1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV - Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Jun 4, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hahaha

I think LED based DLPs have good performance according to the reviews vs Plasma/LCDs, but Sharon Stone prefers plasmas/LCDs.

its karma.

lol!

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: I am off to rent Basic Instinct right now... that 'tang shot has got to look sharp on my DLP. :D

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

So, did you get it? The TV that is...

4. DaDream

DaDream Member

this may not be the right thread but I have a PS3 and a HD ready TV .... brand RCA ... about 3 years old. It has a DVI input but not a HDMI. So I bought a HDMI to DVI cable and hooked the PS3 up that way. When the I turned on the PS3 it recognized the HDMI hook up and asked me if I wanted to use it and I said yes. Then it check my settings and I guess it found that my TV's max resolution is 1080i, and I accepted that. I put on a game (GTA4) and started playing. I noticed a great improvement in picture quality but the picture seemed too wide for my TV. My TV is a wide screen. I do realize this may be a TV issue and not a PS3 issue. I can ussually change the format of my screen with the TV remote. I guess when the DVI input is in use it deactivates that option because it wouldn't work on my remote when I tried changing it in an attempt to make it fit the screen. I went on the setting for the PS3 and couldn't find anything that looked like something I could use. I went on my TV's menu and basically could only use the horizontal shift. It helped when I centered it but it still seems like I need another inch or 2 on either side. Can someone help me with this?

5. tinman

Supporting Member

you should go component input then. you'll be able to get 1080i and the correct format.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://gizmodo.com/5025045/wait-to-buy-hdtvs-about-to-get-even-cheaper

Wait on buying your TV. Fresh off a round of price-cuts barely two months old, Mitsubishi, Sharp, Panasonic and Samsung will drop prices on their sets by as much as $400 in the coming weeks.

With too much inventory and not enough demand, the HDTV makers are cutting prices yet again to clear out stock. After these guys finish slashing, you can expect other bigwigs like Pioneer, LG and Sony to follow suit. So before you shell out for that sweet new LCD or plasma set, make sure you're not overpaying and check out the chart of everything we know so far. [HD Guru]

*Note: The following are "minimum advertised prices". Street pricing, or what they actually charge in store after sales, etc., is usually much less.

[​IMG]

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

9. tinman

Supporting Member

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Speaking of HDTV, why does Blu Ray look so weird? I can't quite explain it, but I've been watching the Blu Ray setups at Best Buy and Circuit City while researching tvs and there is just something wrong about it. At first I thought it was that I wasn't used to the better quality of video, but that wasn't it.

I'm mot sure what is is but the best thing I can do to describe it is say that it reminds me of pan and scan. I was watching Dead Man's Chest and Jumper and there was just this weird artificial camera movement. It wasn't from the actual film, it was like the tv was jerking around the image whenever there was a camera move to keep things from getting blurred or something.

Could it be the tvs? I seem to recall seeing that these tvs have some options you can enable that might be the problem. I can't remember what brand, but there was one of those demos running and it was talking about enabling some anti motion blur thing when watching sports.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

The people at those places are idiots.
    Those 120hz tvs have a smooth motion affect, they have many names for it depending on brand.
    the intent of the smoothing effect is for things like sports, not movies. movies natively run at 24 fps, therefore the high end tvs accept that 1080p/24fps output.
    turning on the smoothing effect makes the film go 60 fps, which causes the motion to look so wierd.

nothing is wrong with the smoothing effect, it's just not necessary for movies, and its doesn't need to be cranked up either.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tinman, any firm dates for the release of the Panasonic Plasma TH-58PZ800U ?

The 50" got such a great review, I am thinking of going with the 58".
    What do you think the pricepoint of the 58" will be? I am hoping Amazon will have it no more than $3200.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

its probably around 3 grand.

you wall mounting that bad boy?

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not going to wall mount because we already have a nice 2 tower/expanding bridge furniture item that the TV is going to go between. (we bought that furniture a while back to surround our old 47" rear projection).

Hopefully that TV will be out in September and not push deep into October.

I hate waiting....but we plan to have the TV for a long time and I think I would kick myself if I went with the 50" right now versus waiting for the 58"

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON