1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Head scratching coaching by Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

His job isn’t to develop players….it’s to win games! What don’t you people get??? Oh wait a minute, he’s not doing either……..yet me and Hakeem94 are basically the only freaking guys on this board not happy with Silas. Gotta love the non-competitive nature of the Houston fan base. Maybe someday I’ll lose the edge and just accept the loser mentality as well, but right now guys like me and Hakeem94 are the only heroes on this website trying to save the rest of you from mediocrity.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What is his salary?

I thought he was the cheapest option at the time

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Hot tip: if you are using agreement with hakeem94 as a positive, you are sorely mistaken

glimmertwins and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How fast do they need to develop?
    Young players are traditionally inconsistent in any team, and there is no substitute for time on court.

Annnd - is Silas the forever coach?

5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Your "point" contradicts itself. How do you expect to win games without developing the players? Are you really that stupid?

6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

$1M, but who cares? You tell the vets to go play, do no coaching whatsoever, throw games and get paid for it.
    I'd do it for $300K.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He shouldn't even be the "just for now" coach. He fails at instilling the most basic basketball principles. I don't mind inconsistency. What I mind is a coach who can:t implement simple, basic fundamental plays to put his players in a position to succeed. A coach who can't recognise the strengths of his players. A coach who doesn't learn from his simple and blatant mistakes. Ffs, we can't even run a basic pick and roll properly. We might as well not even have a coach with all the effect Silas has. There are very simple things he should be doing and ensuring the team can do. Anybody who's played any form of organised basketball knows how to do them (set screens, box out being prime examples) and our supposedly professional team in the top league in the world can't manage to do at even a remotely competent level. That's a problem. Him smiling and acting like everything is cool when we're running around like headless chickens is a problem too. Coaching ****ing matters, regardless of whether you're somebody who thinks deliberately throwing games is acceptable (I'm not.) You still need players to be competent.

tehG l i d e, Imanimal and D-rock like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

I understand people are just throwing random numbers.

MDA was a $5mil per year coach, he wanted a raise, and Tilman didn't give as we all know; so it was beginning of the end. Between Silas and MDA, I rather have MDA, but MDA had his pride / ego. MDA right now is a remote consultant on some team and not a head coach. Both sides (MDA and Rockets) ended up in a lose-lose situation.

Silas' is rumored to be around $4-$5 mil per year, for 4-5 years, so around $20ish mil total. Silas' contract is not as 'cheap' as people think it is. Tilman had a number in mind $5mil, he didn't want to pay extra if team wasn't advancing far into the playoffs. Silas came over when Luka was hot and Rockets still had Harden, so Silas wasn't a coupon coach; supposed to have been an 'offensive genius'.

I agree the owner's cheapness can't be underestimated, this also mean we're locked in with Silas even if he performs badly. Whereas the Cavs org had no problem firing their coaches (and buyouts), I doubt Rockets owner will terminate Silas super early and eat the money.

#108 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    aaquaa and D-rock like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No, winning games develops players….not the other way around. What does it matter though, as Silas neither develops players nor wins games. Any development of players on this team is solely due to John Lucas who does what he can to help this subpar coach. I would actually argue that the definition of “stupid” would be yourself for continually defending a losing coach and proposition!!!

#109 Imanimal, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I've never defended Silas you absolute cretin. Why are you this r****ded, were you dropped on your head or did your mom **** her brother?