1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Headline: “JEFF VAN GUNDY FIRED!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 5, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Because his coach could not figure out a way to utilize his talents?

DD

2. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Because the coach is a stubborn ******* who can't utilize anybody's talents including tmac and yao and vspan and novak and snyder and wells.....francis......

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I can't believe that anybody is on Bonzi's side at all. He has a history of being a punk, came to camp looking like Nell Carter and quit on the Rockets. That's Van Gundy's fault? Please. I think Van Gundy should stay. I don't see anybody who could get more out of this roster. What failed the Rockets is not getting James and being inactive during the season on the trade front. Let's see what Morey does. The dilemma that Van Gundy faced this year is that he had to push the team to the limit to get home court in the first round. With all of the injuries, Bonzi's issues and lack of any roster upgrades during the season, Van Gundy couldn't afford to really experiment with the younger players. The problem with Lucas, Spanouliss and Snyder is that none of them could shoot, or defend well enough to be on the court. They back up point guards certainly wouldn't have been able to run an offense. I didn't see any evidence that giving those guys significant minutes would have helped the Rockets this year.

4. Panda

Panda Member

Punk or not, Bonzi could wreck havoc on the Kings in the playoffs against the Spurs. That's all that matters.

Rodman was a punk and key in winning the Bulls championships.

JVG, on the other hand, is a coach who can't adapt to different personalities. Put JVG on the Bulls and the Bulls would have three less rings. Punks like Bonzi and Rodman would be rotting on the bench just to prove he's a tough coach.

We lose because we only play as a team on one end of the court, and we don't have depth. Utah plays as a team on both end of the court, and they have depth.

We lose because the Rockets somehow lost the passion and love for the game. They came out the most important game in their lives looking like flat tires. Can't blame them, any human will get depressed playing ugly ball for too long.

It's a team game. End of story.

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I agree with whomever said JVG will resign before being fired. I appreciate JVG's efforts...I really think he wanted to win, but he is just not able to extract the best out of Yao and Tmac and he is never trusting in young players. So, you can see what happens with old players by looking at the Heat. Even if Jvg had won a ring, the following year they would have been swept in the first round.

I was never a fire jvg person, but I just don't think he will be around next yr.

we need a full healthy year from Yao and tmac
    true penetrating pg
    true 4 with postskills and 15 footer
    younger offensiv/defensive capable backup 5
    legitimate 3rd scoring 6th man and a deeper bench in general.
    This will allow the roxs to pace themselves in the season, win 55 games, turn it on post-allstar game and have a fresher tmac and yao surrounded by players that can create for themselves and hit the open shot.
    Yao and tmac will not be run ragged just to keep the team competitive during the regular season.

rant over.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Here's why Van Gundy will be gone

There's no way in hell Les is gonna re-sign this dude for 3-4 years after what happened in this series. And we know Van Gundy won't take a 1-year extension. There's too much at stake for this franchise going into next season(as well as the 2-3 years after that) to risk it by gambling on Van Gundy being the guy to take these guys to the next level.

I like the job Jeff has done for this organization. But I think given his "free agent" status and the fact that Les will be very hesitant to commit a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal to a coach who's 0-3 in the playoffs(and 2 of those series were ones the team should've won), Van Gundy has coached his last game for the Rockets.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

i hope u r right.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dear tiny, infant, baby Jesus, please make this be true !

DD

9. cmellon

cmellon Member

JVG must be gone... that's number one priority... coupled by personnel change outside of Yao and T-Mac... if it's still not working... just break the team

10. sliu1

sliu1 New Member

It is not JVG's Fault? :mad:
    He is stubborn and not smart.
    He should use kirk Snyder and Bonzi Well. Too late, he is gone. Bye BYe JVG

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I would disagree with that. Shane did a good job for this team. Luther developed into one of the league's best 3-point shooters(although he did suck in this series). You keep those two. I don't mind keeping Chuck Hayes either, although I'd much prefer him as a hustle guy off the bench, much like Millsap was for the Jazz. Deke is a solid backup center, so he stays.

But you can't be relying on Rafer to play 40+ minutes a night. You can't have Juwan Howard and Chuck as your only power forwards. And you have to at least give a shot to guys like Kirk, V-Span, and Novak. Why even bring them here if they're gonna sit on the bench? And if they're not the answer, get players in here who are.

But it all starts with the head coach. Les and the front office have their hands tied in terms of personnel moves. A low first rounder and the MLE are basically it. So the only big splash left for them to make is to bring in another guy to lead this team.

12. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Agree for the most part. I think other than the ton of knee jerk reactions, most of the sensible posts I've seen involve getting a 3rd scoring option, whether at the 1 or 4 or both, and building a better offense. That generally means JVG goes and we make tweaks to our lineup. I think we also need to dump the trash off our bench like Bonzi and JLIII, clear some cap room and sign a good free agent.

13. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Let's pull a Golden State and bring back a coach from our glory years...

Rudy T anyone?

14. akuma

akuma Member

you don't need a very solid player at every position (Phoenix) or an ultra deep bench (Dallas). last year, who did Miami have really besides Wade? there aren't any teams right now that strike me as truly good. Phoenix is overrated. Dallas (and Cuban) is a repeating joke in the postseason. Miami is done. San Antonio might have one year left of contending basketball. Detroit without Big Ben and with a diminishing Sheed is a second-tier team. man, the Rockets truly let a great chance for the championship slip away :( :mad:. on the bright side, next year, the best teams might slip down even more (except Utah :mad: are they really that good?); if only the Rockets could capitalize.

the Bulls of old had freaking Luc Longley at center and Ron Harper could never play more than 28 mpg. the other "PG" that played over 20 mpg was the one-dimensional Kerr. the only other notable bench player they had was the defenseless, not very good rebounding, but decent passing Kukoc. there was no consistent scorer from the starters outside of Jordan/Pippen. why were they so invincibull, winning 72, 69 and 62 games (even without Pippen - their Yao?- for 35 games) and steamrolling through the playoffs? MJ? he was largely a jumpshooter (turnaround fadeaway) during the last 3-peat. even with todays' rules (actually especially with today's rules as Pippen - along with Jordan/Rodman/Harper - could never be called for illegal defense) and today's players, that team could still win it all numerous times. don't get me started on the 3-peat Lakers and their numerous holes and weaknesses.

i really wish i could see just once what Phil Jackson could do with this team.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Regardless of the coach we need a 3rd scoring option who can create their own shot consistently. I think Van Gundy is a good coach. I think the determining factor for Les Alexander should be who is behind the personel decisions. Rafer would be a great back up point guard, but can't be a starter on a true contender. Likewise for Hayes. Battier would be a great 6th man, or at worst he should be the 5th best starter. Unfortunately he is the 3rd best player on the team. The worst thing is that none of our rotation players are likely to be any better next year. They are all pretty much at their skill limits. So is it Jeff who wanted the roster like this or Dawson? How much of it was bad contracts prior to Jeff taking over limiting roster moves? What people who are not playing have potential to become huge contributors under a different coach?

Of course having the zero experience Morey taking over as GM next year isn't exactly encouraging news. Too bad we can't convince Jerry West to postpone retirement.

16. blackbird

blackbird Member

JVG is an idiot.

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

To this day I wonder how much more a coach like Don Nelson could have got out of our bench and superstar players. The game is about defense but you have to be able to make in game adjustments. You also need to play the way Calvin Murphy used to. Just stop and pop from about 15 feet. It is true, our offense is too stagnant and predictable.

18. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

JVG would be a great assistant coach. So he can just focus on teaching the players defense and stay away from them on offense.

19. jinyaomac

jinyaomac Member

FIRE damn JVG!!!! His coachin style is from mid 90s!!!!!! Even my dog figured out how to counter his coachin strategy!!! no excitement what so ever!!!!!!

Hire Rick Adelman, which might help us to get M.Bibby somehow :D

or

Merio Elie! baby!!! new fresh coah is not that bad idea..

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Paul Silas is perfect fit loved the way he molded the hornets into a top team. he's Cavs days were not the best years, but he is a great coach. Rudy would be my fave choice, but he has said he's done coaching.