1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO working on Game of Thrones Spinoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by blahblehblah, May 4, 2017.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

With the new season of GOTs still weeks away and the series is end in sight, here is some potentially exciting developments.

‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoff in the Works at HBO
    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/game-of-thrones-spinoff-hbo-1202409434/

HBO has closed deals with four different writers to explore multiple possible spinoffs of “Game of Thrones.”

The premium cable channel says that there is no timeline for development of the projects. “We’ll take as much or as little time as the writers need and, as with all our development, we will evaluate what we have when the scripts are in,” a spokesperson said.

The four writers are Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island”), Jane Goldman (“Kingsman: The Golden Circle”), Brian Helgeland (“Legend”), and Carly Wray (“Mad Men,” “The Leftovers”). Goldman and Wray will each be working individually with novelist and “Game of Thrones” creator George R. R. Martin.

“Game of Thrones” executive producers and showrunners Dan Weiss and David Benioff will be attached to the four projects, as will Martin, but will not write on any of them.

A spinoff to “Game of Thrones” — the most watched series in HBO history — has been a source of speculation for years. In recent months, HBO executive began to privately acknowledge that the network was searching for writers to develop ideas based on the series and Martin’s best-selling fantasy novels from which it is adapted.

Related

[​IMG]
    ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 7: First Photos

Asked about a possible spinoff last year at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, HBO programming president Casey Bloys said, “We’ve talked about it. It’s something I’m not opposed to. But, of course, it has to make sense creatively. I am not sure that the guys [Weiss and Benioff] can really wrap their heads around it when they’re just about to start production. It’s a pretty intense production. They’re about to start production soon, but I’m open to it. The guys weren’t opposed to it, but there is no concrete plans, or anything like that at this point.”

Season 7 of “Game of Thrones” is set to premiere July 16. Production on the show pushed the premiere of the new season past its usual April start date, in order to capture the weather the producers wanted. The new season will consist of seven episodes. The eighth and final season, which Weiss and Benioff have already begun writing, will be between six and eight episodes.

The Season 6 finale of “Game of Thrones” drew a series-high 8.9 million viewers in overnight numbers —an expecially high number given premium HBO’s much smaller viewer base than broadcast and basic-cable nets. Season 6 averaged 23.3 million multiplatform viewers, according to the service.

#1 blahblehblah, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When will GRRM finish his books?

malakas and Joshfast like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've thought all along a prequel set before and during Robert's rebellion would do extremely well. Lot's of good material.

They could get 3 or 4 seasons easy.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Probably never.

I'd put the odds at 50/50 and at this point & I don't even care that much.

Which is kinda sad because back before a Dance of Dragon came out, I was completely obsessed with wanting him to finish writing the book & series. Hell I even loved a feast for crows and reread the series 3 times... of course I had like 7 years of waiting to so lol.

Dance of Dragons was a disappointment to me, not that it was bad book per se, just that I didn't love it like I loved the first 3 even 4 books.

More interestingly I wonder what the spinoff will/should be. A prequel focusing on Dunk & Egg? Ned and Rob's younger years? Something else in the past... or an entirely new story about the aftermath or future of the GOT universe after the song of ice and fire.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They should probably do a prequel well in the past instead of doing one based on the books.

Brando2101 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Robert's Rebellion or make it about Bran the Builder and how he built the wall

Sooty, Deckard and heypartner like this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nah, not interested.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. 713

713 Member

Littlefinger's brothel origins please.

body slam, tmactoyao, Jontro and 4 others like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Hedge Knight?

Rocket River

10. 713

713 Member

Finding Gendry: A Game of Thrones Story.

jae713, FLASH21 and Bäumer like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wish HBO would do a series with the same quality level of Game of Thrones that was sci-fi / space in nature.

jae713 and peleincubus like this.
  12. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

If Alt Shift X is not involved in the lore then it is a waste of time....

rhino17 likes this.
  13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'm all in for Dunc & Egg

This will all come out before the next book is released no doubt

Rocket River likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

One of them will propose a Valyria story, what destroyed it and created the smoking sea.

And as @jev5555 the idea of going way back in time to the building of the wall, and forest ppl, the Lightbringer/Azor ... and wouldn't that also allow the backstory of Valyria to be part of the show as well...don't know my timelines well wrt the wall and the heyday of Valyria.

#14 heypartner, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    malakas and Bäumer like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

the valyria story sounds interesting. they could pump out at least 10 seasons from that alone, starting with origins and its pompeii-like downfall.

speaking of pompeii, hopefully valyria was horny like them as well. makes for a good visual story. fap.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fantastic Walkers and Where to Find Them!

jae713 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's made GOT good was they were able to lean on Martin's writing and storytelling. And we've seen the show get worse as they've departed from it. I credit the show for doing a good production value, but their main writers aren't keeping the quality up. And, I don't have much confidence that someone else is going to be able to tell a good story in Martin's universe with so little source material. I know HBO wants to squeeze every nickel they can out of this, but sometimes you need to recognize when a project has run its course and you need to move on.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree the writing has just gotten cliched and bad.

But Weiss and Benioff won't write any of the spinoffs, and the new writers are proven plus they will work with Martin.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How bout?:

Finding Theon: A Story of His Missing Parts.

20. jae713

jae713 Member

Better Call... Little Finger.

heypartner likes this.