1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I assume they'll get into it. I'll be disappointed if they just touch on it and leave the case half-open like TD1's ending (which I loved, totally on board with that stance in that scenario). In this instance... I need this case to get flashed out more.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah at the end of TD1, it became clear that it was really about the journey of these two guys and their fight of light against the dark etc. etc. and about gaining optimism about humanities place in this world. Pretentious.... sure. but I loved the ending. Carcosa/Yellow King and the Evangelical world that supported that ritualistic underworld was just a representation of the darkness.

In TD2, I think its going to be really hard for the audience to grasp "the darkness" if you don't fully emerge at least one of our characters in that world to uncover what is truly going on, and who is pulling the strings.

Corrupt land deals, and essentially a fake city of Vinci with money changing hands wont captivate an audience to show them how F-ed up this world is.

If you take them to Guerneville (which was mentioned 2 times last week I believe), that's where stuff can really get crazy, and blow everyone away. As a storyteller, you can't just mention that kind of thing and brush it off as an Easter egg you never really get to.

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Chamillionaire

I have to admit, although I wasn't impressed with TD2 at first, it's starting to warm up to me. TD1 is still by far has a better cast, plot, and overall feeling to the show. TD2 feels like 21 jump street with some sick twists to it or something.

The last episode IMO was by my favorite so far.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Is it good yet? After the first 2 episodes I decided to wait and binge watch later.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not much different than the first 2 episodes, but it has picked up slightly, and tonight's ending scene was the first really terrific scene this season has had, IMO.

This season will probably never come close to Season 1, but it's gradually improving. Tonight was very solid.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I had high hopes that maybe this would be Vince Vaughn's coming out party... but he has been disappointing.

Everyone else is good though. Especially Colin Farrell.

I'm definitely getting trapped in this season now. Tonight u actually went back to re-watch quite a few spots.

9. Chamillionaire

Vince Vaughn hasn't impressed me since Swingers. I thought CF would be terrible, but he's actually one of the more interesting characters on the show. But it's not even close to TD1.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That finale was pretty intense.

I've warmed up more and more to this show as it's gone along, I've been rewatching the episodes before the new one comes out actually. Like people have said it won't be season one but it's still pretty solid.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

So it seems like the formula is super slow pacing, then weird bar singer chick, then BANG.

As weird as it is I'm enjoying the ride.

12. dobro1229

Much like season 1, its definitely shot like an 8 hour film, or at least a two act film. Parts 1 & 2 wont make sense until 7 & 8.

With this season we are given some bread crumbs of where we are going if you are an intuitive watcher. Both with the characters, the plot-lines, and the "big bad" occult. Actually the opening title sequence gives some pretty on-the-nose breadcrumbs as well. The last shot in the sequence is almost surely where the series is going to have its climax.

So yeah... you might want to wait and view the entire thing in one sitting or at least wait until we are at week 6 or 7 if you are a viewer that needs to be wrapped up in a bow every week as a true episode, and not written like a chapter.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Somebody needs to make a supercut of Vince Vaughn reading those hard-boiled 50's detective/wiseguy lines (ostensibly in the present era....). Cringe-wrothy. I don't want to fault him too much because he didn't write the script.

14. dobro1229

Actually had hopes for this casting when I heard the news not cause of Swingers VV, but actually from some of his early work in movies such as Clay Pigeons if you ever saw that one when he played dark & creepy still 100% VV.

However this particular character is just not working with him thus far in the quieter moments or the moments opposite his love interest.. which is 90% of his character.

I actually feel like this character was written originally for a younger Jon Voight believe it or not. Maybe I'm just thinking about his character from Heat, but that seems to fit the depth of the character a little more. Speaking of Heat, Val Kilmer might have been a better choice as well.

I applaud them for having faith in VV, but its obvious to me that he's the weak link. But I encourage everyone to go back and watch him in Clay Pigeons. I think there are roles for him outside of his classic comedy roles, but he's missed so far in this one.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Colin Farrell is carrying the show so far. Never thought that would be the case, but his character is the only one so far with any layers. Not to say that McAdams and Kitch haven't been good, but their characters both annoy me with how one-dimensional they are.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Velcoro is the funniest character on TV and I genuinely mean that as a compliment. Life has beaten him down like George Costanza. He gets these killer one liners. People make fun of him. He dresses funny.

Give Farrell the Emmy for best comedic performance now.

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I think people are being too hard on Vince Vaughn. He is not doing a bad job. He is playing some depressed former gangster who is losing folks around him. He is trying to figure out who is coming after him. How exactly is he suppose to act?

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the problem with Vince Vaughn's character is the writing and acting is trying too hard to replicate the introspective nature of Russ in season 1.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Vaughn's character isn't fleshed out enough for us to care how introspective he is. Its like an extremely abbreviated Tony Soprano. We know he's haunted by his past. So is everyone else.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

McConaughey's character wasn't also in the beginning yet he had that sense of aloofness and a 'deep thinker' from the very first episode. It's just McConaughey was naturally good at portraying that type of individual.

You are correct though that part of Vaugn's character feeling forced is that we just don't care enough about him to be some sort of deep introspective thinker like a Russ redux.