright future. Just another stromild swift. that really is too bad though because he is a houston native. But he is young enough to still prove everybody wrong when he lands on a team. I mean if he does

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

I think Green will get a 10 day contract with the Heat for them to take a look at him.