1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare Professionals and Students Roll Call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 19, 2012.

1. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Nice thread! I am starting pharmacy school at UH in Fall 2012 and I wanted to get your take on the future of the profession. I've been hearing a lot of negativity regarding the job market and work conditions so I wanted to know how do you view the profession progressing (or regressing) in the future. I noticed you are applying for medical school, are you not happy with your profession as a pharmacist?

Thanks a lot!

2. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My first choice for this upcoming cycle! Are you going to be a student interviewer?

3. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

There is quite a massive debate already on the SDN forums regarding this topic, so I would definitely read up on that first. I have answered my reasons for switching earlier in the thread [post #10].

As far as where this profession is going...nobody knows and nobody can actually give you a good answer. There are just too many factors at play from the PBMs, slowing of retail expansion, to a glut of new pharmacy schools. Medication management therapy was supposed to be our saving grace, but it hasn't caught on as much as we hoped it would. However, we are moving forward in immunizations [shingles, hepatitis, meningitis,etc], health testing [cholesterol, a1c, etc], and medical supplies, so at least we are moving away from just dispensing medications as our only source of income.

The main point is to do something that you will enjoy, or at least you can possibly see yourself doing long term. Please keep in mind is that almost every field is like this, even in medicine. For example, radiologists are having trouble finding jobs, especially this past year. There are several forums discussing this as we speak. For anesthesiologists, there are always CRNAs that can do the "simple" tasks at a cheaper price. With the ever-expanding NP schools, increased scope of practice for other healthcare professionals, the list goes on and on.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm going to Remington college and finna be a pharmaceutical tech. I'm going to start making the big bucks. They get you a job too. I wanted to be a flebotomist.

5. HombreDeHierro

dunno about this part lol

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

No, I graduated a few years back.

7. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Not sure if this is a serious post. Nobody says "pharmaceutical tech". It's either a pharm tech or pharmacy technician. If making $10-17/hr is "big bucks" to you, then you're at the right place.

8. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Nice stats buddy.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I'm at 99% of the student interviews and if you're lucky I'll be giving your tour. UTH does not have student interviewers though.

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

The debate is massive indeed, across all scopes of practice in medicine. RNs already have a ton of skills, influence, and power, and are steadily gaining more and more of the same, and no one really knows what's going to happen with future changes in healthcare....the whole industry is in a state of flux.

I really never wanted to go back to school after my BSN....I'm in my mid-30's and already had one BS....but the paycheck (and authority) of an RNP is awfully alluring....especially if I decide to stay in psych. Arguing with therapists gets old really quickly, lol.

11. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

College: UT-Austin
    Med school, Residency, Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine

My take on the role of the following factors:

College - Big name college can help, but you can get in from nearly any college. The key is to excel wherever you are. The difference is that there's a bit more hand-holding and grade inflation at some Ivy league and private schools, whereas it's a lot easier to fall through the cracks at a large university.

GPA - probably the most important factor, particularly science GPA, which they look at separately. get off to a good start because it's very hard to undo the damage from a bad freshman year

Major - doesn't matter nearly as much as people think. You want to be strong in your science courses but you don't have to major in Biology or Biochemistry to get in. In fact, you end up looking just like the other 3/4 of applicants who all major in those fields. I actually double-majored in Biochem and Sociology, and I got a lot more mileage out of my Sociology stuff during interviews

MCAT - It's kind of like measurables for the NBA or NFL, the better your MCAT, the more likley a school is to consider and interview you. You can get in with average or slightly below average scores, but it's a lot harder. If you're in the mid-30s, you should get to a good school.

Research - nice to have but not necessary. Publications, particularly as a 1st author, are more impressive.

Volunteering - Important to do to show interest in medicine and effort on your part, but it rarely sets you apart

Organizations - Leadership is more important that being a member in a hundred different clubs

Essay - The reality is that they all sound the same after some point, so it only matters if you can write an awesome one. A good opportunity to be show your uniqueness by focusing on something different or writing in a different style.

Interview - Not enough to overcome weak numbers but you can definitely sink your chances with a bad one and put yourself over the top if you're otherwise borderline. Make sure you do your homework ahead of time and emphasize things that set you apart. Whatever you do, don't be rude to administrative staff because that's the quickest way to have your application torpedoed.

The bottom-line is that there are a ton of applicants that are all really smart and look really similar on paper. The numbers (GPA, MCAT) get people in the door, and then the other stuff make or break the deal. You should put yourself in the shoes of the school and think about how what makes you a better choice than the guy or girl with the exacet same resume. If you get an interview, be prepared and show interest in the place you are at, and demonstrate some passion. After that, you just hope it works out.

Best of luck to anybody applying to any professional school and feel free ton throw out any more questions.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

hey OP which cllege of pharmacy did you attend

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I guess I'm the only one in the optometry field here. 4th year opt student at UH.

14. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

My best friend is actually a 4th year at UH Opt also. You probably know him, but I won't list him on here for privacy reasons.

Texas Tech. You?

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Now be honest. How many of you are Indo-Pak?

16. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I've been an EMT for a little over 2 years.

17. moose

moose Member

Right here! UT Pharm student.

18. itony

itony Member

Do you have any openings for a pharm tech with no experience? :)

What did you pharm guys use to study for the pcat? More nervous about the verbal and math sections...pretty rusty on the pre-calc and calc

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

dont do kaplan, waste of money and time

do that dr. collins, from what I hear from all of my friends, thats waaaaaay better

20. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

Graduating from PV in December with a BS in biology and chemistry. Applying to TAMU college of veterinary medicine or getting my Masters in Zoology at the University of Oklahoma. Which ever one I get accepted to. Might not have to do either. Getting ready to take the GRE.:( I found a job looking for marine biologist and that's where I wanted to head in the first place, but I need my degree already. I'll have it soon enough.