1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that was his best role i've seen him in, incredible acting

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. His best role was in cheers!

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, but did people realize that going into the show?

No.... it took several episodes for them to realize this was something "special".

People are making judgements on this season based on 10 minutes worth of footage... just saying that much like last seasons "out of nowhere greatness", this season should be given a fair shake (but people may have to lower their expectations a tad).

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bro

1997 Nominated
    Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role
    The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996)

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Fair, but I think right off the bat I knew True Detective was something special. The first episode felt cinematic and completely enthralling IMO, the setting was so alive and real, and the acting was already top-notch. I will keep watching for sure, but just don't want to keep making excuses like "it's a slow burner" and "give it time like last season" if its just not that good. Season 1 was slow paced, but still great off the bat.

I think just the fact that big name actors doing an HBO crime show was enough to tune in, and when they killed it off the bat people were hooked. I've always thought McConaughey and Harrelson were great, just have done some goofy roles in the past.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

How about season 1 just caught you off guard? Now you are prepared for it and you want to be caught off guard again but it didn't happen for you. It's okay if you don't like it, really it is. I just find it really hard to believe that you found NOTHING at all interesting enough to discuss.

7. bobmarley

And at some point this season, those of you who aren't liking it should just leave this thread to those of us who really want to talk about it.

On a related note, I am getting really tired of the culture that is growing on the internet to crap on anything and everything for the sake of crapping, because everyone is too cool to like anything. Because if you do like something, someone will crap on it and try to make you feel bad about liking it, and paint you as uncool for liking it. So tiring.

1 person likes this.
  8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Who is doing that? People are allowed to have opinions. Some people liked the episode, some people disliked the episode, and as a result we are able to discuss what we liked/disliked about it. That's kind of the point of a message board. You could easily say you are doing the same thing you are complaining of, by generalizing everyone that disliked the episode as some sort of trendy condescending hipster. (Though I do see your point and agree about the growing internet trend of crapping on everything, just don't think it applies here.)

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Thinking back on it over the day, I think the reason the episode didn't seem that great to me was because it was basically a back-story episode. The story arch and plot didn't really kick-start until the very end of the episode, and I think it will get better as it goes on with the trio of cops working uniting on the case. And the back-story was sort of tedious, maudlin, and over-dramatic IMO, and that hurts it as a stand alone episode. If this was just a Netflix show and we could immediately move on to the next episode it wouldn't be as bad, but since this episode is all we have to go on and discuss the criticism is understandable.

10. bobmarley

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

When I said on a related note, I meant that the hate of episode 1 reminded me of the type of general internet hate that abounds.

But I do appreciate you stating why you didn't like the episode, instead of some just saying, "season 1, gaaaaaaaaaahhhh!"

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I have to watch it again but I enjoyed it but it felt heavy handed at times which I hope they loosen up on going forward.

It did have a disjointed feel to it but was still watchable. I'll be checking out the rest of the season.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah. Saw enough to keep me interested, i think once the murder and missing girl arcs start to unfold it will be easier to see how this show will shake out.

I knew that people would be comparing it to the occult heavy stuff from the first season, but I'm glad they are going in a mostly different direction. Comparisons will be tough enough, it would be even worse if they were rehashing the same stuff.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz at people complaining so hard that they've somehow imagined a way to backtrack and hate on season 1 like it wasn't good in retrospect. I don't mind complaining about stuff but you guys are really taking it to a new innovative height. Kudos.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Just caught ep1 last night.

Thoughts -

Colin Farrell is really good in this role. His character is the most interesting so far.

The Rachel McAdams character had some weird **** in her apartment. Like some weird wooden statue and possibly occult books? Did anyone else catch that?

All in all, its a lot like season 1. The cinematography, the eerie dramatic music, the forlorn stares of the characters into their own bleak existences.

I've been in the camp all along that there is no possible way they can replicate the standard s1 set, but so far there is definitely enough intrigue to keep me watching.

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I enjoyed it, definitely has potential for some great storytelling. Did feel like a lot of the "eerieness" was definitely forced.

Like the scene in the bar with Semyon and Velcoro. The girl playing guitar had me rolling my eyes the entire scene.

Aside from that, good stuff.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've be railing against the "The Simpsons/SNL/etc./etc/ were only good in season X" crowd for as long as I can remember.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm liking Vaughn. It's as if his character isn't supposed to be polished. At least not yet. So whatever subconscious "goofiness" triggers that might be pulled in your head kind of work for me. He comes off as very human.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It is cool that Vince Vaughn hasn't aged in 20 years.

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

So many haters in this thread. I was feeling it once the intro started and was hooked with the stare down with Farrell's character being questioned about the "incident". I thought it was bit disjointed but it's a setup episode. I liked how the characters tied in at the end with each trying to get a read on each other. Nothing will compare to the initial excitement and uniqueness that was season 1 but I think this is going to be good and will stand on its own.

1 person likes this.
  20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Disagree

so far its nothing like season 1, maybe it will become more similar as the episodes go by, but right now......nope.