1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare Professionals and Students Roll Call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think your professional office is being slightly generous...or maybe the stats are outdated. Anyway, which medical school are you at right now? I'm going to Tech's MD/MBA....starting 5/18 haha.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

First of all, getting a 35 on your MCAT is no easy cookie though. I hope you work your ass because thats the only way you are going to get that. Take all the AAMC practice tests and don't lose composure test day. You are going to have one part of the exam that is ridiculously difficult but don't give up. I thought I made a 9 on PS but ended up making a 13. Its all about how everybody else does too, they curve it and every question is worth the same.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Application being sent in as we speak. My top choice is Baylor at the moment but I will get published by late fall so my research might bump me up for southwestern. Best of luck at TT.

4. The_Dream

The_Dream Member

Yeah, I took the MCAT last September and somehow ended up with a 35. It was kind of surprising since my highest AAMC was a 34.

I'm a junior at UT at the moment so I don't mind too much if I don't get in this time, but you guys gave me some hope. For some stupid reason, I was thinking about taking the MCAT again to make up for my weaknesses since I felt I didn't study as hard as I could have. Thanks a lot. I should stop spending time on SDN. I thought my C's had basically killed my chances after going there.

And God damn it, i didn't even realize the application opens on May 1. Wow, I haven't even asked for LOR's yet. At least my personal statement is done.

5. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree w what everyone has said previously. Unless you want to go to an Ivy League medical school, where you do undergrad doesn't really matter. It's all grades and mcat. I graduated from UH with a 3.5 and a 34 mcat in '99. I went to an in state medical school. I went to the east coast for radiology residency prior to doing a fellowship at Columbia in interventional radiology. Where you start means nothing, just do well wherever you are. I am a big proponent of UH bc of the price, but you can't go wrong with UT/TAMU.

Best of luck to everyone starting out on the long road that is medicine. Unfortunately, the financial reward has been and will continue to be significantly blunted, but if you guys love your work as much as I do, it won't matter one bit.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Radiology has been hit very hard recently and people on AM are freaking out over not getting jobs at many places. Although it's true that we can't expect an easy finding jobs in metros, it looks like many people outside of metro areas are not finding jobs either. What are your thoughts on this and what do you know about your situation?

I'm asking because I did a personality search on SDN and Radiology was matched as my first choice with 90% match. Never really thought about it previously though.

7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Your app seems to be great but you haven't even gotten your LORs? If you goto UT you probably missed the deadline for the committee letter stuff. Med schools really need that and will ask you why you didn't get one. Get on your letters ASAP and get your app ready to submit. Inquire about your professional school advising committee letter deadline. Ours is called opsa and the deadline is this week. Other than that you have a top notch app IMO.
    Thanks man.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm a neurosurgeon... checking in.

Sup thread?

9. The_Dream

The_Dream Member

UT stopped doing the committee letter thing a year or two ago I think. Probably the reason I procrastinated so bad. I have two professors I'm thinking about asking.

Really bad at this stuff, so just wondering how I should ask. I was thinking about sending an email asking if they could write me a letter. If they say yes, I was gonna take my most recent edit of my PS, a transcript, and I guess a resume or something. Would that be fine?

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Goto a proff you had an upper level med class in preferably. Get a Manila envelope and include your resume and the evaluation form if you have one designated. I would also include a cover letter explaining your strengths and what you might want he/she to write. Proffs normally like a 1 or 2 month window so asking now might require some kissing ass. That's all I can really think of lol, but yea I would really get on that.

1 person likes this.
  11. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Bump - I'm going to be taking the MCAT this August. Currently taking a prep course through Princeton Review, but would anyone here like to share any tips/experiences that really helped in preparation for the exam?

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

hi OP, what kind of study habits and life habits in general did you have prior/during pharmacy school? how hard did you work? what was your mentality and self-motivation to push yourself forward?

thanks in advance for your advice

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I took a TPR course as well, it really helps and is the best option IMO. This might not sound helpful, but it is the truth...DO EVERYTHING! All the practice tests, all the workbook questions....just everything...

The TPR practice tests are hard but it is a really good way to check your knowledge base because on test day believe me...one of the sections on the exam is going to be ridiculously difficult and is going to seem completely different from what you have encountered.

TPR is great for the physical sciences if you do everything but I found The Berkley Review books to be really helpful as well.

In terms of verbal it is lacking but tbh, I don't know how one really improves on verbal other than just practicing...

best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Graduating from UTMB SOM on Saturday. Woot!

15. The Drake

The Drake Member

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Wash U Bears.

I know it's over a year old, but I wanted to clear that up. :)

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can you, or anyone that is a physician, elaborate more on this? Not that making more money than the average professional isn't mainly why I'm applying to medical school, but it's definitely a factor that exists.

People keep telling me "gone were the days that doctors made boatloads of money and laugh all the way to the bank." Nowadays, I hear stories about how Obamacare is going to crap on physicians, and how there's so much red tape for a physician.

Also, I've heard that the burgeoning cost of medical school is getting even more ridiculous by the year.

Even a physician who I work for, whom I told I was taking the MCAT, hinted that nursing and other fields of healthcare were great, in lieu of becoming a doctor.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

From what other people tell me the pay being slighted is exaggerated. I don't like what the AAMC does by controlling the influx of med school students so tightly (despite our increase in population the last U.S med school we built was in 1980...) but it serves a purpose when it comes to keeping pay stable.

I think what the doctor means, and it is true, is that after 4 years of med school you live on residency pay of about 37K a year for 80 hr weeks which could be upto 4-6 years depending on the residency you do.

P.As and other professions are 2 yrs after college and some of them start making close to 6 figures right away. There is a lot of work involved and I don't think people can get by just for the money is what people imply with med school, if it is about the money you could take that intellect and apply it to the business world and make more.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, I went to Washington University in St. Louis.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Bumping this thread.

This question is for everyone: MDs, DOs, Internet tough guys, etc.

How do you feel about DPM? Never even heard of a DPM program until a week ago when I got something in my email informing me to check out Podiatric medicine. (Got the email because I took the MCAT in May)

Researching teh interwebz, it seems as though DPMs are to MDs/DOs as chiropractors are to MDs/DOs: a total joke of a profession.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm thinking about applying to a DPM program.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have no idea what a DPM is.