1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Headphones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Apr 28, 2013.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Funny that the red color is the cheapest while the others is at full price. Talk about supply and demand. Fine by me, Rockets red baby. The Sennheiser is a popular choice too amongst here but can't find an over the ear except for online. Don't care too much about wireless, strictly to use at home, so....

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you don't care about ambient noise or other people hearing what you are listening to, then I would recommend open air cans. They sound much more natural, and they are much more comfortable. I have a 20 year old pair of Sennheisers HD580's and they still kill any headphones I've heard under 250 bucks.

3. gah

gah Member

I'm new to the mid-fi headphone world. If you're going to strictly listen at home then open headphones are probably best for you.

First ordered the Sennheiser HD 598 ($150) on Amazon but then found out about the Phillips Fidelio X2 and made an impulse buy ($320 with tax; they're 248 right now on Amazon). People were comparing them to much more expensive headphones (granted, its more direct competitor, the HD 600, goes for a similar price now, which has my impulsive self very much intrigued but I can't justify owning 2 headphones, plus the 600s needs further investments as it needs to be paired with a good amplifier).

So I flipped the HD 598 and can say I miss them. When ordering them I didn't care too much about their looks but in the brief time I had them I took a liking to them, also they are very light and super comfy; something I cannot say about the Fidelios because only after a couple of weeks have I began to feel at ease with them.

Comparing the sound, and what brought me to the Fidelio, these have much better bass (the HD 598 are lacking in that department).

I have to say that in the brief time I compared them, and probably just a function of me being used to them, the HD 598 had a more pleasant mid-range, with vocals sounding more silky. The buzz over the Fidelios made me get them but in hindsight, I would have been happy just sticking with the Senns. This perception can change since people are saying the Fidelios need 200+ hours of burn in to really sound best, call it headphone or brain burn in.

I have to confess I had false expectations when upgrading to mid-fi headphones since I was blown away when I upgraded from my generic computer desktop speakers to a decent pair (M-Audio AV 40). I cannot say the same about the step up on headphones (I'm coming from the Koss Porta Pross and Klipsch Image S4).

To comment on Beats, I've never wanted to try them for the following reasons: Much like Bose, they are generally regarded as overpriced. At the expense of neutrality, they have overemphasized bass. Would I ever like to try them for hip hop music? Yes, but not to be my all-rounders.

Finally, I have to give some love to my new in ear headphones, the Xiaomi Piston 3. Those little guys only cost me 16 bucks and they sound much better to me than the Klipsch Image S4 ever did.

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Member

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Some people may find the m50s boring. If you like bass then I wouldn't recommend them. If you are a hip hop listener look elsewhere.

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y5DyEYuvF3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

#47 NewRoxFan, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

You can spend much $$ on quality cans as you like but you're all suckers if you listen to Mp3's with them. Like putting cheap wheels and using cheap gas on a fine sports car...:rolleyes:

9. VanityHalfBlack

Ya'll know your stuff, audiophile nerds, hah!!! I'm a sheep I went and got the Studio beats... For now.... I'll probably return it and get something on here though.

10. VanityHalfBlack

I use Tidal, it's hifi sound.

11. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Member

The beats are so poorly made its hard to ignore. Forget the sound quality which is average at best and lowest in their price class but just literally hold a pair in your hand. They feel so cheap. I really wanted to like them but no way i could justify dishing out that kind of money for something that feels like a knock off of what the beats should be like.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

If style is important, and you don't like the Beyerdynamic models I linked earlier in the thread check these out. They are the style over substance model Beyerdynamic has out that compete with Beats.

Plus if you need a celebrity musician endorsement, they got you there.

David Gilmour!
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-100-Headphone-30Hz-20kHz/dp/B00RNPTA7Y/
    [​IMG]

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looking forward to your review. I'm looking for

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking forward to your review. I'm looking for comfortable over ear headphones. Preferably some that block out noise but nothing for high end sounds. They'll be used mostly for audiobooks and podcasts. $50-75 price point.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Koss PortaPro for under $50 with excellent sound

16. hmurry5

hmurry5 Member

I use SOL Republics and they sound great to me with a nice look. Can range from $100-$200.

17. magnetik

magnetik Member

I'm using heavily modified Beyer DT770's and never had a reason to replace them.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Will look into that incase sonic for sure. Just picked up the ATH-M50x with amp bundle on Amazon for $180, can't wait!!!! Tidal streaming service is dope folks!

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Go with any Audio Technica product. You won't go wrong with whichever of their headphones you choose imo.

20. Disciple of RP

I'm all about the audio-technica ath-m50x headphones and would recommend them to anyone looking for mid-level cans.

That being said, if you're looking for some in-ear headphones...be they for running, cheap backups, or whatever...I have NO problem recommending the $10 SkullCandy Jib2 earbuds from Best Buy or Wal Mart.

Flame away, brehs...but these buds provide hard bass, solid mids and highs and strong value overall.

If you're "barely broke" or just need some cheap buds: pick these up; you will not be disappoint.