1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/true-detective-season-two-female-lead

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Vince Vaughn? lol not watching

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Season 1 was one of the biggest disappointments I have seen in recent tv history (ok the final episode of How I met your mother was even worse, but that was because I invested much more time in that show).

Spoilers for those who have not seen season 1
    The entire build-up was great but the ending was just plain terrible. They had so many interesting foreshadows and hints, and they did not do anything with it
    1: There had te be more with the Daughters of Marty (the toys)
    2: You expected some kind of monster mastermind, and you get some mentally challenged idiot. Is there anybody who thought he could have done all that he had done and not get caught.
    and many many more

I know the producer or writer said that he didn’t want all the internet theories, but that was what was interesting in the show.

I am not even sure if I am going to watch season 2.:(

4. Convictedstupid

Elizabeth Moss and Colin Farrell? Yes please.

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

To be fair, it was the fans who dug too deep into it. I think you are one of the few that feel like it was a let down. Season 1 had some of the best acting ever on a TV show.

The guy who did it was just the last guy alive that was carrying on the tradition, remember it jumped ahead many years. I agree that there had to be more with the daughters but I was able to let that go.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

3 comedic actors & Gambit. The writer is just going out of his way to fill the cast with mediocre talent to show he can write them into Emmy's. Like Wahlberg in The Departed.

1 person likes this.
  7. arno_ed

Yes the acting was great, I agree. And I know that the writer didn't want us too dig in to deep, but to me that was what made the show interesting. If you take away all the theorizing what is left is a show with great acting, subpar story, bad character building, plot holes and missed chances that is just plain boring.

The pace of the show was so slow that the show was just plain boring except for the theories (It is a problem HBO has more often I stopped watching Leftovers because it was moving forward way to slowly).

It was pretty boring if you factor out all the theorizing. I am someone who loves character building, but even that was not that good here.

I also expected a bit more involving Cohles family. I was convinced Coles girl was killed by the guy they killed at the beginning, and he used this investigation to get even with him

I am one of the people who really hates the Michael Bay type of movies with no story. But this was a story they could have told us in half the time. Many people say that my favorite books (the Malazan books of the Fallen) have to much filler and philosophical rambling, but it was nothing compared to this show.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The true greatness of the show was the story and portrayal of Rust Cohle. Everything else seemed like accents to cast a glow around arguably the greatest television character ever created.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

To me, when season 1 ended I felt the same way as when I was walking out of the theater after seeing The Dark Knight for the first time.

"Nothing they do after this will ever live up to this". Was the only depressing thought.

10. arno_ed

I agree that Rust Chole was greatly portraied by Mcconaughey (I did not like him as a actor before this, but now i really respect him). But the story of this show was underwhelming, and since there was not some greater story behind Rust
    For example how his family was killed
    it just ended pretty blend.

Like I said I really enjoyed the show when I watched it, but that was because of all the possibilities I saw, but in the end they just ignored all thos possibilities.

There is always a moment in a movie/series were everything has to come together to make or break the movie/series (for example in Magnolia it started raining frogs at that moment, and ruined a otherwise pretty enjoyable movie) and in this series that moment broke it badly.

Seriously? What exactly did you like so much about it?

I know that feeling with specific books, but for me that was not the case with this series.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think you're missing the forest for the trees.

It was never about The Yellow King and solving the case, it was about a man trying to figure out why he was alive.

The Yellow King was a bit of a letdown, but if you look at the parallels, it is a microcosm of Rust's entire plight. He was always missing what was right in front of him. He was focusing on the larger conspiracy instead of seeing the simple truth. He was lost trying to wrap his head around existence when all he really had to do was live. The answer was right in front of his face the whole time. It was his inability to accept the simple truth that tormented him. In the ending sequence, he finally has that epiphany, and that proves what the show was really about.

#31 moestavern19, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is what separates those who liked the finale from the ones that were letdown. I thought the conclusion was pretty damn deep and completely unexpected. The case went somewhat unsolved but he finally found peace.

13. arno_ed

I understood that i just found that boring.

I agree that i thought i was watching one thing (a great detective series) while i was watching a drama series about a guy fighting his own demons.

To me the yellow king was important.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

How about Christoph Waltz???

1 person likes this.
  15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Watch Clay Pigeons, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118863/ , and I think you will see the psychopathy that he can bring to True Detective.

(but The Internship is just horrible and he is horrible in it)

16. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

What a wild cast

17. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Wait what?

So... you did not like Mcconaughey in:
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Mud
    Lincoln Lawyers
    Wolf on Wall Street (brief role)
    East Bound & Down (good guest role)

18. arno_ed

Did not watch de those movies. Only saw him in stupid romantic movies.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, Vince Vaughn is confirmed? Color me intrigued...

20. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Vince Vaughn played Norman Bates in the Gus Van Sant remake of 'Psycho'