1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

**** episode saved by the ending

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rust is a mystery that slowly unfolds. We see glimpses of who he is, what he's about, where he comes from, but with Frank there isn't any mystery as to what he is or what motivates him. He's a gangster. He does bad things for money. There isn't much of a need for pretext there. We understand what he is and readily accept it. His wife is a conduit to his sincere and vulnerable side, but that seems to be her only real function.

I actually enjoyed this episode much more than any of the previous ones. The dialog was snappier. McAdams and Kitsch are still brooding drudgeries of lost soul cops, but Velcoro is really starting to shine.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing that makes Velcoro as a character is his relationship with his son. It rips your heart out. None of the other characters have anything close to that.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think they are not good reveal HOW GANGSTER he is . . . .
    I did not like the fighting scene . . . .
    Vaughn has not sold me on him being a legit business man enough
    for me to be shocked by his criminal persona . . .which he is not selling me on
    His Range just has not been wide enough for it to fully blossom
    well. . . not yet

Rocket River

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know. It seems like I'm having to work way too hard to follow the story line.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Got to say, this season has been a disappointment -- that is until the end of last night's episode. I almost was going to give up and just binge watch at the end of the season, but now....I'll have to tune in next week for sure.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Here, go make a thread someone. <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uj5Nt-HoBhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

No one is supposed to replace anyone from last season... they are their own people and pasts. Trying to force them to live up to past characters or equate with them is short changing everyone.

I thought the episode was good, Varcoro and Bezzirides changing roles on who is more compromised by their past, present and future positions and deeds... frank reverting to who he once was little by little... and the realization that they are all pawns to an extent. Velcoro or whatever his name is seems to be the only one who really gets it, and he cares the least. Makes him stronger by the episode, as his past is the only one that seems to be fading while others are slapping them in the face.

#328 CrazyDave, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let the BULLETS FLY I guess

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If Vince Vaughn would just stop slow-talking for effect and be more natural I could buy his character more.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Can someone tell me what the conversation was about between Frank and his subordinate (Blake?). I watched it twice and still didn't understand it. Who the hell is Stan? http://www.pajiba.com/true_detective/who-the-hell-is-stan-on-true-detective.php

louche
    Any person, thing, or situation which is sketchy, shady, or undesirable.

http://truecrime.io9.com/true-detective-goes-into-full-action-movie-mode-and-1717507714

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/true-detective-recap-s2e4/

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/true-detective-recap-season-2-episode-4.html

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/true-detective-down-will-come-222165

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

"Osip", the guy that was really "happy to see him" is the Russian they were trying to do the deal with in the first few episodes.

I guess they feel he was getting a little too close to the Russians for comfort, so Frank gave him a crap job to prove himself again.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1 person likes this.
  14. val_modus

val_modus Member

I wonder what people would think of this show if season one was never made, and so they never had to constantly be compared to season one on a pedistle. "Living up to expectations" aside, I've enjoyed this season in spite of Vince Vaughn's cringeworthy performance (btw, what happened to the gigantic bags under his eyes??).

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've fell behind the last couple of weeks, so I'm just going to wait until the end of the season and just binge watch. I have a feeling that it may be more enjoyable that way.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This there,

[​IMG]

might just be the lighting.....

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I liked the action scene, but it still doesn't save what was another terrible episode

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like this season. If there wasn't a season 1 I wouldn't even be watching right now and if I was I would have bailed after episode 1.

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Thing about Vince Vaughn is he has ****ty lines, but his delivery is the same when he's doing mobster things, talking to Colin Farrell, or when he talks to his wife. He has no range at all.

McAdams has the same issues, except we've really only seen her once in a private moment with her sister.

Farrell, for sure has had the most interesting character.

Also, while the end of the last episode was great, how ridiculous was it that they (all the cops) did not just wait out while calling for SWAT. Taking on assault rifles with handguns seems like an odd choice, especially with innocent bystanders everywhere.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Stan was a crew member of Vince's who got killed. His body was in that warehouse pit...episode 2 or 3.