1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Headphones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Apr 28, 2013.

1. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

V-Moda M-80. I bought them a few months ago and they're still a joy to listen with today. Nice, balanced sound with good punch on the bass. Good build quality, and the hard shell case is nice if you're over protective like I am. I bought them at Radio Shack for 130 , dunno if that's still going on though

2. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Just search amazon and google "noise canceling" headphones. The pair above are noise canceling if you're interested.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I thought noise canceling helped block out sound from around you. I'm talking about noise from the headphones being leaked out for others to unwillingly hear.

Or am I just dumb and that's the same thing?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

^You're right. It's generally categorized as isolation.

Noise cancellation is about dulling the noise outside. Audiophiles poopoo Active Noise Cancellation because it also cancels out some frequencies coming from the headphone itself. Passive Noise Cancellation is about dampening the outside world and you and there's no electronic wizardry behind it.

But if you're sitting on a plane, I think I rather hear a less detailed track with ANC than the sound of the engine...

Some headphone forums or reviews will rate isolation of the headphone you're looking at for you, and if you see something like sound-leak, that usually means how much a person next to you can hear your headphone.

All open headphones will leak sound.

1 person likes this.
  5. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Or maybe I'm dumb Lol :grin:

6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

This guy knows his stuff.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Thanks. I spent a lot of money on headphones only to realize that if I had combined all of those purchases, I could've bought something insanely nice.

Which is why those audiophile forums suck. You have 10% of the posters who have ridiculous amounts of money to hear and nitpick a good amount of headphones, 40% who own that one but not many others like it, and the rest parroting opinions off the other.

So you fall into a trap of thinking the $100-200 cans you heavily researched into are crap, when in truth they level out to three or four "sound personalities" (analytical/detailed, fun, clubbing/DJ, hybrid) and to make it sound ridiculously better you'd have to spend 4 times as much.

Don't get me wrong, the difference between common headphones you see and the categories I researched can sometimes be huge. But diminishing returns is a big factor once you feel like pouring more than 200. Then it spreads outside headphones...

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Once again...thank you very much. You're the man. I appreciate it.

9. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a pair of bowers and wilkins P5's......would recommend for portability

if you want something for home then the denon AH D5000's are nice

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

What you want are closed cans. Do NOT get noise canceling.

I have recently been in the market for closed cans as well. I have three open pairs but wanted something closed and decently portable. For about $150 I would suggest my newest pair, Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. They are pretty small and don't fold tiny but do position flat so I can put them in a carrying bag inside a messenger bag or backpack. Sound is detailed and balanced. I have been pleased.

If you want super cheap I also have had good experience with the Beyerdynamic dt 235 cans. They don't fold at all so not perfect for what I wanted but otherwise they are a great value and very comfortable. I am keeping them just to have as a cheap backup and because for some reason I need 5 pairs of headphones. Unhealthy addiction.

EDIT: definitely don't get Beats and the only Skullcandies I have heard decent things about are the Aviators. Even then, thou, I think you are paying more than the sound is worth...just extra for them to look cool.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Member

bump. (Mother's day)

Looking for some solid workout headphones... What do you guys use for running/gym/etc?

Thanks. Rep for assistance.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Bump again.

I need a pair of high quality earphones for use with my smartphone. (Needs to have a mic). Don't want to buy something expensive, but I do want something with much better sound quality than your average $10 set.

16. So Good

So Good Member

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

18. VanityHalfBlack

Those beats studio headfones any good? Looking to price match at Fry's? Or do you guys recommend the audio-tech ath-M50??? Basically, I'm looking for over the ear, comfy fit with hi-fi sound like I'm at a concert.

19. Disciple of RP

I love the ATH-M50x

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I've owned the original Ath M50 for about 3 years now. Im quite happy with them but I will soon be upgrading to something else.

I got to hear my cousins Beats Studio 2.0 and I honestly preferred their sound to the M50. Just my opinion. You can pick up a used pair of Beats Studio 2.0 at amazon for around $90 right now. And they are much much more comfortable than the m50.