1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heat/Rockets Swap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rhay1, Feb 15, 2016.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whiteside would be terrible for Philly. Especially Noel who really is thriving on playing more minutes at the 5 in smaller lineups. If Hinkie and Colangelo care about the development of Noel, Okafor, and Holmes, and they care about the camaraderie in their locker room they stay far away from Whiteside.

I've always thought the Lakers were a good team to take a preview on Whiteside after the deadline. They are the team with the need long term for a young center anyways, and will likely have him on their free agency list after Horford.

The Bucks are an interesting Whiteside locale as is Portland. Young team in need of a 5 long term that wants to take a look.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you on Whiteside in Philly but...i would like to know how much power is still in Hinkie's hands...i'm absolutely sure Hinkie will never be interested in taking Whiteside, but Colangelo may want to cut the stages...we'll see i suppose.

3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

IMO Whiteside is just like Dwight Howard with bad attituide and low IQ on defense. He's always going for blocks first and team defense second. He wants touches without any reliable post game (same as Dwight).

So if we compare Orlando Dwight with current Whiteside, there is no question Dwight is superior center. Current Dwight though...I probably still take him because Whiteside is a ticking bomb, capable of exploding (in a negative way) on any moment.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You got more info?

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

if whiteside to philly? then who the Rox get? Noel?

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That would be most surprising destination in the whole league. And it makes no sense for an array of reasons.

Would they plan on flipping him for a pick? Who would even give a worthwhile pick for a UFA?

Philly already has 3 centers drafted top 6 on rookie deals.

Whiteside would never re-sign with Philly for obvious reasons

Whiteside would help Philly win games this year? Why would they want that instead of just signing him the off season without hurting their pick or loosing assets?

But why would they even want to sign a 27 year old center when they are at the earlier stages of a rebuild? And why would Whiteside ever be interested in any of that.

This tidbit of yours is making my head hurt, can you explain the reasoning behind it?

7. basketballholic

Philly has gobs of cap space and nothing to do with it. They could easily give Whiteside big money and keep him there for a while or flip him to a playoff contender for other assets next February. And Whiteside would have a logical role there in the rotation, especially if Philly cashed in on Noel.

No other team will likely be willing to pay Whiteside as much as Philly simply because nobody is in the position to gamble as much as Philly is. If traded to Philly, they might be able to talk him into a 1+1 max deal that would allow him to opt out after next season and secure a 5-year deal with Philly (or whomever they trade him to) after they have his full birds rights.

Whiteside may want a max deal. He may demand a max deal. But he can't make a team give him one. And frankly, I don't think any team will give him a full max 4-year deal. That's too much risk for even the dumbest GMs in the league. Any team that is leary of giving Dwight a max deal because of his age, role, and injury history (all of them) is going to have a difficult time offering Whiteside a full max deal because of his emotional/attitude issues and role. Just don't see a max deal for Whiteside this summer except for possibly less than 4 years. And Philly is in the best position to take the most risk. Because no superstars are signing to play with them this summer.

#87 basketballholic, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  8. Ns575

Ns575 Member

[​IMG]

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmn Whiteside would walk at the end of this season, he won't atay in Philly if traded there

10. basketballholic

He may do that. But if Whiteside is just an extra throw-in to a larger trade then it doesn't matter, does it?

And that's where Whiteside is. He has no trade value other than as a throw-in, because he has no birds rights. That's just the facts of the matter. Nobody is going to give up assets to trade for Whiteside knowing he could easily walk.

Hence, Philly makes even more sense. ........as a throw-in to a larger trade. ;)

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

The alcoholic insider, always entertaining.

12. basketballholic

Another factor here is Pat Riley is desperate to get out of the luxury tax. He does not want to be subject to the repeaters luxury tax over the next couple seasons. So keep in mind trades involving MIA that actually get done will most likely wind up being moves that allow them to step down out of the luxury tax. And I can almost guarantee you that's what happens if Bosh is done.

Riley and MIA are a prime candidate to be poached if Bosh is gone for the season.

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

So basically you are saying Whiteside could most likely forfeit any competitive goals for a max deal? I think even he is not that dumb. But if he thinks he can get traded later with a max deal because of his numbers of a bad team...

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

in my own opinion, IF the Rockets are shopping Howard they sure better trade him because with Howard's personality can you imagine Howard playing the rest of the season out knowing in the back of his mind Morey was trying to boot him out the door?

15. basketballholic

No. I'm saying the overriding factor for Whiteside is getting paid. Because he hasn't made hundreds of millions in his career. He will most likely sign wroth the highest bidder unless bids are close. But there's not likely to be a lot of high bids for him. And Philly is in the best position to offer the highest bid.

If Philly offers him 4/60 for example, and the next highest bid is the Lakers or Heat at 4/48 then he'll sign with Philly.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

All that would do is make his value even weaker

17. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

Where's Codman posting? In which thread?

18. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I don't know if he's posted today. But he's previously been posting in the "Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard" thread..

He mentioned yesterday I believe that Wizards, Hawks, Pelicans, Suns, Nets, and Blazers are teams the Rockets could deal with.

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

That's what I was implying...he would rather get paid than win. I can't blame him, although Philly is a real dumpster fire right now...

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Whiteside is going to get max offers from multiple teams, Philly will not be the only one.

It also still doesn't make sense for them to max a center unless they trade BOTH Noel and Okafor + don't believe in Embiid. Still it doesn't make sense for them to hurt their draft pick either, why would Whiteside be a throw in?? Even if UFA he still has way more value then a throw in.

Hollic I believe you know somebody because you called the Lawson contract, but this makes no sense on so many levels.