1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Head Q&A with the Daily Illini

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SA Rocket, Sep 30, 2005.

1. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

With preseason still a few days away I figured any new little tidbit is still food for the Rocket masses.

http://www.dailyillini.com/media/paper736/news/2005/09/29/Sports/Headed.For.The.Top-1002794.shtml

Headed for the top
    Catching up with former Illini Luther Head
    By Courtney Linehan
    Published: Thursday, September 29, 2005

Luther Head was a consensus second team All-American during his senior season at Illinois. After graduating, he entered the NBA draft, and now is headed for a career with the Houston Rockets. But before he left, the guard stopped by Champaign one more time.

Q: How've things been going since last season ended?
    A: Things have been going, it's good. I've been trying to get used to this life, trying to stay focused and get ready for the season.

Q: What have you been doing to get ready for the NBA? What was your summer schedule like?
    A: Workouts. Working out, getting in shape, trying to stay in shape.

Q: Things are getting started now though, right?
    A: Yeah, everybody's getting into things. Getting ready for training camp, which is coming up on the 3rd. Then I'll try to get through that.

Q: How do you expect to work into the lineup? Is this season going to be basically about getting in there and proving yourself?
    A: Pretty much. That's all you've got to do. You've got to go in there and show them that you're dedicated to winning, and you've got to prove yourself to the coaches and to the rest of the team.

Q: I know when you were drafted, they were saying the team was looking for someone to really bring some youth in. What do you see yourself adding to the program?
    A: Whatever they need me to do. That's all I'm focusing on, just trying to help out the team any way I can. I'll do whatever they want me to do. If they want me to cheer from the bench, I'll cheer from the bench. If they want me to be out there and dive for loose balls, I'll do that. I'll do whatever they need me to do.

Q: I know you've been back on campus already this semester, but is this probably the last time you'll be back for a while?
    A: Pretty much. Just coming out for the last time and enjoying it while I'm here.

Q: Have you and Deron seen each other much since the draft?
    A: Yeah, a couple times I've hung out with him. He came to Chicago a couple times, and I went and hung out with him when I was in Houston. He was living there for a while so I got a chance to see him.

Q: Is it nice to have somebody else who's also transitioning to the NBA at the same time?
    A: I know a lot of the rookies, we're all going through it the same way, just trying to stay focused, trying to get through.

Q: How exciting is it to get to come back and see everybody else?
    A: It's fun. I wish I could come back all the time. But I'm just having fun, enjoying it while I'm here.

Q: How do you think the Illini are going to look this year?
    A: They'll be good. They're a good team, I know some people don't think they're going to be good. I can tell they're going to surprise a lot of people.

Q: Do you miss anything about Champaign yet?
    A: Yeah, everything. That's why I'm here. I come back every chance I get just to hang out.

2. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

The thing i noticed from this interview is that Luther does not think his NBA career is going to be a cakewalk or a party of some sort. He describes it like it will be a tough grind, and a struggle. That's the kind of attitude we need on this team. Sure, people are projecting us to be a top 3 team in the West, but we still need to fight and claw for everything we can get.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

For 975K I'll cheer for the Rockets and dive for loose balls as well. :rolleyes:

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I saw Luther last night at Hooters on Kirby. He was sitting alone eating salad, watchin that stro's game, talking on his cell phone.

I shook his hand, told him I was pulling for the Rockets to draft him (the truth) - he said workouts are going well (not much of a talker)

I told him that I recomnized him now and many others in this town would soon enough - he thanked me

...seems like a nice guy

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

mmmmmmm-kay

6. Toast

Toast Member

What strikes me about that interview is you can't even tell he's playing for the Rockets next year. Generic answers to generic questions. What's up with that?

7. Willis25

...its funny that a guy named "toast" (a generic food) is noting that Head's answer's are generic...

nice afternoon chuckle ! :D

;)

8. superden

superden Contributing Member

how sad, nobody should ever eat alone :(

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

"Headed for the top"..... damn why didn't I think of that in the Head thread.

10. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Can't be <i>that</i> sad, eating at Hooters... ;)

11. Willis25

he's new in town, what's he gonna do - a brutha's gotta get his grub on..

he was watching the game - and basically being completely unrecognizable...

12. Toast

Toast Member

I'm groovin' to some Prince right now. It's on his song called "Head."

Surely there will be enough pre-season film to make a little video? Get R Done!

13. ahbuchen

ahbuchen Member

Good to know there are more Rockets fans at Urbana-Champaign.