1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Head/Alston 1 & 2 in 4th Q 3-FG%

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 19, 2006.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

for players with more than 25 3s.

Luther is #1 by a big margin = 55.5% (25 for 45)
    Alston is #2 at 48.1%

This was printed in a table with the article about Luther, but doesn't show on the web site. I don't recall the other 3, maybe someone can check the chron for me, i've already thrown mine away. Here's the article.

<a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4411816.html">Head aims beyond 3s</a>

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Head is quickly becoming what I hoped for him. Cuttino Mobley with some court vision.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not surprised by Head, but rather surprised by Alston - considering how people were saying he is not a clutch player - this stat seems to indicate that he might become one.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

The guy is humble. Gotta love him.

5. stangend77

stangend77 Member

this is the only reason i am not completely unsatisfied with rafer, every time i am about to scream for his head he makes some late game 3 (after bricking through the first 3 quarters) hopefuly after his last game something will click.

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The charitable spin on Rafer's stats is that he's clutch.

The uncharitable spin is that it takes him three quarters of bad shooting to warm up.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Both of them should be thanking Yao for the wide open looks they get in the 4th as teams are trying desparately to shut down Yao.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's the full stats from the Chronicle:

4th Quarter 3FG% (more than 25 attempts)<br><br><table border=0 cellpadding=1 cellspacing=0><tr><td bgcolor="#666666"><table width="200" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tr bgcolor="#bb0022"><td valign="top" align="left" width="200"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#ffffff"><B>Player</B></font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#ffffff" style="white-space:nowrap"><B>3FM-FA</B></font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#ffffff"><B>3FG%</B></font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td valign="top"><B><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">Head</font></B></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000" style="white-space:nowrap">25-45</font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">.556</font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#dddddd"><td valign="top"><B><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">Alston</font></B></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">13-27</B></font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">.481</font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td valign="top"><B><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">Granger</font></B></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">13-27</font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">.481</font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#dddddd"><td valign="top"><B><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">Barry</font></B></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">12-28</B></font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">.429</font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"><td valign="top"><B><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">Billups</font></B></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">12-28</font></td><td valign="top" align="right"><font face="arial" size="1" color="#000000">.429</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table><br />

9. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

A pretty small sample size. But what I like about them is that they are not afraid to shoot no matter which qtr it is, and they make enough to space the floor. Now if they (and the rest of the team) can just do other stuff (taking care of the ball, defense) better, the team will be better.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tell me about it. Most of the time, Rafer kills this team.

11. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

"because he is undersized and under-quicknessed."

I am not sure if that is true, Head looks awfully quick to me.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's a good point. By the 4th, Yao's scoring is usually getting buried under 3 defenders. Our shooters have to be getting some really wide open looks. All the same, I'm glad our guys are actually knocking them down this year.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The numbers in those charts imply Rafer's 42 out of 124 in the first three quarters so far this season. That amounts to 1.75 out of 5.17 three-pointers per game in first three quarters. Or 33.8%.

14. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

excellent article- thanks... :D

also, anyone noticed how he almost never smiles or celebrates? I dunno, maybe its just me...

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

... says the guy who started to cite stats from 82games.com when the season was only one-week old.

16. Cesar^Geronimo

Most 3 point shooters rely on someone else opening up their shot for them (Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Kobe not included).

17. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

My impression was that Rafer shoot a lot better in the second half than the first half. I don't know if he just have preference of the direction or he just needs miss a lot to become effective.

18. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

That depends on the conclusion you are trying to draw.

If you are saying this is how the guy has done so far, then you can do it after one game, let alone one week.

If you are using 25 shots alone as something that reflects a guy's overall abilities, or that this may become a trend, then 25 shots is not enough.

I remember my observation based on 82games.com stats was about Rockets having done better with Battier on the court than not. That was a statement of what happened during the games up to that point-- that the Rockets had been better overall whenever Battier was on the court.

When I try to predict Battier's overall impact for the rest of the season, I didn't rely on that 1 week worth of data alone, but also added both observation based on game videos (that he tends to make a lot of critical plays-- stopping fast breaks with a strip, taking charges, generally taking care of the ball, etc) as well as the fact that Battier's +/- had been very positive for the last several years (while playing with totally different players on the Memphis team from year to year).

For the purpose of looking at "clutchness" of Rafer and Head, I'd like to take a look at their 4th qtr 3pt shooting in the last few seasons... maybe then we can determine whether this is reflective of something larger than just luck.

19. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

If the conclusion agrees with your stipulation, then the sample is good enough. :)

Dude, a small sample is a small sample no matter what the statistical conclusion you are trying to draw. I would argue that we have played almost one third of the season and it is fair to conlude that Rafer and Luther are not scared to take and make shots in the 4th quarter

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Shooting 3s at a 33% clip is like shooting 2s at a 50% clip. Now if Rafer never shot a 3 and limited himself to shooting mid-range Js and drives to the bucket and he was shooting at 50%, we would say he's pretty good.

I don't know what all the concern is about this 3 pt shooting. He only takes open looks and as long as he is shooting above 33%, I'm OK with it. However I do wish he would do more creating and drive to the basket more frequently to get his overall % up.