1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV and the Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cohen, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I understand that Cuban's High Def channel on DSS will televise some of the Olympics. :cool:

Finally, something worthy of high def.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You mean the winter Olympics? That would be cool, but I doubt it will be live. Also I wonder if the Superbowl on FOX will be on High Def? Fox is pretty bad when it comes to HD programming. They only have the 4:3 ratio on their HD channel which sucks. CBS which was leading all major networks with their HD programming has started to suck as well. I mean they didnt even televise the football games this past weekend on HD!

3. Cohen

ROckets03,

Why not live?

Anyway, do you ever get distracted watching high-def football? I find myself looking at individual fans in the stands since you can see faces. Its wierd.

4. R0ckets03

Well arent the Olympics on one of the major networks like NBC? They probably have sole rights to televise the Olympics. Why would Cubans HD channel get any rights?

Once in a blue moon, when they do decide to televise football games in HD I do the same thing you do. I keep on looking at the fans and cant believe how clear the whole thing is! :D

5. R0ckets03

Also what all is your home entertainment system comprised of?

6. Bigman

Bigman Member

I just recently bought a HDTV ready 43" widescreen. Are most of the HDTV broadcasts in 4:3 format or the 16:9? I've heard through several sources that in a couple of years that the widescreen format will be the standard. I've also read that Houston is one of four test markets for HDTV and they will be testing as early as next month. I believe CBS, FOX, NBC & ABC here locally will be broadcasting there stuff in HDTV. But I wonder about the formats. Do any of you guys have any info on this?

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

WOW I thought HDTV was a STD. And this thread was going to refer to the number of condoms being handed out to each athlete, like the last summer olympics. . . . :D

Is HDTV really that much better than regular tv? Honest thats my question

8. Cohen

:D

HDTV is REALLY that much better. Honestly.

9. Cohen

HItachi 53" projection , Onkyo DS797 AV Receiver, Sony DVD, RCA High def DSS, Tivo, XBox, Polk surround sound speakers.

And you?

10. R0ckets03

On DirecTV, ABC, FOX and NBC have some sort of 4:3 HD. It sucks! I mean yeah its better then regular, but what the hell is the point of having a widescreen tv then?!?!?! CBS usually broadcasts in 16:9. It is the best of an average bunch. The best is probably the demo channel. HBO has an HD channel. Sometimes they broacast in 4:3, but usually its in 16:9.

11. R0ckets03

If you can, go to a high-end home entertainment system store (something like "Home Theater Store). They have demo HDTV. It is MUCH MUCH MUCH better then regular tv. You wont even believe the difference. Its like being somewhere in person.

Cohen, I've heard the Hitachis are awesome!

My system"

73" Mitsubishi Widescreen TV
    Progressive Scan Toshiba DVD player
    Pioneer Elite 39THX Reciever
    RCA HD receiver
    Gamecube
    PS2
    Xbox

I am the ultimate gaming nerd!

Do you have a progressive scan dvd player? Also if you dont have the Monster cables for Xbox I highly recommend getting em. Makes a BIG BIG difference!

12. Cohen

Rockets03,

I liked a few of the Mitsubishis also. The Hitachi has a fantastic picture - very bright, great color and viewable from all angles. The 53" was the largest that I could fit in. Is yours 16:9? We got the 4:3 since I figured that it would be a while before most programming was 16:9. By then, we'll probably have another TV.

I haven't purchased a progressive scan DVD because I read that if the TV is worth its salt, it's line doubler is better than the DVD players'. Whats your take on that?

How many speakers do you have? Enough for your THX?

I just received the XBox at Christmas; I have only played RTS on PCs for years, no video games, so this is an adjustment. I enjoy it though (I had to buy the steering wheels for Gotham; steering with thumbs was too much for me). Which games do you like? I have Madden football; is Microsoft's better?

I don't have the Monsters for the XBox, are they S-video or Component? I just bought the XBox component video.

13. R0ckets03

Yeah mine is 16:9. Of course most programming is not in 16:9, but the TV strecthes the image. Hardcore videophiles probably wouldnt enjoy this, but I do. Everything about the tv is awesome except for one thing. Its not as great as some of the Hitachis when it comes to side angles.

You need a progressive scan dvd player no matter what your tvs line doubler is. I tried it both ways and it makes a homoungous difference. Toshiba and Elite I think make the best progressive scan dvd player. Check it out at some store and you will notice the difference.

Currenty I have the Energy Encore Speakers. 5.1
    I am looking to add two more speakers and make it 7.1! They run kind of on the expensive side so I am holding off for the while. Of course my reciver is probably my favourite equipment out of everything. The Elite 39 is probably one of the top three recievers on the market right now. I got a great deal on it. My Energy speakers (excellent in their own right) probably dont do justice to the 39.

Do you have a THX certified receiver? Watching Mummy II and Matrix on my system rocks the entire freakin neighborhood! :D

I only have Halo on Xbox and its freakin TIGHT! I am lucky enough that I have all three systems. Currently PS2 is probably the best, but Xbox and Gamecube should catch up soon. I love Mario and Zelda games and they can only be found on the Gamecube.

I dont have the Monsters for Xbox yet either. I have them for PS2 and it makes anenourmous difference. I just figured they would do the same for Xbox. I am probably going to buy them this weekend. They are expensive for some damn wires. S-video is $45 and Component is $65 I think. I experimented with the Monsters on PS2 with Grand Turismo. The background details become at least 2-3 times sharper. The clarity is unbelievable as well.

Anyways get Monster for everything. Your DVD-TV and the Xbox. Try out a progressive scan dvd player also and you will thank me big time! :cool:

Check out this site:

www.audioreview.com

14. Cohen

15. R0ckets03

I need to upgrade on my progressive scan player in the next few months. My dvd player is only about a year old, but i have itchy fingers if you know what i mean.

Are you sure THX demands side speakers? I dont have side speakers (yet). I have the rear and the back and my reciever picks up THX.

I have been watching some of the Olympics on HD. I swear I feel like jumping through the stupid tv into the snow! :D

Anyways where exactly were you raised in Clear Lake and where do live now?

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cohen, I couldn't help but notice you have TIVO. I got one 5/2000. I love Tivo.

I might buy a new TV this weekend. What is the best I can do for around $700?

When are the damn hdtv's going to come down to the $1000 range? I'm too tight to shell out $1500 or more. Also would bre upset to find a new improved one for $999 by Christmas.

17. Cohen

glynch,

I don't even use a VCR anymore; even Super VHS sucks compared to the quality of Tivo, and of course Tivo is far more flexible and user-friendly than tape. Tivo's awesome.

I know what you're saying about TV prices. Mine has dropped by $800 or so in the 14 months since we purchased it.

Don't know much about $700 sets. I spent more on our big set and less on our bedroom sets. I don't think that you can get HD ready for that, but maybe you can still get Digital? I think you want to look for a digital comb filter. Personally, I like Toshibas like : http://shop.store.yahoo.com/salestores/tos36a6sup36.html .

Scarface seems to know the AV market well, maybe he would have some good advice.

18. Cohen

glynch,

Not sure if that Toshiba has component video inputs. You'll probably want that.